1st HSS Tool?

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

ImEricToo

Hello All,

Been turning pens and small bowls for about a year or so with carbide tools. Would like to up my game and start with HSS tools. Figured would be good to start with ONE tool. Would a skew be a good start to complement my carbide? If so, what size? 1/2 inch? Realize I will also need to purchase a slow speed bench grinder for sharpening.

Thanks for any input,
Eric

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
Well, if you do bowls a skew is not the ideal tool to start with. Hoenstly, I don't use a skew very much personally. My recommendation would be a quality 1/2" or 5/8" HSS bowl gouge to start with, 40-40 grind or something similar. You can turn bowls, pens and everything in between with that bowl gouge. A good brand to start with is Robert Sorby. Solid tools that will last but won't break the bank account. Other options could be Robust, D-Way, Ashley Harwood, Thompson, Crown, etc. Depends on what you're willing to spend.

For a slow speed grinder the cheapest one that is good would be the WEN one and consider a sharpening system like the Wolverine jig. The Ryobi slow speed grinder is also a good one but will cost more. Eventually CBN wheels should be added a money becomes available. Here is a link to the WEN grinder:

Valleyboy

Skew is my tool of choice for spindle work but, as you may know, it's not suitable and actually dangerous for cutting bowls (although you can use it to scrape the outside for finishing rather like a negative rake).
For spindle work it's one of the hardest to master but once you do you won't use anything else. It's incredibly adaptable as you can cut, slice and scrape with it so you don't need to change tools. I use a 3/4 inch which I find suits the majority of my needs. I love it.
Cheers
Ash

jttheclockman

I will agree about a skew being the one tool when doing spindle work. Master that tool and learn to keep it sharp and you can make it sing. Bowls are a different thing so follow others in that topic. I do not do bowls.

KenB259

Just
Hello All,

Been turning pens and small bowls for about a year or so with carbide tools. Would like to up my game and start with HSS tools. Figured would be good to start with ONE tool. Would a skew be a good start to complement my carbide? If so, what size? 1/2 inch? Realize I will also need to purchase a slow speed bench grinder for sharpening.

Thanks for any input,
Eric
Just one comment on the skew size. I would not recommend you start with a 1/2 inch skew. The wider the skew the easier it will be to learn on. I would suggest a 3/4 minimum. When you're doing a finishing cut, you'll need to stay away from that sharp point and with a 1/2 inch skew, there's not much room for error.

randyrls

Eric; As Noted above there are two general categories of tools.

Spindle Work: Spindle (Roughing) Gouge; Skew
Bowl Work: Bowl Gouge; Scraper

My suggestion for the skew; A "Hollow" grind on the skew makes the skew very "grabby". Instead, put a flat grind on the skew. Take a close look at skews in a store. You will see they are all flat ground. There are ways to get a flat grind on a skew. A disk sander is one way or CBN wheel with a flat surface on side of the wheel.

ImEricToo

Well, if you do bowls a skew is not the ideal tool to start with. Hoenstly, I don't use a skew very much personally. My recommendation would be a quality 1/2" or 5/8" HSS bowl gouge to start with, 40-40 grind or something similar. You can turn bowls, pens and everything in between with that bowl gouge. A good brand to start with is Robert Sorby. Solid tools that will last but won't break the bank account. Other options could be Robust, D-Way, Ashley Harwood, Thompson, Crown, etc. Depends on what you're willing to spend.

For a slow speed grinder the cheapest one that is good would be the WEN one and consider a sharpening system like the Wolverine jig. The Ryobi slow speed grinder is also a good one but will cost more. Eventually CBN wheels should be added a money becomes available. Here is a link to the WEN grinder:

Great info - thanks so much!!

ImEricToo

Skew is my tool of choice for spindle work but, as you may know, it's not suitable and actually dangerous for cutting bowls (although you can use it to scrape the outside for finishing rather like a negative rake).
For spindle work it's one of the hardest to master but once you do you won't use anything else. It's incredibly adaptable as you can cut, slice and scrape with it so you don't need to change tools. I use a 3/4 inch which I find suits the majority of my needs. I love it.
Cheers
Ash
Thank you!

ImEricToo

Just

Just one comment on the skew size. I would not recommend you start with a 1/2 inch skew. The wider the skew the easier it will be to learn on. I would suggest a 3/4 minimum. When you're doing a finishing cut, you'll need to stay away from that sharp point and with a 1/2 inch skew, there's not much room for error.
Makes sense - thanks a bunch!

ImEricToo

Eric; As Noted above there are two general categories of tools.

Spindle Work: Spindle (Roughing) Gouge; Skew
Bowl Work: Bowl Gouge; Scraper

My suggestion for the skew; A "Hollow" grind on the skew makes the skew very "grabby". Instead, put a flat grind on the skew. Take a close look at skews in a store. You will see they are all flat ground. There are ways to get a flat grind on a skew. A disk sander is one way or CBN wheel with a flat surface on side of the wheel.
Thanks!

ImEricToo

Thanks again everyone for the quick and informative replies. Truly helpful!! Looks like a bowl gouge AND a skew would be a good start.

monophoto

If you ask three turners for their opinions about which tool to buy, you will get at least nine contradictory answers.

