A Couple New Stoppers

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
Status
Not open for further replies.

Fangar

Hey Guys,

I have been doing some work with the new Stopper Kits that Bob Gnter came up with. They work really well in actually "Stopping" the liquid in the bottles. They are a little bit more challenging to turn, but results ina unique design possibility. Each stopper has two pieces that Ar turbed. It reminds me of turning a very small peppermill. The top wooden piece is rotated while the lower piece is held with your other hand. The rubber stopper expands in the neck of the bottle.

The first one is Bloodwood with an acrylic cap:

2006813161421_ginterbloodwood1.jpg

2006813161447_ginterbloodwood2.jpg

THe above photo shows the mechanism hidden inside.

2006813161636_ginterbloodwood3.jpg

The Stopper in Action.

Next is a Mexican Cocobolo. The Top on this one is a piece of Red Mallee Burl (Sapwood) scrap. On this stopper, I wanted to see if a smaller stopper blank could be used by leaving the rubber stopper exosed a bit. Works just fine. I like the appearance too.

200681316180_gintercocobol1.jpg

2006813161814_gintercocobol2.jpg

Thanks for looking.

Cheers,

Fangar

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Fangar

Originally posted by vick
<br />Veryinteresting do you have a link for the stoppers kits?

Funny you should mention that. I am in the process of building him a website to sell the stoppers. I should have it up within the next couple of weeks. As of now, he does not have a site.

Fangar

wood-of-1kind

I may have to take up drinking just so I can put some of these great bottle stop designs to good use. They look great and I just can't say enough about your finish. Still trying to emulate your results with CA and I may just succeed... in twenty years time.[:D]
-Peter-

Fangar

LOL... Thanks Peter. I finish my stoppers with Deft Spray lacquer. It works great and really makes a difference. Three coats about 20-30 minutes apart. Then let cure for a couple of days. No buffing after the fact.

Fangar

bradh

Every now and then someone comes up with a great idea. This is one of those times. Stoppers look so much better without that massive cone sticking out the end.
Brad

Draken

Can you post a photo of just the mechanism while we wait the arrival of the website? Those stoppers look good, but need to get used to the missing "cone".

Cheers,
Draken

Fangar

Thanks for the kind words. I am working on the web page now. It should be up soon if I can get some darn time. Here is a photo of the mechanism. The left is relaxed, the right is engaged. The metal anchor is pressed into the top form. The unit is like a pepper mill where there are two pieces. The bottom portion gets glued into the lower form. I will let Bob know that he has a line forming. I will see if I can get a direct email to post where you guys can get some prior to the sites completion. His instructions are pretty bad right now. I am writing a new set with photos.

2006814171522_ginter.jpg

2006814171758_parts.jpg

2006814171827_bottle.jpg

Cheers,

Fangar

They look great Fangar. The extra work to make them looks like it will be worth while. I like the look of them better than the cone shaped ones so I'm looking forward to getting some to try.

Ausdan

Great work - good to see a new design take shape. Great craftsmanship & finishing to suit the fittings too Fangar! As previously said - this makes a welcome change from the normal cone stoppers. I find it a little difficult to size those fittings - any chance of some rough dimensions of the fittings?

Cheers

Dan

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom