• Pen #5

Votes: 42 36.8%
  • Pen #6

Votes: 44 38.6%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

darrin1200

It's Voting Time

Voting will be open until Noon EST on 27 February. That way I can get the announcement up Saturday evening.

Choose your favorite 3 pens.

Last edited:
Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

darrin1200

Pen #1
Base Kit Used: El Toro
Parts Removed: Cap finial, body finial, clip
Description: Started with one of the shortest fountain pen kit available, El Toro, and turned it into an "unpocketable" desk pen that can use standard ink converters.
The wood for the pen body and the base is African bog birch, the other pieces are made from snakewood. Glues involved in this project were epoxy and CA.
It might not be "purse size" anymore but the pen balances nicely in hand (in mine at least).

AdvKit01 (1).jpgAdvKit01 (2).jpgAdvKit01 (3).jpg

darrin1200

Pen #2
Base Kit Used: Vertex Fountain Pen (Brushed Satin)
Parts Removed: End cap, clip.
Description: I was taught the art of pen turning 5 years ago by my mentor Bill Bettag. He showed me one of his realistic cigar pens and directed me to his instructions on IAP. After his passing in 2018, I am happy to premiere my version of the realistic cigar pen in tribute to his legacy. I used Thuya for the body, and Buckeye for the ash. I drilled the blank to fit the pen hardware. I used a Dremel and a wood burner to achieve the realistic ash look. I used an authentic cigar label adhered to the pen.

AdvKit02 (1).jpgAdvKit02 (2).jpgAdvKit02 (3).jpg

darrin1200

Pen #3
Base Kit Used: RAW C3604 Brass Fountain Pen Kit
Parts Removed: threaded end cap and o-rings
Description: This is a 50 BMG fountain pen. It uses a hollowed out 50 cal bullet and once fired casing, The bullet and casing were polished and powder coated. Mesquite wood was used for the barrel on one end of the tube and the other end was glued into the bullet. The cap was cut short and glued into the casing. The tip coupler is used to hold the nib and to engage the cap.

AdvKit03 (1).jpgAdvKit03 (2).jpgAdvKit03 (3).jpg

darrin1200

Pen #4
Base Kit Used: Le Roi V2
Parts Removed: Metal sleeve on the twist cap and the metal sleeve on the end tip
Description: The black finished metal sleeves on the twist cap and end tip were removed and replaced with wood. A standard blank was used to make the pen with the grain of the wood being lined up across the three sections. The blank was desert ironwood.

AdvKit04.jpeg

darrin1200

Pen #5
Base Kit Used: Triton Rollerball
Parts Removed: Centerband and finial
Description: Triton Rollerball in maple Burl. I replaced the centerband and finial cap with the same Burl and finished with CA.

AdvKit05 (1).JPGAdvKit05 (2).JPGAdvKit05 (3).JPG

darrin1200

Pen #6
Base Kit Used: Olmsted
Parts Removed: I removed the two black rings, one at the nib and on at the center band. I also replaced the finial.
Description: This is an Olmsted kit with the black rings and finial replaced with some of the blank material. The alumalite blank was made by someone here and given to me a few years ago so I don't remember who made it. The pieces I replaced are on the bottom of the pen stand in the pictures.

AdvKit06 (1).jpgAdvKit06 (2).jpgAdvKit06 (3).jpg

Top Bottom