2010 Suggestions - observations

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

ed4copies

Local Chapter Manager
Today, I notified a member in the USA that his "box of blanks" had been awarded. To Skiprat - in Europe. I ship international enough to know that his box of blanks will be limited to 14 pounds and he will have to do "international Customs" paperwork and pay about $35 for the box (if he stays under 14 pounds). The prize was originally going to include corian pieces, if it were me, the corian would stay in the USA - too HEAVY for the trip to UK>

So, I suggest we try to get some of the UK guys to donate prizes that will be WON by UK members. IF we had a prize assigned and it is won by Europe or Australia - the winner can either pay the shipping, or take a prize from his part of the world.

OTHERWISE, I am afraid the USA guys will be afraid to donate "box of blanks" (which we have 25ish this year) because they are planning on $10 shipping, within USA, but encounter $35 to Europe.

FWIW

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

keithkarl2007

so would it be the same if say i donated a large box of bogwood? I would then only send it to someone in Europe.

ed4copies

Local Chapter Manager
Keith,

That would be correct, UNLESS I am the winner, then I would expect you to ship, next day air - I am NOT a patient person!!!!

Now seriously, that would be the preferable arrangement- but is "bog wood" as treasured there as it is here?

Remember this thread is for suggestions, I know I don't have all the answers --- YET>

Dario

The suggestion sounds great and makes good sense.

It is like 30 people in the US sending some lucky fellow in Canada 3 blanks each! Shipping is more than the blank value! :eek: :biggrin: :wink: LOL

keithkarl2007

i know but when people donate blanks they know they are gonna cover shipping, if it was me i would. Anyone i have sent blanks to as gifts i sent them out of my own pocket.

ed4copies

Local Chapter Manager

It is like 30 people in the US sending some lucky fellow in Canada 3 blanks each! Shipping is more than the blank value! :eek: :biggrin: :wink: LOL

Yeah, but that's the price we pay for being OPTIMISTS!!!!

AND Andrew is a deserving lad!!

ed4copies

Local Chapter Manager
Dario, darnit!!:crying:

If you keep replying to every entry I make, I will never PASS you.:mad::mad:

Now, go do something!!!:smile-big::smile-big::smile-big:

:musical-note:Thanks:musical-note:

maxwell_smart007

Lead Moderator
Staff member
middle of nowhere in the great, white North
That's a good pick-me-up after a hard day at work! :)

I was thinking - perhaps the winner should expect to pay the difference if it's an international shipment? I know that I don't expect people to ship internationally out of their own pocket (including you all - if you dont' want to send me blanks for our private contest, a postcard is fine!) Maybe the winner shoulld/could pay the difference if the shipper doesn't want to ship overseas?

M

Mudder

Keith,

That would be correct, UNLESS I am the winner, then I would expect you to ship, next day air - I am NOT a patient person!!!!

Now seriously, that would be the preferable arrangement- but is "bog wood" as treasured there as it is here?

Remember this thread is for suggestions, I know I don't have all the answers --- YET>

I could say a few things about this.

I believe that Skiprat offered to help with postage. But I get your point.

MesquiteMan

Retired Head Moderator
Why not use the extra money that Jeff has to pick up the difference. Who wants to win a prize only to have to pay the difference in shipping. Especially if it was something they really didn't need or want. If I won a box of blanks from UK, I would probably not be willing to pay the difference since I only work with locally available wood.

This year, I donated a complete casting set. This includes a pressure pot conversion, 2 molds, a mold rack, and resin. It will not fit in a flat rate box and the darn thing weighs 40#. Shipping to europe will be a killer so I put in my donation that it includes US shipping only. I would expect that if the winner is from Europe, then Jeff would pick up the shipping difference from some of the extra proceeds from the bash. To tell the winner they have to pay the difference would not be right and to not award it to them if their number was the one drawn for this would not be right either. That pretty much only leaves donor paying or IAP paying.

On a box of blanks...it depends on what was donated. If it was a flat rate envelope/box, then the most it would cost is $12.80 I believe. I also donated cactus blanks and am willing to cover that difference myself.

ed4copies

Local Chapter Manager
I should probably clarify (so I get another post and keep trying to catch Dario) - NO ONE has complained!!! MY PERCEPTION is that some of the members are on a "shoestring" budget, as it is. YET, they want to GIVE something to their fellow turners, so they donate a bunch of blanks. THESE are the members that I am concerned about.

