45 degree inlay (Half a Chevron)

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Chief TomaToe

Inspired by Mark James chevrons, I wanted to give them a try myself. However, even with his great tutorials, I still have quite some hurdles to get through first. One, I have virtually no woodworking experience other than a year of pen turning. Two, I am limited to my investments in modest tools at this stage in life. However, I wasn't going to let that stop me, so I wanted to take some first steps to get some of the techniques down. You may find that some of my techniques are crude, but hopefully this may be something somebody inexperienced like myself would like to try.

My thought was instead of trying to get perfectly matched chevrons on my first try, how about getting halfway there? My goal was to make a blank with 45-degree alternating Maple and Walnut inlay separated 90 degrees apart. The blanks below were made from Black walnut crotch for the main body, maple and walnut strips for the inlay, color veneer, and Maple burl for the end caps.

To start, I used 1/16x1x12" strips, 15 each, of Walnut and Maple. I had a good friend at work who has a nice thickness sander to help with this. You can also buy 1/16" stock and cut strips yourself as another option, which was my backup plan. I created a block to cut inlay from by alternating strips of walnut and maple, using Titebond Quick and Thick since it dries clear. I also tried my best to stagger the strips at a 45-degree angle to reduce waste. I took my finished block to the bandsaw and sander to touch it up, and I was ready to cut some inlay!

My block was large enough that after cutting a strip of inlay, the strip was long enough to cut in half and be used for a single body pen. I went ahead and glued by color veneer on both sides of the inlay strip before cutting. The thickness of the inlay doesn't matter here since we aren't trying to do a chevron match, but I wouldn't make it thicker than 1/8".

Once I had my two pieces of inlay, I took the black walnut crotch blank and cut a piece the same length as the pieces of inlay. I took the walnut piece and cut it in half, sandwiching in the inlay between the halves. Once dry, I rotated the blank 90 degrees and did the same again. The key here is that you have nicely aligned crosses on either side of the blank so your inlay slices run nice and parallel. I sanded the ends flush, and then turned the blank round between centers.

Once the blank was round, I used my collet chuck system to drill on the lathe for my tube. After that, I did the glue up with 15-min epoxy also adding the veneer and end caps. Once cured, I turned and finished as normal.

There's a lot of details I'm leaving out, so feel free to ask more questions. I may or may not have shared anything of use to you, but I figured I would at least share to contribute in some way!

attachment.php

attachment.php

attachment.php

attachment.php

attachment.php

attachment.php

Attachments

• Webp.net-resizeimage (6).jpg
    Webp.net-resizeimage (6).jpg
    60.2 KB · Views: 615
  • Webp.net-resizeimage (7).jpg
    Webp.net-resizeimage (7).jpg
    292.7 KB · Views: 610
  • Webp.net-resizeimage (8).jpg
    Webp.net-resizeimage (8).jpg
    362.6 KB · Views: 583
  • Webp.net-resizeimage (9).jpg
    Webp.net-resizeimage (9).jpg
    290 KB · Views: 606
  • Webp.net-resizeimage (10).jpg
    Webp.net-resizeimage (10).jpg
    314 KB · Views: 610
  • Webp.net-resizeimage (11).jpg
    Webp.net-resizeimage (11).jpg
    373.1 KB · Views: 617
Last edited:
Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

EBorraga

Passed Away July 17, 2022
In Memoriam
Brother, thats Bad Ace!! I hope you bring that to the meetup next month!! I've had personal training from Mark on those. And yours looks perfect!

mark james

IAP Collection, Curator
Very cool Ronnie. I really like the 1/2 Chevrons. Nothing missing with a different design for the segmented inlay. You got nice thin strips, so a full chevron is easily done if desired.

I really like seeing different designs coming forth - makes for a much more diverse breadth of segmenting.

Well done.

(I'm at the Chicago MPG - I could have used your help with the segmenting demo tomorrow :cool:).

Chief TomaToe

Thanks all for the encouraging comments! It was definitely touch-and-go at times, and there were some hiccups, but even with some flaws I'm pleased with the outcome.

Ernie, I will be sure to bring some pens like this in June! I'm really looking forward to it.

Mark, I am shooting for the MPG next year as I couldn't get to it this year. It looks like it's shaping up to be a great event.

Top Bottom