17 JAN - IAP 2008 BIRTHDAY BASH TRIVIA CONTEST

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

fiferb

Welcome to the seventeenth day of this year's IAP TRIVIA CONTEST</u>. You will have until 12 noon ET tomorrow to email your answer to this question. Please be sure to include your IAP screen name with your answer so we know who you are.

All correct answers "postmarked" before noon will be placed in a hat and two winners selected every day. The winners will be announced about 8 P.M. ET of the day the question closes and the decision of the TRIVIAMEISTER will be final.

!!!!!***HAVE FUN AND GOOD LUCK***!!!!!
Question for day 17.....

Question: What is another common name for Bocote? (Please provide resource)

(Note: Good luck!!)

Email your answer to: <s>2008bashtrivia@penturners.org</s> Closed

Please show the date and name of the contest in the title block of the email i.e., 17Jan Trivia. (saves time for the TRIVIAMEISTER in processing entries.)

Note: "Laundry list" entries that include several possible alternative answers are "NOT" acceptable. Submit only one answer per question or question part(if there is a multi-part question) unless the question specifically asks for multiple answers. Thanks.

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

ed4copies

Local Chapter Manager
Well, I haven't responded to the PMG stuff, cause I'm not looking to offend anyone if they should happen to take something seriously.

BUT, this one is easy

There was even a song about it:

"WILD WOOD NIGHTS"

When people look at Bocote, they frequently say, WOW, that's a WILD WOOD!!! The grain pattern is usually "WILD".

Of course, I have always wondered what Tame wood would look like,

But that's another question.

M

Mudder

Originally posted by ed4copies

I have always wondered what Tame wood would look like,

I suspect it looks the tame as any other wood? :D

GaryMGg

Wasn't that a Van Morrison song? "Wild Wood" ...

As you brush your shoes
And stand before the mirror
And you comb your hair
And grab your coat and hat
And you walk, wet streets
Tryin to remember
All the wild breezes
In your memory ever.
And everything looks so complete
When you're walkin out on the street
And the wind catches your feet
And sends you flyin, cryin
Ooh-wee!
The wild wood is calling.
And all the girls walk by
Dressed up for each other
And the boys do the boogie-woogie
On the corner of the street
And the people passin by
Just stare in wild wonder
And the inside juke-box
Roars out just like thunder.
And everything looks so complete...
The wild wood is calling
The wild wood is calling
Come on out and dance
Come on out and make romance....

;)[:p]

Sylvanite

Originally posted by GaryMGg

Wasn't that a Van Morrison song? "Wild Wood" ...

Funny, I was thinking Cat Stevens:

Now that I've spent all my dough on tools,
You say you wanted me to buy you jewels,
And it's splitting my heart you're leavin'
Baby, I've grievin'

But if you want leave, take good care,
'Hope you find a lot of nice burls out there
Just remember there's a lot rot and beware.

Oh, baby baby, it's a Wild Wood.
It's hard to get by on just upon birdseye.
Oh baby baby, it's a Wild Wood,
And I'll always remember you... Woah! Look at that spalted pecan!

Or something like that, anyway.

karlkuehn

Banned
Hope I don't give away any hints with this:

To pagans and witches, Bacote is known as the tree of divination, wisdom, and clearing.

*snorts*

It usually gives me the 'wisdom' to know when I've completely screwed up and need to 'clear' the brass tube and start over. After it blows up, by carefully reading the lay of the fragments, it unerringly leads me to my beer, fulfilling the 'divination' aspect. heh (source: http://www.moonlightdirect.net/bacote-wood-wand-p-1492.html)

Jarheaded

I used to know some Pagans. They would only use Bocote to hit someone with. This question may have gotten dragged into the woods while yesterdays got dragged into the gutter.
Johnnie

M

Mudder

Originally posted by Jarheaded

I used to know some Pagans. They would only use Bocote to hit someone with. This question may have gotten dragged into the woods while yesterdays got dragged into the gutter.
Johnnie

Careful with the Pagan talk or a pagan might just come out of the woodwork and put a spell on you! [:0]

I think those of Italian decent might remember their Grandmothers speak of the "Malook" (Pronounced "Ma-Luke")(At least that's how my Ex-wife's grandmother used to pronounce it) ;)

fiferb

Trivia Contest Winners</u>

Question: What is another common name for Bocote?

