4 different pens

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from calebsg

Status
Not open for further replies.

calebsg

Hi Folks,

Just joined the forum here. Here's four pens I made for this past Christmas. I only made 3 pens before I did these.

Image Insert:
200445174315_IM000696b.jpg

41.78KB

The white wood in each pen is maple. Top to bottom: bloodwood, redwood, chechen, rosewood.

Thanks for looking,
Caleb

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Daniel

Caleb,
Might I recomend you don't hold back on your skill at inlay that I think I see in your work. I could be wrong, but I just hate to see new penturners restrict their talents out of shyness or anything like that. let it blossom really stretch out their and challenge yourself :)
seriously. these are some outstanding examples of advanced work. I really like the bottom two. wonderful balance and design in the use of the bands. Keep the photos coming they are great.

Evan

calebsg,

Welcome - all I can say is... I can't wait to see more of your work!

Evan

pen-turners

Nice work Caleb. Anyone who has done laminating knows how hard it is to get truly straight lines after turning. I have a bunch of scrap pens laying around to prove it. Your pens look great!!!!

Chris
www.pen-turners.com

calebsg

Thanks for all the compliments. The second pen from the top I was hoping to bead the maple to give it some texture, but they weren't perfectly perpendicular to the axis of rotation. Not so bad as you'd notice it to hold it, but bad enough to prohibit making beads.

I found that doing them on my Chop Saw with a good Freud blade is the trick. Usually takes a minimal amount of sanding.

I use a stop block to get uniform thicknesses, and have found that if I pull the blade back up it usually snaps the thinner pieces. So, I power up to full speed, cut down, let the blade wind down and stop, then carefully raise it, extract my piece and repeat.

Caleb

calebsg

Chris, I get a 403 error from your website??? I was hoping to see some of your turnings thanks.
Caleb
Originally posted by pen-turners
<br />Nice work Caleb. Anyone who has done laminating knows how hard it is to get truly straight lines after turning. I have a bunch of scrap pens laying around to prove it. Your pens look great!!!!

Chris
www.pen-turners.com

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom