80th Birthday Pen

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from Texas Taco

Texas Taco

My neighbor is celebrating his 80th birthday and I wanted to do a little something for him. For the pass 15 years he's been more like a grandfather to my boys than just a neighbor.

He's a Vietnam Vet, flew fighters and close air support while he was there. Recently I helped him build a small memorial for his squadron mates and the troops on the ground he supported that didn't make it home. That and the fact his golf shirts are have a Stars and Stripes theme, I turned this pen for him.
IMG_20190616_165109.jpg

IMG_20190616_164946.jpg

IMG_20190616_164831.jpg

IMG_20190616_164708.jpg

Excuse the crappy photos. The lighting sucks and they were taken by my phone.

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

OZturner

Beautiful Story Tony,
And a Wonderful Gesture, for a Great Neighbour and Friend.
Your Theme of the Stars, and Stripes, is most Fantastic and Appropriate.
I am sorry, but I feel that we have to be honest, and any suggestions are made, because we want to always strive for a Better Pen.
I also understand the Mobile Phone Camera's shortcomings, and it looks like there was a string of Led lights behind, that have cast a reflection on the lower portion of the Blank, just above the Ring.
Your Blank could have been turned down some more, so that the Lower edge, was the same diameter as the Bush, and the Lower Ring.
Also, I have a "thing" about "Large Barrel" Shaped Pens.
Not everyone agree's with me, but unless your neighbour has Arthritis, or difficulty gripping the blank, it could be reduced in the center diameter, making it less Barrel Shaped.
Most Turners starting out, are understandably hesitant to turn Blanks down to the Bushing Diameters.
Blanks can be expensive, and easily damaged or destroyed.
So what I suggest, is get some firewood, and make blanks, about 5/8" square and about 6.5" long, then cut them into 2" long (about the size of a slimline blank).
Drill a hole the size of your mandrel, through the Blank, then put 1 or 2 onto your Mandrel, using your Slimline Bushes, then turn the firewood Blanks to the diameter of the Bushes,
Do this until, you have the Confidence, and Muscle Memory, of turning them to that diameter.
This will give you great experience of using your Tools, especially your Skew, where you can try turning to get a finish, where it may, "almost not needed to be sanded".
I loved your Pen, your Story, and what you did for your Neighbour, and I didn't feel real comfortable in giving those negative comments.
So I hope you please, take what I have said in the Spirit in which is was given.
I look forward to seeing your Pens in the near future.
Kindest regards,
Brian

Texas Taco

Thanks for the comments. Yes, the neighbor has arthritis which is the reason for the shape. I do not like pens turned that fat either but it's not for me.

Yes there was a L.E.D. light strip that caused the reflection and I didn't notice it until after I had posted the photos.

I do not know why the blank appears to be a bit proud as it was not. After turning pens for almost 30 years I might not be perfect but my fit is right on the money.

thomgarner

Tony
Thank your neighbor for his service for me. The pen looks good and you have a heart for him I can tell. Good neighbors are a blessing. My dad who is 87 has neighbors who look after him and I love them all. Thanks for looking after him, your a blessing to him.

OZturner

Thanks for the comments. Yes, the neighbor has arthritis which is the reason for the shape. I do not like pens turned that fat either but it's not for me.

Yes there was a L.E.D. light strip that caused the reflection and I didn't notice it until after I had posted the photos.

I do not know why the blank appears to be a bit proud as it was not. After turning pens for almost 30 years I might not be perfect but my fit is right on the money.
Thank you Tony for your response.
My comments on the Nib End of the Blank, was based on your final photograph, with the Pen in the case, with the Nib in the low position, it looks like the vertical edge of the blank is higher than the Nib Ring.
As your Date of joining the IAP was May 2019, I am sorry that I assumed that you were a New Turner, I had no way of knowing that you have been pen turning for almost 30 years, so please disregard my advice on Pen Turning Practice, and that will just leave the Fire Wood for the Fire.
Kind regards,
Brian.

Texas Taco

Thank you Tony for your response.
My comments on the Nib End of the Blank, was based on your final photograph, with the Pen in the case, with the Nib in the low position, it looks like the vertical edge of the blank is higher than the Nib Ring.
As your Date of joining the IAP was May 2019, I am sorry that I assumed that you were a New Turner, I had no way of knowing that you have been pen turning for almost 30 years, so please disregard my advice on Pen Turning Practice, and that will just leave the Fire Wood for the Fire.
Kind regards,
Brian.
I'm still trying to figure out why the photo looked like that.

As far as the fire wood goes, my wife and I stopped at store this afternoon and they still have firewood for sale in small bundles. (Well this time of year in Texas it sells for BBQ wood.) As I slowed down to look at the wood my wife grabbed my arm and pulled me away from the wood saying I wasn't loading her car down with "raw" pen wood. šŸ¤£

Top Bottom