2 words to on face shield first

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

WriteON

2 words ... Tommy Bars. I always put my face protection on before turning any machine on. I learned this a while ago. Anyway today I turned the lathe on (slow speed) and the bars were in the chuck. They went airborne. Fortunately no harm done. Be careful. Be careful. Safety first each and every time.

Last edited:
Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

bsshog40

Besides a face mask, I also have a leather welders apron I use. It helps keep sawdust off but if something does go flying, that extra protection on your body can help from small cuts.

tiggere

I might need to stand a bit further to the side then...I am usually in front of the chuck area watching the wood when I turn the lathe on...this does not seem quite far enough now...

TonyL

I made the mistake of leaving the Nova chuck tool/wrench in the chuck....it missed me, I was lucky! Glad you are well.

Woodchipper

Good that thing nothing happened to you. I almost started my lathe with the key in the Jacob's chuck in the headstock. Noticed it at the last minute. I got a few inches of yellow ribbon from the wife's craft stash. Tied it to the chuck key and tied a loop. It hangs on a magnetic hook on the end of the lathe. Yellow is hard to miss.

tomtedesco

Makes me think of Mr Schultz, my shop teacher in high school. He was always on the hunt for students leaving the chuck key in the chuck, it was a capital offence. His constant yelling about the key still reminds me (55 yrs later) not to leave keys or bars in the chuck. Glad everyone is OK, thanks Mr Schultz.

WriteON

Thank you Mr Shultz is right. Aside from remembering the keys. .... safety gear first. Same as putting on the seat belt as soon as we get onto car.

tiggere

Thank you Mr Shultz is right. Aside from remembering the keys. .... safety gear first. Same as putting on the seat belt as soon as we get onto car.

You might need more than a seat-belt if you are getting on to a car...just sayin' šŸ˜‚

Top Bottom