A fruitful chance encounter!

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

NGLJ

In September my wife and I went for a short vacation to Pender Harbor on the Sunshine Coast of British Columbia, Canada. Close by where we were staying I saw a sign which read, "Plumb Bob, woodturner". Of course, I had to investigate this. Luckily, I spotted what I believed to be him working in his front yard. Indeed it was him, real name Bob James, and I introduced myself. Being fellow woodturners always helps, and Bob was very friendly and welcoming. I greatly enjoyed my few hours with Bob, who is a multi-talented individual. In addition to woodturning (mainly large bowls), he is renovates motor cycles, old cars, and stained glass windows. You can see some of his work at www.plumbbob.ca. He makes bowls mainly from Arbutus (aka Madrone), Pacific Yew, and a wood which I need to identify (see attached).

He showed me around his home, which you would have to see to believe, since it looks like a museum inside with stained glass windows on the walls instead of paintings, and beautiful model boats that he has made. As if the talents mentioned wasn't enough, he trained to be a professional concert pianist! Bob is a very eclectic individual. As I was about to leave he said, "would you like some wood?". Can a duck quack :). He literally has huge piles of wood scattered all over his large property. He gave me some Arbutus, Pacific Yew (both of which are abundant in the area), and the "mystery wood" in the form of a log about 3" in diameter and about 18" long. I have started to make use of all of the wood, but so far only completed a pen using the "mystery wood" with a cigar kit. The wood is very hard (drilling was a challenge) but turns and finishes very nicely. See attached photos. If anyone has any idea what the wood might be please let me know. My only clue is that I "think" Bob mentioned Laburnum, but my memory isn't what it used to be :(.

Attachments

• 2023-10-24_15-25-27.jpg
    2023-10-24_15-25-27.jpg
    23.6 KB · Views: 89
  • 2023-10-24_15-27-23.jpg
    2023-10-24_15-27-23.jpg
    78 KB · Views: 89
Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

leehljp

Member Liaison
The wood grain and color reminds me very much of (Japanese) mulberry, called kuwa. I have several large pieces somewhere. If it is mulberry, when green cut, the tannins will turn the air exposed wood almost walnut brown in color, but when air dried for a while, it is almost teak colored.

Last edited:

sorcerertd

Well, I don't know, but I did a search for Laburnum and it certainly looks like that could be it.

The logs are from a google search, but there are a lot more pics on the Hobbit House site.

Attachments

• 1698204470950.png
    1698204470950.png
    860.6 KB · Views: 39

NGLJ

1698205461681-png.362307

This looks exactly like the end of the log. So, it definitely could be Laburnum.

Attachments

• 1698205461681.png
    1698205461681.png
    362.6 KB · Views: 183

leehljp

Member Liaison
Laburnum and mulberry look very much alike, including the tannins which turn it brown on the ends when green.

Last edited:
Top Bottom