2021 Pretty Wood Pen Voting contest.

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Which are your top 3 choices. Poll will close Midnigth of Feb. 27th.

• Pen 1

Votes: 9 7.9%
  • Pen 2

Votes: 2 1.8%
  • Pen 3

• Pen 4

Votes: 18 15.8%
  • Pen 5

Votes: 14 12.3%
  • Pen 6

Votes: 10 8.8%
  • Pen 7

Votes: 3 2.6%
  • Pen 8

Votes: 48 42.1%
  • pen 9

Votes: 7 6.1%
  • Pen 10

• Pen 11

Votes: 55 48.2%
  • Pen 12

Votes: 8 7.0%
  • Pen 13

• Pen 14

• Pen 15

Votes: 5 4.4%
  • Pen 16

• Pen 17

• Pen 18

• Pen 19

Votes: 2 1.8%
  • Pen 20

Votes: 1 0.9%
  • Pen 21

Votes: 20 17.5%
  • pen 22

Votes: 6 5.3%
  • pen 23

Votes: 37 32.5%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

mredburn

IAP Activities Manager
Staff member
We have 23 entries this year into the Pretty Wood pen contest. Pick your top 3 pens.
Good luck to all that entered and all that must choose.

I have corrected the pictures and put 4 that were lost into the contest, please recast your votes if you voted in the first effort.

Pen 1

Pen 1a.jpg

PEn 1b.jpg

Pen 2
Title of Your Entry: Spalted Paperbark
Description: Self harvested paperbark with spalting surprise
Finished with Rustins Plastic Coating, fine sanded and wax polished
pen 2a.jpg

pen 2b.jpg

pen 2c.jpg

pen 3
Title of Your Entry: Bocote Can Always Surprise
Description: One of many bocote blanks that I purchased - most from Woodcraft. The results have ranged from light to dark with a variety of figure/grain/look. Sanded to 600; 9 layers of CA thin; dry sanded to 1500 with Dr. Kirk's Red/White/Blue applied along with Maguire's PlastiX. Only regret - my photographic ability does not do this pen justice.
pen 3a.jpeg

pen 3b.jpeg

Pen 4
Title of Your Entry: Elegant Snakewood Rollerball
Description: Majestic Junior rollerball with Snakewood and CA finish.
Pen 4a.jpeg

pen 4b.jpeg

pen 4c.jpeg

Pen 5
Title of Your Entry: Gun Metal Budget Snap Cap Rollerball
Description: This pen was made using a Black Locust blank. The blank was highly figured and very translucent in natural light. Finished with 18 coats of high friction polish.
pen 5a.jpeg

pen 5b.jpeg

pen 5c.jpeg

Pen 6
Title of Your Entry:
Description:
Buckeye Burl with CA finish
pen 6a.JPG

pen 6b.JPG

pen 6c.JPG

Pen 7
Title of Your Entry:
Description:
Wood is myrtlewood, with many different tones all in one small piece. Kit is a PSI Tec-7. Finish is CA, thin and medium flex from Mercury Adhesives.
pen 7a.jpeg

pen 7b.jpeg

pen 8
Description: A beautiful piece of amboyna burl, non-stabilized, on a rhodium Baron fountain pen. CA finish, Zona papers and Novus 2

pen 8a.jpeg

pen 8b.png

pen 9
Title of Your Entry: Pretty in Pink
Description: This is a Panache kit in black chrome. The wood is a nicely figured Pink Ivory. I think it was harder to get a good picture than it was to actually make the pen, and pretty much impossible to truly show the chatoyance. Finished with CA, polished through all 9 MM grits, then finished with plastic polish.
pen 9a.jpg

pen 9b.jpg

pen 10

Title of Your Entry: Desert Ironwood
Description: Knurl GT pen kit, Desert Ironwood finished with Tripoli, White Diamond and Carnauba Wax
pen 10a.jpg

pen 10b.jpg

pen 10c.jpg

Pen 11
Title of Your Entry: Two tone Amboyna Burl
Description: This is a piece I cut to show both sap and heartwood and then stabilized. CA finish to bring out a nice shine. Medium 6mm nib.
pen 11a.jpeg

