A couple of firsts :)

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
Status
Not open for further replies.

ryannmphs

Well, not a pen (I have been doing those, just not posting them as much :)) but it did involve a couple of firsts for me.

This is my first baby rattle, and my first turning with captive rings (3 of them). Now I know there is room for improvement. The spindle with the rings needs to be smaller and I don't like the handle. I'm open to suggestions about anything and everything. The overall lenght is about 5.5", the wood is maple with mineral oil finish.

Rattle_1.jpg

Thanks for lookin'
(p.s. no, this is not for me[:p]. I have a sister and 2 co-workers that are expecting)

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

chigdon

I think it is great and something I have yet to try. As to your question for suggestions, the scale is off to me. I think you could play around with the thickness but mainly I would say the handle should have been longer so 2/3 of the length would have been the handle. Maybe a rounded handle end that would not sit up would look better as well. All in all I think it is great and will have to try it sometime.

tipusnr

I like it. Don't know much about these things but I would watch getting too thin on the spindle or the rings. Need enough heft to ensure nothing breaks off while the baby has it!

ryannmphs

Chris,
Thanks for the input. I've found a couple other designs on the net that I'm going to try as well.

Bill,
I had a hard time breaking a piece of this wood that was an 1/8" thick by 3/4" wide, infact I never did break it. I used it as a strirring stick.

Thanks all for the replys
Ryan

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom