A Curly Maple Cane

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from Jim in Oakville

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi,

Well I am not going to try and convince you I knew what I was doing, but I decided to try my hand at making a cane (first one ever) with shaping a wood handle with rasps and files.

I made this cane to be used in my right hand, I have a hip problem right now (hip replacement operation pending). I am not sure if I like the added detail I carved or if it’s a tacky detail, but it’s done now.

IMG_8449.jpg

I decided I needed to make myself a cane. I wanted to make something that was unique and mine. I had a vision of a curly maple cane with a shaped handle that fit my hand and felt good in my grip. I also wanted to use a finish I have used before with curly maple, an antique finish that I first read in a Jeff Jewitt article.

IMG_8446.jpg

IMG_8438.jpg

IMG_8436.jpg

The finish is fairly simple, two aniline dyes (one dark brown, one light brown), Wacto Danish oil and amber shellac. The dyes are applied in a sequence that begins with the dark brown first. It will soak into the end grain of the open curl.

IMG_8447.jpg

I then sanded off all the dark finish I could, leaving the dark dye still in the end grain of the figured maple. Then I applied the lighter brown aniline dye and set it to dry. Two wipe on coats of Watco followed by three coats of shellac make up the final top coat application.

The result is a cane I can use and know no one else has one like mine. I am not going to say much about my shaping or carving skills except I know that this was fun and I would try it again.

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Rifleman1776

Well done. Not tacky at all. It is your personalized cane. Hope all goes well with the surgers. Hip replacement has gotten very sophisticated in recent years. Hopefully, a couple months after the surgery, the cane will be a display item in your home.

JimGo

That is beautiful! Excellent job. I like all the little embellishments - it really makes the cane special. Congratulations!

gerryr

Looks pretty neat to me. I never saw a claw-foot cane handle before, at least that's what it looks like. And good luck with the surgery.

ahoiberg

ca finish? [;)]
really, it's a beautiful piece, i've often thought of making a cane and i do believe you've inspired me!
that wood has a great figure.

Hiram33

very nice looking cane. I am working a a cane that will have stone handle and will post the pictures as soon as I complete it good luck with the operation

BigRob777

Jim,
Wow, that's gorgeous. I really like the finish and the way it enhances the curl. I've been getting requests for cane wood lately. It must be getting big. Well, I can see why.
Rob

jedgerton

I hope your surgeon is as skilled in his trade as you obviously are with turning and woodworking. Best of luck with the surgery!

John

Thanks Every One,

I appreciate your kind words and comments. I enjoy using this finish to make figured soft maple stand out...I think it does well on this cane.[:)]

My operation is this spring, I look forward to loosing this constant pain.

[8D]

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom