360 Chevron Progress

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

mark james

IAP Collection, Curator
For those who are interested, here is a bit more "process evolution." I'm posting more of the trial and error stuff for folks who want to try segmenting, but need to realize that there will be many failures - each iteration gets a bit closer though. Just keep at it.

I don't like the actual spiral pattern yet, so I'll have to ponder that - Anyone else - Feel free to play with this!

Constructing the polygon was much easier the second time around, and it did allow the spiral pattern.

Getting the spiral I just needed to make extra long inlays, then cut to size after matching the points. (Just took me a few months to realize that).

(Oh, the colors were not random. The official colors of our favorite dumpster diver! I have the colors, so why not.)

Comments, brutal critique and discussion is encouraged.

Attachments

• IMG_0072.jpg
    IMG_0072.jpg
    205.8 KB · Views: 229
  • IMG_0073.jpg
    IMG_0073.jpg
    226.4 KB · Views: 224
  • IMG_0075.jpg
    IMG_0075.jpg
    262.6 KB · Views: 228
  • IMG_0070.jpg
    IMG_0070.jpg
    200.8 KB · Views: 298
  • IMG_0875.jpg
    IMG_0875.jpg
    205.4 KB · Views: 243
  • IMG_0877.jpg
    IMG_0877.jpg
    186.6 KB · Views: 221
  • IMG_0878.jpg
    IMG_0878.jpg
    190.3 KB · Views: 222
  • IMG_0884.jpg
    IMG_0884.jpg
    160.6 KB · Views: 231
  • IMG_0883.jpg
    IMG_0883.jpg
    151.3 KB · Views: 221
  • IMG_0882.jpg
    IMG_0882.jpg
    128.1 KB · Views: 230
  • IMG_0885.jpg
    IMG_0885.jpg
    166 KB · Views: 249
  • IMG_0886.jpg
    IMG_0886.jpg
    122.3 KB · Views: 267
  • IMG_0890.jpg
    IMG_0890.jpg
    236.1 KB · Views: 256
  • IMG_0887.jpg
    IMG_0887.jpg
    95.9 KB · Views: 258
Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

skiprat

Passed Away Mar 22, 2022
In Memoriam
Mmmmm.....Green, Red and White..... = Welsh Flag :wink:

Dumpster Diver......... I have no Idea who you mean....( favourite or otherwise ):biggrin:

Looks pretty good so far though....I have absolute confidence that you will achieve your goal. :wink:

Curly

Interesting. I'm wondering if two different halves, one side at a sharper angle and when put together would look like "tick marks" letting the chevrons spiral down/up without interruption. I know it would mean a bucketload of extra work but wonder if that is what you might be after.

Added a very rough sketch. :eek:

Attachments

• IMG_3812.jpg
    IMG_3812.jpg
    76.6 KB · Views: 199
Last edited:

mark james

IAP Collection, Curator
Interesting. I'm wondering if two different halves, one side at a sharper angle and when put together would look like "tick marks" letting the chevrons spiral down/up without interruption. I know it would mean a bucketload of extra work but wonder if that is what you might be after.

Added a very rough sketch. :eek:

Hi Curly,

Even if I/others could construct the pattern on the OD before turning, I'm not sure if it would retain the symetry after turning down to bushing/component OD. But... maybe. :wink:

Curly

Didn't think about that. That would add to the difficulty over and above the different angles and veneer thicknesses. As Gilda would say "Never mind."

mark james

IAP Collection, Curator
This may look better? Just need to start with a different design for the initial brick, and some careful measurements.

I also don't like the wide angle on the OP blank 30 degrees I think. So I'd go back to 45 degrees. This should yield thinner Chevrons. And maybe an 8 sided polygon.

Attachments

• IMG_0893.jpg
    IMG_0893.jpg
    135 KB · Views: 240

SteveJ

Mark

I like this last rendition better, but I think you could narrow the gap between the chevrons to equal the chevrons themselves and produce sort of a checkerboard/chevron look. Something like this:

attachment.php

That might not be the look you are hoping for but it seems like it would spiral around when the staves are cut.

Attachments

• Chevron idea.jpg
    Chevron idea.jpg
    676.6 KB · Views: 420

mark james

IAP Collection, Curator
Mark

I like this last rendition better, but I think you could narrow the gap between the chevrons to equal the chevrons themselves and produce sort of a checkerboard/chevron look. Something like this:

attachment.php

That might not be the look you are hoping for but it seems like it would spiral around when the staves are cut.

Why choose Steve? Let's try both! My plate is full for a few days, but we got some nice concepts to follow up on. Pete's (Curly) idea is also one we can work with.

Be well, Mark

Pierre---

Hi Mark,

I started reading your threads a long time ago: congratulations for your resolute search in segmenting! Playing a long time in the same specialty, week after week, is a good way to go far I guess.

As you write you are not pleased with the spiraling, let my say (unbrutally for sure) that I could almost sort of agree because each pair of chevrons do not flow fluently to the fluent neighbor, if you see what I mean. May I propose something, after others? That's 1 to 2, could be 1 to 3 for a steeper spiral. Just my 2 cts. I think it could stay in line after turning, what is you pinion?

My best wishes for a happy research! (d'you need that?)

Attachments

• 002.jpg
    002.jpg
    52.4 KB · Views: 196

mark james

IAP Collection, Curator
G'Day Pierre:

Hi Mark,

I started reading your threads a long time ago: congratulations for your resolute search in segmenting! Playing a long time in the same specialty, week after week, is a good way to go far I guess. Yes, plowing the same fields will eventually yield a nice crop - if you learn what the fields need.

As you write you are not pleased with the spiraling, let my say (unbrutally for sure) that I could almost sort of agree because each pair of chevrons do not flow fluently to the fluent neighbor, if you see what I mean (yes, not bad, but we/I can aspire to much better). May I propose something, after others? That's 1 to 2, could be 1 to 3 for a steeper spiral. Just my 2 cts. I think it could stay in line after turning, what is you pinion? I believe that will work Pierre! I understand what you proposed, and I suspect the pattern is a nice variation. May need to jiggle it a bit here and there, but the alternating sections are very workable.

Thanks for the input. And your thoughts are very "unbrutal!, and appreciated in good spirit! My hopes is that this series of threads I have started will lead to "Collaborative Design Ideas" - for use for whatever anyone wishes.

(Nope, not needed, but politeness/civility in this day and age are appreciated - on IAP as well as life in general). Be well.

mark james

IAP Collection, Curator
Hi Mark,

I started reading your threads a long time ago: congratulations for your resolute search in segmenting! Playing a long time in the same specialty, week after week, is a good way to go far I guess.

As you write you are not pleased with the spiraling, let my say (unbrutally for sure) that I could almost sort of agree because each pair of chevrons do not flow fluently to the fluent neighbor, if you see what I mean. May I propose something, after others? That's 1 to 2, could be 1 to 3 for a steeper spiral. Just my 2 cts. I think it could stay in line after turning, what is you pinion?

YES. Simply doubling every other section looks cool!

EBorraga

Passed Away July 17, 2022
In Memoriam
Mark I feel your pain!!! I've been working on this crazy design for a brush. I have about 8 blanks that didn't make the cut. I'm hoping to resolve my problem by November!! If not, i'll have you help me figure it out :) After all, i'm just a parts guy that likes to experiment!!

Top Bottom