2009 Trivia Contest

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Randy_

I thought it would be a good idea to have a central meeting place for any discussions about this year's trivia contest.........so here it is!!!

There are probably one or two kinks that need to be worked out; but I think everything ran pretty smoothly for the most part last year.

I need to go back to my old files and find the copy of the daily form that we used last year. I don't see any need to change it but for the few obvious updates; but if someone wants to change it or design a totally new one, I'm open to that as well.

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Randy_

Thought I would test this and see if it works OK on the new forum.

Instructions:
1. Copy and paste this entire text into the body of the new day's thread.
2. Paste the next line into the title block and correct the date.

IAP 2009 BIRTHDAY BASH TRIVIA CONTEST- 1 - FEB

3. Update contest day.
4. Update contest question.
5. Make any other desired changes.
6. Delete these instructions.
7. You should be good to go!!
Note: This is a text file. The formatting code for colors, text size etc is here; but the formatting won't show up until you paste this text into an IAP thread. On occasion, I have had minor problems when accessing this file from a generic text editor like Windows Notepad so I always use MS Word for processing this file and save the file as a txt file.

IAP 2009 BIRTHDAY BASH TRIVIA CONTEST- 1 - FEB
Welcome
to the first day of this year's
IAP TRIVIA CONTEST !!!

We will aim to start each daily contest at 12 noon ET on a given day; but TriviaMeister schedules may necessitate earlier or later starting times. Regardless of the starting time, you will have until noon of the following day to email your answer for the contest question. Please be sure to include your IAP screen name with your answer so we know who you are.​

All entries "postmarked" before noon of the contest closing day will be placed in a hat(electronic hat, actually) and two winners selected. Winners will be the first two entries selected at random that are valid and have the correct answer to the contest question. The winners will be announced on contest closing day at 8 P.M. ET (or thereabouts as the TriviaMeister's schedule permits:wink:) and the decision of the TriviaMeister will be final.​

The prizes you will be competing for today are:

1. Two carbon fiber blank sets for Jr. Gent. and two carbon fiber blanks for Sierra's and one set carbon fiber blanks for slimline compliments of CaptG (Gary).

2. 28 oz. casting kit. Winner's choice of black, white, or clear compliments of Alumilite Corporation.

!!!!!***HAVE FUN AND GOOD LUCK***!!!!!

Question for day 1.....​

There are a number of mini/midi lathes on the market that are advertised as being "continuously variable speed" machines. What they don't always say is that to achieve the full range of speeds, it may be necessary to move a belt on a stepped pulley just like the non-VS machines. Most old-timers are familiar with this "stretching" of the facts; but more than few new turners are disappointed to learn that the real world is not quite as the ad men portray it.

If you owned a JET Mini 1014 VS and wanted to be able to access all of the available speeds, what is the minimum number of times you would need to move the belt?

Email your answer to: trivia@penturners.org

Please show the date and name of the contest in the title block of your email entry i.e., 1 FEB Trivia Contest. You can copy/paste the preceding. (This saves time for the TriviaMeister in processing entries.) Also be sure to include your screen name with your answer!!​

Note: "Laundry list" entries that include several possible alternative answers are "NOT" acceptable. Submit only one answer per question or question part(if there is a multi-part question) unless the question specifically asks for multiple answers. Thanks.​

We are discussing the possibility of limiting the number of prizes an individual member can receive from the Trivia Contest. if it is determined that a limit will be set, it will be noted here.​

Good thing I checked because, obviously, it doesn't work. Well, guess I have a little work to do??:bananen_smilies035:

LATER............Well. this one is fixed, I think. Now I gotta fix the one that announces prizes and winners.:frown:

zaqqaz

Last edited:

fiferb

Randy,

Thanks for posting this, you can ignore my PM. Guess I should scan the daily posts first.

One thing I remember from last year to improve on this year - don't make a question that may have multiple answers. For expample, last year I asked what were other names for Bocote. The answer could be one of about a hundred different names. I got more grief from this question even though I counted them all correct if they quoted the source.

Randy_

Dion (and Bruce if you need a reminder):

Here is the method I used to select the daily winner of the Trivia Contest. There may be better ways to do it; but this worked quite well for me.

I counted the total number of entries received for a particular contest.....without regard for the answer. I then used this random number generator.

http://www.publishpoint.com/random_numbers.cfm?RequestTimeout=999999

Plug in the range of the number of entries.......if you get 55 entries, plug in 1 and 55 and ask for about 5 random numbers Starting with the first entry received, count to the entry that equals the value of the first random number. If that answer is correct, you have a winner. If the answer is wrong, take the second random number and count again to select the next entry. Continue this process until you select an entry that has the correct answer.