pen 11b.jpeg

pen 11c.jpeg

Pen 12
Title of Your Entry: Purpleheart cross-grain on a black Slimline
Description: I used a purpleheart cross-grain with a Black slimline. The lines are the grain in the blank. Looks better in person.
pen 12a.jpg

pen 12b.jpg

Pen 13
Title of Your Entry: Redwood Burl
Description: Stabilized redwood burl in a Blade Click. Gluboost finish.
pen 13a.jpeg

pen 13b.jpeg

Pen 14

Title of Your Entry: Cocobolo on a Gold Designer
Description: This beautifully figured Cocobolo from Puerto Rico is featured on a 24kt Gold Designer kit from PSI. It was finished using the Stick Fast CA Wood Finish system.
pen 14a.jpg

pen 14b.jpg

Pen 15
Title of Your Entry: Mango Cigar
Description: Spalted Mango from Philippines on an Ultra Cigar Gold and Chrome
pen 15a.jpeg

pen 15b.jpeg

pen 15c.jpeg

Pen 16
Title of Your Entry: The Patriot Pen
Description: For this pen, I decided to use one of the most attractive wood species in my opinion, Exhibition Amboyna Burl. I find this particular piece has the most character and figuring. I used the Antique Pewter hardware to give the wood the most contrast and to help it really pop out. I used my signature 18-step finishing process with CA to achieve a super high grade, durable finish which gleams with brilliance.
pen 16a.jpg

pen 16b.jpg

Pen 17
Title of Your Entry: Ohio maple
Description: Local Ohio maple 🍁 Mercury ca finish on trim line kit
pen 17a.jpeg

pen 17b.jpeg

Pen 18
Title of Your Entry: Triton Fountain Pen in Red Mallee Burl
Description: This is a Triton Fountain Pen dressed in Australian Red Mallee Burl. Turned between centers, sanded with 600 grit and finished with Glu Boost CA. After Ca application it was wet sanded to 1500 with Micro mesh and then Beal Buffed.
pen 18a.jpg

pen 18b.jpg

pen 18c.jpg

Pen 19
Description: Unknown wood on a Majestic Jr.
pen 19a.jpeg

pen 19b.jpeg

Pen 20
Title of Your Entry: Amboyna Burl Fountain Pen
Description: Here is my Amboyna Burl Fountain Pen. The first time I've ever turned Amboyna and I am very happy with it.
pen 20a.JPG

pen 20b.JPG

Pen 21
Title of Your Entry: Beefwood Hourglass Rollerball
Description: Old Kimberley Beefwood, 8 coats of medium CA.
pen 21a.jpg

pen 21b.jpg

Pen 22

Title of Your Entry: Really Dark Amboyna Burl
Description: A really Nice 2 Tone Amboyna Burl with stunning Characteristics
pen 22a.jpeg

pen 22b.jpeg
pen 22c.jpeg

Pen 23

Title of Your Entry: Brazilian landscape
Description: I have saved this piece of Brazilian rosewood for a few years, in part making sure it would be fully dry. The "landscape" black streaks create the unique looking pattern that wraps around the pen. The kit is a rhodium Blingless Harvest rollerball.
pen 23a.jpg

pen 23b.jpg

pen 23c.jpg

Attachments

• pen 8c.jpeg
    pen 8c.jpeg
    463.9 KB · Views: 141
Last edited:

henry1164

The size of Pen #10 is perfect for those of us with "old eyes". Some of the other entries look pretty dramatic with the small photo probably not doing justice. Can the others be shown relative to pic 10 size?

TonyL

I voted (all beautiful), but I agree with others, the thumbnails pics were more difficult to discern (even on a 32 in display). Thank you for hosting and submitting.

Joebobber

Not to be "that guy" but I thought you could only enter a pen in 1 contest. Pen #10 is also Pen #10 in the slimline contest. I also wish you could size the pictures the same size as the slimline contest. But my cell lets me zoom in so I'm good either way.

