3 Sided Chevron Finial and Upper Blank

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from mark james

mark james

IAP Collection, Curator
I constructed these 3 finials for a different project and they have been staring at me for several months. Both the finial and upper blank have 3 inlays. My previous chevron finials were 4 sided - each with a 90 degree points. These needed 120 degree points.

IMG_1496.jpg
IMG_1508.jpg

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

mark james

IAP Collection, Curator
Some of the process.

Attachments

• IMG_1495.jpg
    IMG_1495.jpg
    226 KB · Views: 243
  • IMG_1473.JPG
    IMG_1473.JPG
    188.1 KB · Views: 244
  • IMG_1475.jpg
    IMG_1475.jpg
    175.9 KB · Views: 239
  • IMG_1474.jpg
    IMG_1474.jpg
    168.4 KB · Views: 241
  • IMG_1487.jpg
    IMG_1487.jpg
    220.6 KB · Views: 237
  • IMG_1488.jpg
    IMG_1488.jpg
    278.3 KB · Views: 246
  • IMG_1492.jpg
    IMG_1492.jpg
    253.1 KB · Views: 249
  • IMG_1493.jpg
    IMG_1493.jpg
    413 KB · Views: 237
  • IMG_1494.jpg
    IMG_1494.jpg
    146.4 KB · Views: 237
  • IMG_1505.jpg
    IMG_1505.jpg
    66.4 KB · Views: 201
  • IMG_1504.jpg
    IMG_1504.jpg
    90.3 KB · Views: 242
  • IMG_1506.jpg
    IMG_1506.jpg
    147.9 KB · Views: 222
  • IMG_1507.jpg
    IMG_1507.jpg
    189.4 KB · Views: 237

Dieseldoc

WOW, Great work from the Master again!!!!!!!

Mark as you know I like the three Spiral effect, when I made my pin blanks the using 120 degree point seem to balance out the blank much nicer. In this case what you have produced is very effective in balance.

cheers

charlie

Alan Morrison

Kodos to you Mark. Love the pen and really admire your workmanship.
Any chance of a photograph showing the jig you use to cut those parts of the chevrons so accurately?
Tanks for all the photographs above ( I just want more )
Alan

mark james

IAP Collection, Curator
G'Day Alan.

These IAP Library Articles have most of the important processes:

But the simple answer is:
1. Construct a "Brick." A Layered block from which you cut your slices.
2. I cut the slices on a Byrnes Model Makers Table saw.
3. I typically cut the slices on a 45 degree angle.

Attachments

• IMG_3517.JPG
    IMG_3517.JPG
    298.4 KB · Views: 188
  • IMG_3518.JPG
    IMG_3518.JPG
    266.5 KB · Views: 198

Alan Morrison

G'Day Alan.
These IAP Library Articles have most of the important processes:

Thanks for getting back to me Mark.
I have all your Library posts downloaded to my laptop, but those last couple of photographs were just what I was looking for.
That's a very thin blade you are using on your Byrnes table saw.
Thanks for the photos, Mark. ( has the postman come yet? )
Alan

mark james

IAP Collection, Curator
Thanks for getting back to me Mark.
I have all your Library posts downloaded to my laptop, but those last couple of photographs were just what I was looking for.
That's a very thin blade you are using on your Byrnes table saw.
Thanks for the photos, Mark. ( has the postman come yet? )
Alan

Not yet Alan. I'm camping in an Igloo next to the mailbox!

mark james

IAP Collection, Curator
Glad you could see well enough to put this together! I still haven't tried that finial. I love both of them! Great work, as usual.

Hi Steve. The finials were constructed earlier this year for a different project. Switching to the 120 degree angle was pretty easy, but I just didn't get back to combining them with an appropriate blank. The 3 slotted blank was cut also earlier this year, but I neglected to save a similar walnut lower blank - that took some digging into my stash to locate a good match. I actually turned three close matches in color/grain and chose what seemed the best.

Turning the finial was a chore. My tool skills were rusty and I'm adjusting to the floaters. The vision in the left eye is poor in the AM, but seems to get less blurry later in the day, so I just did the turning in the evenings; this will work fine I believe. I was pleased with the finished pen, and will be moving on to a new design this winter. I'm glad that I'm not a "high volume" turner and can just tinker when the mood strikes.

By all means try the finial, I think it would compliment some of your designs. As usual, there is a learning curve, but its all in good fun.

mark james

IAP Collection, Curator
Very beautiful pens. When you n make your "bricks" , do cut the slices with the grain or across the grain.?
Sent from my iPhone using Penturners.org mobile app

I want the SIDE grain on the sides facing out. So, for the Chevron Inlays, all the wood facing OUT will be side grain. When I cut the layers for the Brick, I want the end grain at the ends, and the side grain on the sides. This sounds complicated, but when you get a few layers, it is easy to see where you want the grain to go. I have screwed up some bricks, alternating side grain and end grain. Ultimately I (as an OCD segmenter) I did not like the visual... Side grain on the outsides!

mark james

IAP Collection, Curator
Mark, you are so far beyond my capabilities it is unfathomable! I can only dream of doing a pen like you show! Tip o' the hat my friend!

Don, just dive in and play around. You are just a few months behind me. Truly, the hardest part is simply starting and playing around with what we know, what we need to learn, and what we can do and need to tweak for the next design. I have no more skills than you - I may just be a few projects ahead.

Reactions: DrD

EBorraga

Passed Away July 17, 2022
In Memoriam
Fabulous Mark!!! It appears that the segments are .0001 out of alignment :) LOL. You and your OCD segmenting! I really need to drive up for a long weekend and see you and Nancy!

DrD

Don, just dive in and play around. You are just a few months behind me. Truly, the hardest part is simply starting and playing around with what we know, what we need to learn, and what we can do and need to tweak for the next design. I have no more skills than you - I may just be a few projects ahead.
I am reminded of a quote from the renowned San Francisco police officer, Inspector Harry Callahan: "... a wise man knows his limitations." Now I have yet to find my limitations with a handgun - or any other type of gun for that matter, but with making and assembling tinie-tiny parts - Forgetaboutit!

Top Bottom