Re skews - yup, using them takes practice, and you will probably exercise your swearing a bit, but they are great tools for spindle work. Frankly, I wouldn't spend the money for a grinder based on owning a skew. A grinder produces a hollow bevel - there's nothing wrong with that, but on a skew, a flat bevel is usually preferred. f they they are really dull or nicked, I might have to grind a new face on a skew using a sanding disk,, but routine sharpening is done exclusively with a diamond hone. I have skews ranging from 1/4" through 1" - the 3/4" and 1" are probably the ones I use most.

But if I were in your situation, I think I would go for a bowl gouge - either 3/8 or 1/2". You probably would want a grinder to sharpen a bowl gouge, and yes, slow speed is better than a typical 2-pole machine, but I've been using a 3600 r/min grinder for many years with no problem. Learning to sharpen a gouge, especially a bowl gouge where you might want a 'longer' bevel, also takes practice but possibly not as much as learning to effectively use a skew. The thing you have to remember is that the difference between a slow speed grinder and a high speed grinder is that a high speed grinder removes steel much faster, so using a high speed grinder means that the point when you need to replace your tools will come sooner than if you use a low speed grinder. There are two ways to compensate for the greater aggressiveness of a high speed grinder. One is to practice your sharpening skills - the more efficient you are at sharpening, the less time you spend at the grinder which means that you are removing less steel each time. The other thing you can do you minimize the penalty associated with a high-speed grinder is to use a very light hand when sharpening - that's something that you eventually learn as you acquire skill, but if you know that at the outset, you will save both learning time and tool steel. A recommendtion that you sometimes hear is that it's prudent to start the HSS journey with a less expensive tool as you are learning how to sharpen, and then move up to a more expensive name brand tool after you have acquired some skill. There are a number of HSS tool brands that fall into the 'less expensive but still quite adequate' category - Benjamin's Best comes to mind.

ImEricToo

If you ask three turners for their opinions about which tool to buy, you will get at least nine contradictory answers.

Re skews - yup, using them takes practice, and you will probably exercise your swearing a bit, but they are great tools for spindle work. Frankly, I wouldn't spend the money for a grinder based on owning a skew. A grinder produces a hollow bevel - there's nothing wrong with that, but on a skew, a flat bevel is usually preferred. f they they are really dull or nicked, I might have to grind a new face on a skew using a sanding disk,, but routine sharpening is done exclusively with a diamond hone. I have skews ranging from 1/4" through 1" - the 3/4" and 1" are probably the ones I use most.

But if I were in your situation, I think I would go for a bowl gouge - either 3/8 or 1/2". You probably would want a grinder to sharpen a bowl gouge, and yes, slow speed is better than a typical 2-pole machine, but I've been using a 3600 r/min grinder for many years with no problem. Learning to sharpen a gouge, especially a bowl gouge where you might want a 'longer' bevel, also takes practice but possibly not as much as learning to effectively use a skew. The thing you have to remember is that the difference between a slow speed grinder and a high speed grinder is that a high speed grinder removes steel much faster, so using a high speed grinder means that the point when you need to replace your tools will come sooner than if you use a low speed grinder. There are two ways to compensate for the greater aggressiveness of a high speed grinder. One is to practice your sharpening skills - the more efficient you are at sharpening, the less time you spend at the grinder which means that you are removing less steel each time. The other thing you can do you minimize the penalty associated with a high-speed grinder is to use a very light hand when sharpening - that's something that you eventually learn as you acquire skill, but if you know that at the outset, you will save both learning time and tool steel. A recommendtion that you sometimes hear is that it's prudent to start the HSS journey with a less expensive tool as you are learning how to sharpen, and then move up to a more expensive name brand tool after you have acquired some skill. There are a number of HSS tool brands that fall into the 'less expensive but still quite adequate' category - Benjamin's Best comes to mind.
More great info!! Thanks!!

dogcatcher

Almost ny single HSS chisel will set you back a minimum of $40.

Hurricane a basic brand is about $40.

All of my chisels are HSS, some good, others utilitarian. I also use Harbor Freight set https://www.harborfreight.com/high-speed-steel-wood-turning-set-8-piece-61794.html it cost me $80 for the set. Decent steel, not that of a $100 plus single gouge. But decent inexpensive tools to learn to sharpen on.

Sharpening, I use a belt sander with a homemade jig based on Captain Eddie's videos.

Great info - thanks so much!!

A lot of people really like their skews and that is perfectly fine and a 3/4-1" would be best. At the same time I can do everything with just as clean of cuts requiring minimal sanding with bowl gouges. Sharp tools and technique allow overlapping uses for gouges whether it be bowl or spindle.

Best option may be, as suggested already, is to get a HSS set. The Harbor Freight Windsor purplish-brown handled set is the ideal starter. It will include a skew, roughing gouge, parting tool, spindle gouge, scraper, etc for you to start experimenting with. It is a great starter set which I also started with when I began on this turning journey. It won't break your heart or the bank while learning the sharpen and messing up.

Top Bottom