46-460 Type I vs Type II Switch

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Mortalis

I received my order of a Type II On/Off switch.
I need some info from the community of anyone that has a Type II 46-460. I would like to see how the On/Off switch is situated on the lathe. The Type I mounts relatively flush as far as the top of the body of the switch. The Type II has an arm that the switch paddle mounts to but this arm extends below the top surface of the body of the switch. this would appear to me that the On/Off switch on the Type II either sits near the edge of the control box or that there is an indentation in the control box that allows that arm to fit with the top of the switch flush with the control box cover.

I either need to modify the control box to allow the arm to clear the control box cover or I need to trim the arm so that it no longer extends down below the surface lf the control box. I would like to see how this is accomplished on the Type II lathe. I've tried to look at pictures of the Type II lathe but they are very ambiguous and do not specifically detail that portion of the lathe. If someone could post a couple pictures of their Type II lathe On/Off switch mount it would be very helpful.

Thanks,
Kevin

Attachments

• Type I vs Type II 1.jpg
    Type I vs Type II 1.jpg
    233.9 KB · Views: 113
  • Type I vs Type II Side 1.jpg
    Type I vs Type II Side 1.jpg
    261.7 KB · Views: 126

monophoto

Kevin

I don't have a Delta lathe - I looked closely at it when I was shopping for an upgrade, but ruled it out for a number of reasons, one of which was the replacement parts problem.

As I understand it, the difference between Type 1 and Type 2 is age - Type 2 is a newer design, and if I'm not mistaken, has the red handle. In addition to color, there are other significant differences between the two designs - Type 1 appears to have a lock-out feature that involves a key that is inserted into a slot at the top of the switch, while Type 2 has a hole that allows a padlock to be used to lock the switch in the off position. More importantly, Type 1 appears to be a paddle at the end of a lever arm that attaches to an axis on the right side of the switch, while the axis on Type 2 appears to be incorporated into the body of the switch underneath the red handle. That said, I have seen pictures of lathes with a red handle that appears to be attached to an axis on the right side - so it is possible that there was also a Type 1.5

The thing to remember is that ownership of the Delta product line has passed through a number of companies in recent years. I'm aware of at least three sets of owners - the original Delta Manufacturing, Stanley Black and Decker, and more recently a Taiwanese company - and there may have been more. So its possible that there are more iterations in the design.

If you do a search in the archive of this site, you will find several previous threads about replacing the switch on Delta lathes. this one might be the most helpful: https://www.penturners.org/threads/delta-46-460-switch-issues.165836/. Apparently, those switches are one of the more common points of failure for that machine. The overall reputation of Delta lathes has always been pretty good, and when I was looking I was impressed with the 'fit and finish' - but the changes in ownership has really complicated the problem of getting replacement parts.

I recall that one of the earlier threads suggested that the best solution for replacing the switch find a generic switch and fabricate an external mount rather than attempting to replace the switch in situ.

monophoto

Kevin

I don't have a Delta lathe - I looked closely at it when I was shopping for an upgrade, but ruled it out for a number of reasons, one of which was the replacement parts problem.

As I understand it, the difference between Type 1 and Type 2 is age - Type 2 is a newer design, and if I'm not mistaken, has the red handle. In addition to color, there are other significant differences between the two designs - Type 1 appears to have a lock-out feature that involves a key that is inserted into a slot at the top of the switch, while Type 2 has a hole that allows a padlock to be used to lock the switch in the off position. More importantly, Type 1 appears to be a paddle at the end of a lever arm that attaches to an axis on the right side of the switch, while the axis on Type 2 appears to be incorporated into the body of the switch underneath the red handle. That said, I have seen pictures of lathes with a red handle that appears to be attached to an axis on the right side - so it is possible that there was also a Type 1.5

The thing to remember is that ownership of the Delta product line has passed through a number of companies in recent years. I'm aware of at least three sets of owners - the original Delta Manufacturing, Stanley Black and Decker, and more recently a Taiwanese company - and there may have been more. So its possible that there are more interations in the design.

If you do a search in the archive of this site, you will find several previous threads about replacing the switch on Delta lathes. This one might be the most helpful - https://www.penturners.org/threads/delta-46-460-switch-issues.165836/. Apparently, those switches are one of the more common points of failure for that machine. The overall reputation of Delta lathes has always been pretty good, and when I was looking I was impressed with the 'fit and finish' - but the changes in ownership has really complicated the problem of getting replacement parts.

I recall that one of the earlier threads suggested that the best solution for replacing the switch find a generic switch and fabricate an external mount rather than attempting to replace the switch in situ.

Mortalis

I have edited Mono's reply for brevity and significance of my response.

I believe you have it backwards with the lockout feature. My Type I had the hole for a lock and the Type II I purchased had a slot for the key. Not a big deal but just wanted to clarify.

Also, the Type II has an arm that comes off the switch actuator that hangs down to almost the center of the side of the switch body which is where the actuator paddle connects (See attachment) and makes me believe the Type II switch was repositioned on the cover to an edge. I had to cut that arm off.

As I said in the original post, I am not electronically inclined and as such lack the knowledge to be able to understand where and why wires go from a printed circuit board to an external switch so I opted for the direct swap out method.

Please don't take my response as an indicator that I need to have the last word. Your insight is appreciated and I just wanted to let you why I did what I did.

Attachments

• Type II switch actuator paddle.JPG
    Type II switch actuator paddle.JPG
    34.2 KB · Views: 87
Top Bottom