Many of us are fortunate enough to consider $30 shipping an inconvenience, but no big deal: I would like to find a way to keep the "less affluent" from having to use funds for shipping that might otherwise have been "family entertainment" money.

keithkarl2007

Why not use the extra money that Jeff has to pick up the difference. Who wants to win a prize only to have to pay the difference in shipping. Especially if it was something they really didn't need or want. If I won a box of blanks from UK, I would probably not be willing to pay the difference since I only work with locally available wood.

This year, I donated a complete casting set. This includes a pressure pot conversion, 2 molds, a mold rack, and resin. It will not fit in a flat rate box and the darn thing weighs 40#. Shipping to europe will be a killer so I put in my donation that it includes US shipping only. I would expect that if the winner is from Europe, then Jeff would pick up the shipping difference from some of the extra proceeds from the bash. To tell the winner they have to pay the difference would not be right and to not award it to them if their number was the one drawn for this would not be right either. That pretty much only leaves donor paying or IAP paying.

On a box of blanks...it depends on what was donated. If it was a flat rate envelope/box, then the most it would cost is $12.80 I believe. I also donated cactus blanks and am willing to cover that difference myself.

why bother to even take part in the contest or event then.

MesquiteMan

Retired Head Moderator
Why not? I enter the contests to support the contest and have fun, not to win a prize. If I win something that I don't need, I usually ask the prize guy to send it to someone who needs it more than I do. I actually enjoy that part more than getting the prize!

ed4copies

Local Chapter Manager
UPON FURTHER REVIEW!!

Why not? I enter the contests to support the contest and have fun, not to win a prize. If I win something that I don't need, I usually ask the prize guy to send it to someone who needs it more than I do. I actually enjoy that part more than getting the prize!

I thought about this since yesterday. I believe Curtis makes a good point.

MOST are playing for the "bragging rights" rather than the prize. So, could we declare the PRIZE, AFTER we declare a winner???

This would mean that the prizes would be separated into "donated by USA, donated by Canada, donated by Europe or donated by Australia"

Then, once a winner of the "contest" is declared, the prize from his part of the world is awarded. ------Just another thought, mull it over for 10 months or so --- to the exclusion of all other thoughts, so it gets adequate consideration.

ed4copies

Local Chapter Manager
Andrew,

You are young - we will allow you SEVERAL years to mull it over.

BTW, I am NOT trying to diminish the value of the prizes YOU work hard to have donated - still looks like about EIGHT GRAND to me ----EXCELLENT work, Smart!!!

I'm almost done with 99, she should be returned to you a MUCH HAPPIER woman!!

ed4copies

Local Chapter Manager
Well, Keith,

Trade you even, a little of that ol wet, crappy wood you guys pull out of you bogs for some
BEAUTIFUL, FLAWLESS, GORGEOUS Fagaceae Quercus Rubra - VERY RARE IN ARIZONA. You can tell it's rare, it starts with a "Q"!!!

WANNA????? HUH, WANNA????? C'MON WANNA???

ed4copies

Local Chapter Manager
Isn't almost ALL of our "rare" wood from some other part of the world?

I can only think of Desert Ironwood that is a really special, US mainland wood. But this is probably about a hundred miles from the topic.

maxwell_smart007

Lead Moderator
Staff member
middle of nowhere in the great, white North
Any hardwood is exotic to us up here - we only have pine, western cedar, fir, and spruce that grows naturally...a few maples and box eldars grow in people's lawns, but nothing else is local. Even Red Oak is exotic!

By the way, 99 is very happy that you're 'helping' - by that, I mean 'doing everything'...:)

ed4copies

Local Chapter Manager
I'm glad you are enjoying quiet on the "northern front".

Those northern fronts can get pretty cold!! (Don't need that!!)

DocStram

Dario ..... I'll pay for your shipping costs to send Andrew his blanks. Please email your PP info.

wudnhed

When asking for donations maybe we could just specify that there may be international shipping. If they donate anyway then they are forewarned.

ed4copies

Local Chapter Manager
Becca,

This still is a problem (I Believe) to the many members who donate "box of blanks". The international limit for the "Medium flat rate box" is 14 pounds, I believe. That costs $35. For some of our members, the jump from $10 to $35 can cause stress in their households-----which I really want to avoid.

"Exotics" ships overseas. We have seen this problem first-hand. A "flat rate box" can go over 14 pounds pretty easily.

Now, let's talk about customs paperwork. You have to itemize every piece in the box. "Wood" won't do. 3 pieces oak, 5 pieces maple---"There's no rotted wood, is there sir??" Well, we call it spalted and................................................. off to jail.

Ok, hyperbole, but a pain. And, if the post office doesn't know you, I hate to think how some of our tatooed members could be interrogated. (Falls under USGOVT BS, but happens)

Top Bottom