You will find that most entries have the correct answer so you will nornally not have to go through the selection process more than a couple of times. Advantage of this system is that you don't have to read 60 or 70 entries and sort out the ones with incorrect answers.

Hope that is clear. Holler if you have a question.:)

Last edited:

fiferb

I remember Randy. This worked very well since you don't have to sort through all the answers to find the right ones. It also keeps the integrity of being random for correct answers.

Randy_

Hey Bruce:

I was looking at the threads from last year and found one where we had to change the language about postmarks and deadlines; because of a customer comment. I did not have that language on the form above originally; but have now changed it to the language you suggested last year.± I'm sure you will remember the discussion now that I have mentioned it.

I still need to do something with the starting time language. Please review the revised language.....tomorrow.....and let me know if it is OK. Thanks

Randy_

This is the second "form" from last years Trivia Contest. It is the announcement of the winners and instructions for claiming the prizes. I'm sure it won't display correctly because of the new forum software so I will work on it over the next day or so to get it working properly. In the meantime, you can ignore it.

Instructions:
1. Copy and paste this entire text into the body of a new thread.
2. Update contest question and answer.
3. Update contest day.
4. Update winners.
5. Update prizes.
6. Make any other desired changes.
7. Delete these instructions.
8. You should be good to go!!
Note: This is a text file. The formatting code for colors, text size etc is here but the formatting won't show up until you paste this text into an IAP thread. On occasion, I have had minor problems when accessing this file from a generic text editor like Windows Notepad so I always use MS Word for processing this file.

Trivia Contest Winners

Question: How much is 2 + 2?

Answer: Four

The winners of the day 10 contest are:

Rudy Vey
and
mrcook4570

And the prizes are:
Laser engraving service donated by mrcook4570
Pen Blanks(2) donated by its_virgil

*****CONGRATULATIONS*****

Note: Both winners need to go to Ed & Dawn's profile page (Click Here) and email them with:

1. Your screen name
2. Your real name & mailing address
3. Your phone number and
4. Your prize preference.
5. Please place the date and name of the contest you won in the title block of your email.(Example: Jan 8 Trivia Contest)

First winner to respond each day will receive his/her choice of the two available
prizes!!

I would like to remind winners that the prize you will be receiving has been donated by a supporter of the IAP. Please take a minute to email a note of appreciation when you receive your prize.

Thanks.

zaqqaz

Last edited:

fiferb

Email your answer to: 2009bashtrivia@penturners.org

Please show the date and name of the contest in the title block of your email i.e.,​
1 FEB Trivia Contest. You can copy/paste the preceeding.(This saves time for the TriviaMeister in processing entries.) And be sure to include your screen name with your answer!!

Randy,

You may want to include this both above the question in the instructions and then again at the bottom of the questions as a reminder. If I recall from last year some people stopped reading the directions thoroughly and were a bit miffed when they didn't get it right, even though it was clearly stated. If we can get them into the habit right off the bat it will make it easier for all.

Randy_

Bruce: I'm going to hold off on making any more changes to the trivia instructions right now. You have seen the discussion about the prize distribution system and requirements for valid contest entries so I am going to wait until all of that is finalized.​

dntrost

Great I saved the link to the random number generator to my favorites this will make it easy. Can you give me the link to last years actual contest so I can get a flavor for the type of questions asked...

Randy_

Dion: I think the forum for last year's actual contest is closed and hidden.; but you can see most, if not all, of the questions by going to the 2008 Bash Planning Forum and looking for the three threads where the TriviaMeisters posted their proposed questions last year.​

Cav has asked us not to post the questions publicly this year so the other Bash volunteers can participate, too. If you have a problem, let me know; but I think the titles will make it evident which threads you want to look at.

Randy_

Bruce: With respect to your comment in message #8 above, Maybe I have been looking at it too long; but I'm not sure I fully understand what you want done?? Sorry to be so dense.

I think we are pretty close to getting things finished up now so I am ready to make whatever final adjustments need to be made and get this show on the road!!

fiferb

Bruce: With respect to your comment in message #8 above, Maybe I have been looking at it too long; but I'm not sure I fully understand what you want done?? Sorry to be so dense.

I think we are pretty close to getting things finished up now so I am ready to make whatever final adjustments need to be made and get this show on the road!!

I think what I'm trying to say is, people have a tendency to not read any instructions that are listed after the question. If you put that information I highlighted in #8 both before the trivia question and after as a reminder, it may help to actually get it right. Last year there was some overlap of questions even if it was only by a few minutes or hours.