Pete275

I know others have made comment about old eyes, I have those but I think this is more about being able to see the details of the wood in the pictures. Is there not a way to allow us to zoom in??

henry1164

I know others have made comment about old eyes, I have those but I think this is more about being able to see the details of the wood in the pictures. Is there not a way to allow us to zoom in??
Not sure how it's done on a PC but I can zoom each photo on my MAC. However, the pixel size of the photos (except for #10) is relatively low and zooms to a fuzzy picture. While it does show better it is still hard to tell detail.

Joebobber

Not sure how it's done on a PC but I can zoom each photo on my MAC. However, the pixel size of the photos (except for #10) is relatively low and zooms to a fuzzy picture. While it does show better it is still hard to tell detail.
The 1st 10 pens you can click on to zoom in, but it only works on pens 1-10 unfortunately...

cmiller

Another vote for larger pictures. You can't zoom in or they get blurry. Really can't vote without seeing the details.

mredburn

IAP Activities Manager
Staff member
Hold off voting at the moment. I need to reset the poll and see if I can redo the pictures. They show up ok on my computer but evidently not on anyone elses.

darrin1200

The 1st 10 pens you can click on to zoom in, but it only works on pens 1-10 unfortunately...Not to be "that guy" but I thought you could only enter a pen in 1 contest. Pen #10 is also Pen #10 in the slimline contest. I also wish you could size the pictures the same size as the slimline contest. But my cell lets me zoom in so I'm good either way.
If you look really close at the two pictures, they appear to be different. Same kit, same type of wood, but two different pens.

Fred Bruche

Not to be "that guy" but I thought you could only enter a pen in 1 contest. Pen #10 is also Pen #10 in the slimline contest. I also wish you could size the pictures the same size as the slimline contest. But my cell lets me zoom in so I'm good either way.

Same kit, same wood species, possibly blanks from the same board, final pens are lookalike... but I see different pens.

Joebobber

Same kit, same wood species, possibly blanks from the same board, final pens are lookalike... but I see different pens.
My apologies. I definitely see it now. I didn't notice the clip positions in the pictures! I remembered it from voting on it in the slimlines because I thought it was so nice.

mredburn

IAP Activities Manager
Staff member
No appologies needed. You were correct in bringing it to our attention in case it was the same pen and now we can explain it to anyone else that might question them. Thank you.

Madman1978

Okay, all you old guys! Use the Ctrl & + keys to enlarge your browser size.
If that doesn't help, time to replace that old monitor! lol
I am using a 27:" wide-screen no issues with the photos

mredburn

IAP Activities Manager
Staff member
I have received instructions on what to do to correct it. I will have to wipe the pictures and redo them, as well as wipe the poll. I will do that later tonight.

mredburn

IAP Activities Manager
Staff member
Hey Fred! Now can you see them?
If you have voted in this poll you will need to vote again!

mredburn

IAP Activities Manager
Staff member
I have changed the setting that would not let you change your vote. If you have voted before you can now change it. I thought by reseting the poll it would have wiped the votes and allowed you to recast them. Fooled me.

Fred Bruche

I have changed the setting that would not let you change your vote. If you have voted before you can now change it. I thought by reseting the poll it would have wiped the votes and allowed you to recast them. Fooled me.

I see the "change your vote" box at the bottom right of the poll list, that should fix it :)
Thanks Mike!

Joebobber

Dang... I can't believe I only got 9 votes on my Oak burl pen (pen #1). It is so crazy looking I thought for sure I might've had a shot this year, that is until I saw everyone else's pen.

Last edited:

Madman1978

Dang... I can't believe I only got 9 votes on my Oak burl pen (pen #1). It is so crazy looking I thought for sure I might've had a shot this year, that is until I saw everyone else's pen.
I got 8. The photo didnt come out well. The Purpleheart came out really dark.

greenacres2

I'm stoked I came in 4th with a wierd as kit! Hourglass is such an odd kit.
Simple as that kit style is (including Panache, Dinero, other variants)--the turning and finishing have to be spot-on or it really shows in the finished product. Absolutely no diversions for the eyes to hide an ripples, and the lines have to really flow. I love that kit for the way it shows the wood, and for the challenges it gives me (with a limited skill set!!) Great job on yours Casey!!
earl

Top Bottom