.30 Cal Bolt Actions

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
So I had a co-worker as me to make her a couple of bolt action pens in red heart as a gift for a friend. Well, that is easy enough so away I went to making pens buuuuut why stop at making 2? Ended up making 4 total, 3 pens and a pencil. 2 pens in red heart and one pen/pencil in lignum vitae.

Brought them all to work for co-worker to see intending to let her buy the red heart. She ended up taking all 4 so yay for a few more pennies to blow on more kits and my habit.

A few more pens are in the works as a local business may be interested in carrying them to sell. Might have to start an official business here shortly....

Attachments

• .30_Cal_Bolt_Lignum_Vitae-Nov2022.jpg
    .30_Cal_Bolt_Lignum_Vitae-Nov2022.jpg
    253.3 KB · Views: 78
  • .30_Cal_Bolt_Red_Heart-Nov2022.jpg
    .30_Cal_Bolt_Red_Heart-Nov2022.jpg
    261.5 KB · Views: 91
Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

KenB259

I recently made some of those for the first time. When I seen them in the catalogs I didn't think I'd like the rifle clip, but I was pleasantly surprised that they actually looked pretty nice. I like the kit and I like the pens you made.

Woodchipper

My grandson made pens for his parents. Dad's was a wrench pen and grandson picked lignum vita. Like drilling tool steel. Was told it was used for submarine bearings! Turned out to be a nice pen. Just noticed it's my avatar.

My grandson made pens for his parents. Dad's was a wrench pen and grandson picked lignum vita. Like drilling tool steel. Was told it was used for submarine bearings! Turned out to be a nice pen. Just noticed it's my avatar.

Yes, it is a very dense wood. Solid is an understandment and drill required some force but it turned quite well at the same time.

I recently made some of those for the first time. When I seen them in the catalogs I didn't think I'd like the rifle clip, but I was pleasantly surprised that they actually looked pretty nice. I like the kit and I like the pens you made.

The trick with these is the lever. They ALL come with the rifle lever facing down rather than up as it would on an actual rifle. Gotta loosen the screw inside the bottom piece to turn the lever up and retighten. If you forget to move the lever and assemble the pen you gotta have a long screwdriver that is skinny enough to get in there with the right tip. Found a cheap set at the Dollar Tree that helped me resolve those issues in the past.

mmayo

The 30 cal bolt is, to me, a perfect newbie pen. A single tube and fairly a lot of wood outside the brass tube. They press easily together.

Hint: I use a single drop of colorless light oil in the bolt mechanism. I run it back and forth a couple of times and they work very well indeed after that. Upgrade the cartridge to Schmidt EasyFlow 9000 and that will be a great pen.

Top Bottom