Randy_

I think what I'm trying to say is, people have a tendency to not read any instructions that are listed after the question. If you put that information I highlighted in #8 both before the trivia question and after as a reminder, it may help to actually get it right. Last year there was some overlap of questions even if it was only by a few minutes or hours.

I really am sorry to be so dense........just having a complete mental block. Are you saying you would like to see all of the text that was in the quote box in post #8 placed in the announcement twice......once before the question and once after the question?? See the following example. This notice is already pretty long and adding to it may just cause more folks to skip reading parts of it. Would it do to just to move all of the text in the quote box to a postion in front of the question?

Finally, you added the little commentg about the occasional time overlap of some questions. Not quite sure I understand what you are trying to get at there either??

IAP 2009 BIRTHDAY BASH TRIVIA CONTEST- 2 - FEB
Welcome
to the second day of this year's
IAP TRIVIA CONTEST !!!

We will aim to start each daily contest at 12 noon ET on a given day; but TriviaMeister schedules may necessitate earlier or later starting times. Regardless of the starting time, you will have until noon ET of the following day to email your answer for the contest question. Please be sure to include your IAP screen name with your answer so we know who you are.

All entries "postmarked" before noon ET of the contest closing day will be placed in a hat(electronic hat, actually) and two winners selected. Winners will be the first two entries selected at random that are valid and have the correct answer to the contest question. The winners will be announced on contest closing day at 8 P.M. ET (or thereabouts as the TriviaMeister's schedule permits:wink:) and the decision of the TriviaMeister will be final.

Please show the date and name of the contest in the title block of your email entry i.e., 2 FEB Trivia Contest. You can copy/paste the preceeding. (This saves time for the TriviaMeister in processing entries.) Also be sure to include your screen name with your answer!!

1. $25 Gift Certificate. Donated by Exoticblanks.com (Ed4Copies)
2. One envelope of pen blanks. Donated by bobskio2003.

Question for day 2.....

At first reading it will seem like a pretty tough question (One of the TriviaMeisters said it made his head hurt); but if you think about it for a minute, it is really quite simple and

Please show the date and name of the contest in the title block of your email entry i.e., 2 FEB Trivia Contest. You can copy/paste the preceeding. (This saves time for the TriviaMeister in processing entries.) Also be sure to include your screen name with your answer!!

Note: "Laundry list" entries that include several possible alternative answers are "NOT" acceptable. Submit only one answer per question or question part(if there is a multi-part question) unless the question specifically asks for multiple answers. Thanks.

The TriviaMeisters have decided there will be "NO" limit on the number of times any one person can win a prize. If you know your stuff and are lucky in the draw, you could win as many as 28 prizes!!!:wink:

Last edited:

Randy_

First day seemed to go OK; but for one little SNAFU on my part. Bruce suggested a revision of the initial announcement to deal with a problem that popped up last year. In my rush to get things moving, I used the old announcement instead of the revised one. That oversight will be corrected for future contests.

Randy_

Most Current Trivia Announcement Form

Most current Trivia Contest Anouncement.

IAP 2009 BIRTHDAY BASH TRIVIA CONTEST-9 FEB QUESTION
(use this for the title block and then delete)

Welcome
to the ninth day of this year's
IAP TRIVIA CONTEST !!!

We will aim to start each daily contest at 12 noon ET on a given day; but TriviaMeister schedules may necessitate earlier or later starting times. Regardless of the starting time, you will have until noon ET of the following day to email your answer for the contest question. Please be sure to include your IAP screen name with your answer so we know who you are.​

All entries "postmarked" before noon ET of the contest closing day will be placed in a hat(electronic hat, actually) and two winners selected. Winners will be the first two entries selected at random that are valid and have the correct answer to the contest question. The winners will be announced on contest closing day at 8 P.M. ET (or thereabouts as the TriviaMeister's schedule permits:wink:) and the decision of the TriviaMeister will be final.

Email your answer to:..............CLICK HERE

Please show the date and name of the contest in the subject line of your email entry i.e., 9 FEB Trivia. You can copy/paste the preceeding. (This saves time for the TriviaMeister in processing entries.) Also be sure to include your screen name with your answer!!​

The prizes you will be competing for today are:​

Five (5) Neopean kits and a set of bushings.Donated by Aaron at Lau Lau Woodworks.

and

$25 Gift Certificate. Donated by Exoticblanks.com (Ed4Copies).

