A fun project for my wife

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from wolf creek knives

When we had the drawings done for our new home my wife wanted a sun room. I knew that with time the sun room would require furniture etc., some of which would fall on me to make. The first request was a small table for my wife and I to have breakfast and coffee. She wanted a tile table top so I had my first challenge. I'm a wood worker, not a tile guy. So she agreed to do the tile work as long as I did everything else. Here's the table after it was finished. The legs are 1/2" steel pipe and the edge band around the tile was Black Walnut covered with 3 coats of WOP. It was a fun project that I really enjoyed doing. It measures around 22" square and fits the room nicely. Thanks for looking.

sunroom table1.jpg sunroom table 2.jpg

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

BULLWINKLE

When I was younger I did tile work professionally. I must say that you both did an amazing job on the table. I suggest that after the cement and grout have time to cure, I'd give it a week, apply silicone sealer (made specifically for this purpose) to the grout for protection against spills as grout is porous. I found that a cheap foam wedge shaped brush works best. Avoid getting sealer on the tiles and if any does (probably will have some) clean it off immediately. Once it dries on the tile it is much more difficult to remove. I'd repeat the sealant every year. Great job !
The sealant is available in the tile section at Lowe's or Home Despot.

howsitwork

When we had the drawings done for our new home my wife wanted a sun room. I knew that with time the sun room would require furniture etc., some of which would fall on me to make. The first request was a small table for my wife and I to have breakfast and coffee. She wanted a tile table top so I had my first challenge. I'm a wood worker, not a tile guy. So she agreed to do the tile work as long as I did everything else. Here's the table after it was finished. The legs are 1/2" steel pipe and the edge band around the tile was Black Walnut covered with 3 coats of WOP. It was a fun project that I really enjoyed doing. It measures around 22" square and fits the room nicely. Thanks for looking.

View attachment 350019 View attachment 350020
Tom

that's truly beautiful work . Glad the move went well (?)

Only worry you've now got is she can now look out on the " garden project" . There in lies your next mission 🥹🥹I speak from experience of this . On the bright side several " essential tools " were aquired 👍

When I was younger I did tile work professionally. I must say that you both did an amazing job on the table. I suggest that after the cement and grout have time to cure, I'd give it a week, apply silicone sealer (made specifically for this purpose) to the grout for protection against spills as grout is porous. I found that a cheap foam wedge shaped brush works best. Avoid getting sealer on the tiles and if any does (probably will have some) clean it off immediately. Once it dries on the tile it is much more difficult to remove. I'd repeat the sealant every year. Great job !
The sealant is available in the tile section at Lowe's or Home Despot.

Thanks for the advice. I'll have to look into it.

Tom

that's truly beautiful work . Glad the move went well (?)

Only worry you've now got is she can now look out on the " garden project" . There in lies your next mission 🥹🥹I speak from experience of this . On the bright side several " essential tools " were aquired 👍

Thanks Ian. You're right about the garden project. We had a landscaper come in and do the big stuff but my wife is already looking at a vegetable garden off the back patio. I guess I'll be pretty busy this summer.

Very nice, really like the tile.

The tile came from a Habitat for Humanity store in Great falls. Our mountain home (cabin) was almost completely done with just about everything coming from that store. If you've got one nearby you'd be surprised at some of the deals they have there...and you don't have to buy boxes and boxes of tile or flooring and you save big $$$$$.

wood-of-1kind

Check out the new tile grout made by Mapei as their new formulation does NOT require sealing. Should save you time in the long run as resealing grout tiles is no fun. I believe that Lowe's carry the new Mapei colored grouts. I just finished our new bathroom and the new grout looks great.

BULLWINKLE

Check out the new tile grout made by Mapei as their new formulation does NOT require sealing. Should save you time in the long run as resealing grout tiles is no fun. I believe that Lowe's carry the new Mapei colored grouts. I just finished our new bathroom and the new grout looks great.
Must have come to market after I quit tiling. Sounds great and you're right. Sealing is a pain. Especially floors in large rooms !

Top Bottom