A Bamboo pen?

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
Status
Not open for further replies.

chitswood

I have an Elderly friend looking for a pen made of Bamboo? I had given her one of the many pens made for me when I first join and she was very impressed. I believe the pen will be going to a friend of hers.

I think I've seen a Bamboo pen, I just don't remember who made it.

Any help? This would be a Christmas present.

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

chitswood

No, I won't be making this pen, I don't have enough experience and it would take me too long just to find all the parts necassery for turning one, including the kit. Besides that, I'm already busy trying to finish making wood gifts, I have....today to finish them[B)]

I forgot to mention that she wants it to be a fountain pen. BTW, I can always send some nice pen blanks to HELP pay for the pen.

wood-of-1kind

http://www.penturners.org/forum/topic.asp?ARCHIVE=true&TOPIC_ID=12123&whichpage=1#123288

This is one that I made out of bamboo. Very plain grain IMO.

-Peter-

Skye

Because she doesnt know it'll turn out like that.

I'd suggest asking her if she wants it turned so it looks like it has the knuckles like real bamboo does.

Also, someone made a neat pen with bamboo similar to the method Eagle used on the toothpick pen. I thought that was much better looking, but a bear to make.

ctEaglesc

Passed Away Jul 4, 2008
In Memoriam
What might be cool if you could find living bamboom is to cut it, stick it in Dyed water them Nuke it.
Cut on the bias.

Dario

Originally posted by ctEaglesc
<br />Cut on the bias.

Not the bamboos here [;)]...most of the ones I see are small and have thin walls.

In Asia, I've seen some that are more than 8" diameter and almost solid to the core. Probably some are even much bigger.

laspringer

Bamboo is very plain, I tried to use the knot at the nib end.

20061214183055_Bamboo.jpg
<br />
Alan

alamocdc

Originally posted by chitswood
<br />I have an Elderly friend looking for a pen made of Bamboo? I had given her one of the many pens made for me when I first join and she was very impressed. I believe the pen will be going to a friend of hers.

I think I've seen a Bamboo pen, I just don't remember who made it.

Any help? This would be a Christmas present.
Darick, I've turned several Bamboo pens using actual Bamboo cane, not laminate.

<b>Image Insert:</b><br />
200591331657_des_bamboo.jpg
<br /> You can see the remains of a knuckle under the clip.

baldysm

I made a bamboo pen in the past.

You need to clarify what is meant by a bamboo pen. Do you mean bamboo made like laspringer made, or do you mean bamboo where you use the natural edge, something like http://www.paradiseclothingco.com/alohahawaiiantropicalpens.asp?

I made one with the natural edge. Biggest problem was finish. My customer wanted a brown finish. Stain doesn't penetrate, and just about any finish (lacquer, PU, etc) didn't stick very well. Had major problems with peeling on the finish. Tried mixing the stain and PU, lacquer, etc.

I finally got it done with varnish and stain mix. I wasn't real happy with it. It looked ok, but the varnish didn't stick as well as I would like.

wdcav1952

Activities Manager Emeritus
This is one I did with a piece of the bamboo beside it for comparison. If this strikes your fancy, I'm sure we could make a deal.

http://www.penturners.org/forum/photo_album_view.asp?cname=Main+Album&mid=203&cid=259&page=2#

Mark4583

That almost looks like Antler, nice pen though.
CSU has Bamboo blanks with a pic of a pen in there catalog.

chitswood

Ron sent me an email? I didn't receive it if he did.

BTW, I showed the bamboo pens to the person looking to buy one, and i guess she changed her mind on what she wants, but thank you everyone for the info.
Right now I know she is interested in buying a fountain pen that looks purdy, the pen is going to the husband of a friend of her's. I'm trying to figure out what she want the pen to look like[}:)]

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom