A bowl from a board

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from Mack C.

Mack C.

Passed Away Sep 29, 2018
In Memoriam
Charlie Clougherty aka NewLondon88 most graciously sent me a small board of marble wood.
Macksboard.jpg

This board measured approx. 5¾" sq. X ¾" thick.

I showed this board to a friend of mine who said if you send that to me I will turn you a bowl from it.

MackCBowl01.jpg

Here's the bowl. It measures about 5¾" in dia. and is about 2¾" high and slightly thicker than 1/8". I haven't had my hands on it yet. I'm not about to trust it to the postal service.

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

bdonald

That's neat. If it were me, I'd take it one more step and use a contrasting wood for laminating inbetween the layers that he did, but that's the nice thing about wood turning, we each can come up with something different and turn out something equally as beautiful. And darn nice of Charlie to send that!

markgum

:confused: yeah; how did he do that?? :confused: I have several 3/4" and 1" board that could be made into nice bowls. I've seen one way to use a dove-tail joint and to cut and glue circles from them. but since the one piece 'flew' off the router table when trying to cut it; put that idea on the shelf for a while.

Mack C.

Passed Away Sep 29, 2018
In Memoriam
For all those interested in a bowl from a board, here's a tutorial this gentleman has put together on a Woodworking site.

http://forum.canadianwoodworking.com/showthread.php?t=18252

I know this was one of his 1st attempts at a bowl from a board. He has branched far far out from where he 1st started.

I'm not in a position to answer questions regarding his methods etc. but will pass them on and I'm certain he will answer.

Top Bottom