360 Herringbone

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

jttheclockman

I have researched this for many years and thought I would find out the answers but to no avail. Yesterday I was getting to think as I saw this thread https://www.penturners.org/threads/the-h-bone-collective.176987/ how this design was coveted and well guarded secret for many years here. Then there was a daring soul who decided to share the process with all and it since has been put in the library and the design has been copied by many. he took much heat for doing it. You all could look up in search and find these threads and know I am not making this stuff up. The OP in the thread I linked has done a great job and an exacting job with a time consuming and tedious process. Don Ward has demonstrated the process and tried making as simple as can be explained but it still stumps and it really takes many attempts to master this. I have not so want to go to record. I will dedicate more time to this in the future without a doubt.

But what got me to thinking more about this design, we over the years have lost members here who have passed on in death and have left some amazing work behind. But what is sad if it were not for a daring person who shared his making of this design it may too have been lost. Sure someone may have reversed engineered it or something but who knows. What I am leading to is another method that was used to make these herringbone pattern that has been lost. I tried contacting some older members who dabbled with it way back when this idea first surfaced. So if there is any members who remember what I am talking about and have knowledge of how it was done could be that daring soul and share with us all. It involved making triangles as opposed to squares to make the blank and it took on a longer different look when done. The resources are dwindling here for this to happen. Hate to see what happened to some of Eagles designs go unsolved. He was an innovator and ahead of his time when it came to segmenting. Not the easiest person to deal with here but man can he design hand made pens. I have one of his designs locked in my computer that I want so badly to try and hopefully before I pass I can honor him in my way with a copy of it.

So how about it any triangle herringbone makers out there??

wood128

I have constructed several hundred 360 herringbone design blanks . No knowledge of the triangles !! When I first started making them, it was very difficult to get a good finished product. So I developed my own assembly technique. It also took me awhile to figure out how to place the veneer between the pieces ( I use 3/4 " squares ). Thickness has to be the same for each layer ( 6 pieces ) , but can change per layer. All my segmented 360 herringbone blanks are sold by exoticblanks.com. Attached is one example picture of a few.
P6210015.JPG

its_virgil

I have researched this for many years and thought I would find out the answers but to no avail. Yesterday I was getting to think as I saw this thread https://www.penturners.org/threads/the-h-bone-collective.176987/ how this design was coveted and well guarded secret for many years here. Then there was a daring soul who decided to share the process with all and it since has been put in the library and the design has been copied by many. he took much heat for doing it. You all could look up in search and find these threads and know I am not making this stuff up. The OP in the thread I linked has done a great job and an exacting job with a time consuming and tedious process. Don Ward has demonstrated the process and tried making as simple as can be explained but it still stumps and it really takes many attempts to master this. I have not so want to go to record. I will dedicate more time to this in the future without a doubt.

So if there is any members who remember what I am talking about and have knowledge of how it was done could be that daring soul and share with us all. It involved making triangles as opposed to squares to make the blank and it took on a longer different look when done.

So how about it any triangle herringbone makers out there??
When I was searching for resources for my 360 herringbone adventure I found some information on making them with the triangle "tiles" instead of square ones. I will look and see if I can find the information. Best I recall it was from a guy in Europe and the text was not in English.

There are 4 or 5 herringbone articles in the library. Two on the 360 degree, one on the 180 degree, one on the 30 degree and one on the 45 degree.
Don

jttheclockman

When I was searching for resources for my 360 herringbone adventure I found some information on making them with the triangle "tiles" instead of square ones. I will look and see if I can find the information. Best I recall it was from a guy in Europe and the text was not in English.

There are 4 or 5 herringbone articles in the library. Two on the 360 degree, one on the 180 degree, one on the 30 degree and one on the 45 degree.
Don
Thanks Don. There were a few members here that did the triangle version and one that I wanted to copy his version for some time now but it is in my bookmarked catagory here. You were around at that time when that design was all the rage and you also read the outrage when it was revealed. You would have thought that someone leaked the nuclear codes or something. :)

Top Bottom