Well, this is the last day of my reign as TriviaMeister. Good thing as I have run out of questions!!:wink: Been fun and educational as well. I always learn something from the entries that are submitted so thanks. We have had real good participation so far.....over a hundred entries on almost every day.......and you guys must have been attending Pen College over the past year as we got a lot more correct correct entries this year than last. Sadly, some of you do need to study a little harder.

OK, here is the last question from me (for a while, at least). I imagine this one will give you a little more trouble than some of the previous ones. :tongue: Good luck!!

Rookie days start tomorrow..............be gentle!!:biggrin:

Question for day 9.....​

This is a home-made lathe. Who made it.?

1_Lathe1.jpg

Email your answer to:....................CLICK HERE

Please show the date and name of the contest in the subject line of your email entry i.e., 9 FEB Trivia. You can copy/paste the preceeding. (This saves time for the TriviaMeister in processing entries.) Also be sure to include your screen name with your answer!!​

Note: "Laundry list" entries that include several possible alternative answers are "NOT" acceptable. Submit only one answer per question or question part(if there is a multi-part question) unless the question specifically asks for multiple answers. Thanks.​

The TriviaMeisters have decided there will be "NO" limit on the number of times any one person can win a prize. If you know your stuff and are lucky in the draw, you could win as many as 28 prizes!!!:wink:

zaqqaz

Last edited:

Randy_

Will do, Bruce; but I think you, Al and I made just about all of the mistakes that could possibly be made last year and things should be copacetic this year!! (famous last words):rolleyes:

Randy_

Most Current Winners Announcement

Most current Winners Announcement.

Trivia Contest Winners-Day 9
(Paste into title block and then delete)

Trivia Contest Winners
(Day 9)

Question:
This is a home-made lathe. Who made it?
1_Lathe1.jpg

Answer:
George Archer - retired engineer from Savannah, GA. For more details see:​

The winners of the Day 9 contest are:

rjwolfe3 and Bruce119

The prizes are:

Five Neopean kits and a set of bushings. Donated by Aaron at Lau Lau Woodworks.

and

$25 Gift Certificate. Donated by Exoticblanks.com (Ed4Copies).

*****CONGRATULATIONS*****

Note: Both winners need to go to Ed & Dawn's profile page, select their IAP "contact info" and (EMAIL)them with:

1. Your screen name
2. Your real name & mailing address
3. Your phone number and
4. Your prize preference.
5. Please place the date and name of the contest you won in the subject line of your email.(Example: 9 Feb. Trivia Contest)

Please do "NOT" send your email to Ed's web site!!

First winner to respond each day will receive his/her choice of the two available
prizes!!

I would like to remind winners that the prize you will be receiving has been donated by a supporter of the IAP. Please take a minute to email a note of appreciation when you receive your prize.

Thanks.

zaqqaz

Last edited:

dntrost

Welcome
to the ninth day of this year's
IAP TRIVIA CONTEST !!!

We will aim to start each daily contest at 12 noon ET on a given day; but TriviaMeister schedules may necessitate earlier or later starting times. Regardless of the starting time, you will have until noon ET of the following day to email your answer for the contest question. Please be sure to include your IAP screen name with your answer so we know who you are.

All entries "postmarked" before noon ET of the contest closing day will be placed in a hat(electronic hat, actually) and two winners selected. Winners will be the first two entries selected at random that are valid and have the correct answer to the contest question. The winners will be announced on contest closing day at 8 P.M. ET (or thereabouts as the TriviaMeister's schedule permits) and the decision of the TriviaMeister will be final.

Please show the date and name of the contest in the subject line of your email entry i.e., 9 FEB Trivia. You can copy/paste the preceeding. (This saves time for the TriviaMeister in processing entries.) Also be sure to include your screen name with your answer!!

Package of antler and 3 gold Baron kits. Donated by dntrost (Dion)

and

Envelope of misc. blanks. Donated by Nolan.

Question for day 8.....

If you were to run a Jet Mini non-VS lathe at its top speed for one hour per day for an entire non-leap year, how many revolutions would the spindle make? (Round off your answer to the closest million.)

Please show the date and name of the contest in the subject line of your email entry i.e., 9FEB Trivia. You can copy/paste the preceeding. (This saves time for the TriviaMeister in processing entries.) Also be sure to include your screen name with your answer!!

Note: "Laundry list" entries that include several possible alternative answers are "NOT" acceptable. Submit only one answer per question or question part(if there is a multi-part question) unless the question specifically asks for multiple answers. Thanks.

The TriviaMeisters have decided there will be "NO" limit on the number of times any one person can win a prize. If you know your stuff and are lucky in the draw, you could win as many as 28 prizes!!!

Top Bottom