Answer: First, let me say there were a huge variety of answers. The list presented here is what I had in mind when I first posted the question. If you provided a resource and you came up with an answer other than mine, I verified it and counted it as correct. I've also put some of the references in case you may want to look up other woods in the future.

Other Common Names: Anacahuite, Baria (Cuba), Siricote, Bocote, Cupane, Amapa asta (Mexico), Canalete (Colombia, Venezuela), Louro pardo (Brazil), Loro negro (Argentina).
http://www2.fpl.fs.fed.us/TechSheets/Chudnoff/TropAmerican/html_files/cordia1new.html

http://www.exotichardwoods-southamerica.com/bocote.htm

www.tropicalhardwoods.com

http://www.kestrelcreek.com/Wood.htm

http://www.onlinewoods.com/onlinewoods/species.php?woodtype=71

http://www.nwfinewoodworking.com/wood_types/bocote.htm

http://advantagelumber.com/mexbocote.htm

http://www.hobbithouseinc.com/personal/woodpics/index.htm

http://www.pennstateind.com/library/ID-CARDS-Bocote.pdf

http://www.exotichardwoods.co.uk/Woods/WoodList/Bocote/Bocote.htm

http://www.kestrelcreek.com/Wood.htm

http://www.countyfloors.com/species_bocote.html

http://www.missioninwood.com/crosswoods.htm

http://curiouswoods.com/wood--Bocote--BOC

http://www.craft-supplies.co.uk/cgi-bin/psProdCat.cgi/Bocote/Mexican===Rosewood,2,,,A===B

http://www.tropicaltrees.co.cr/index.html

Note: There were 70 responses for this question. Remember, the original post with the question states "Laundry list" entries that include several possible alternative answers are "NOT" acceptable. Submit only one answer per question or question part(if there is a multi-part question) unless the question specifically asks for multiple answers.

Many of you provided a Laundry List for this question. The 2 winners did not. Thanks.

The winners of the day 17 contest are:

Sylvanite

and

Roy99664

And the prizes are:

Prize One - Water clear kit(32 oz.) donated by Alumilite.

Prize Two - Pen Blanks donated by GaryMGg

*****CONGRATULATIONS*****

Note: Both winners need to go to Andrew Jordan's profile and email him with:

1. Name and date of the contest you won, in the title block of the email, please. (Example: Jan 17 Trivia)
2. Your mailing address and
3. Your prize preference. (If you both select the same prize, Andrew will flip a coin to determine who gets what.
4. Phone number.(New requirement per Andrew as FedEx requires it for packages they carry.

I would like to remind each winner that the gift you will be receiving has been donated by a supporter of the IAP. Please take a minute to email a note of appreciation when you receive your prize. Thanks.

airrat

Not to beat a dead horse on this laundry list. BUT, the question should state submit only one answer we will verify if it is correct.

That then to me means they submitted only one "common name" for Bocote, but your answer says the list here is what I had in mind. I am confused.

OR are saying our laundry list was our resources we listed? If that was the case then could you not have put in the question list one resource.

great12b4ever

You missed one reference so I thought I would show it here for you. Doesn't show any of the common names you listed tho.

&gt;From Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
(

Revision as of 15:59, 9 August 2005
Scientific classification
Kingdom: Plantae
Division: Magnoliophyta
Class: Magnoliopsida
Order: Lamiales
Family: Boraginaceae
Genus: Cordia
Species: C. alliodora

Binomial name
Cordia alliodora
(Ruiz & Pav.) Oken
Bocote (Cordia alliodora) is a tropical flowering tree in the genus Cordia,
family Boraginaceae. It can reach 35 m in height. It is also sometimes known as
"Spanish elm" or "freijo".

Uses
The wood is used for boat decking, furniture, cabinetry and guitar/bass building
luthiers. Sometimes substitutes for mahogany or teak.

This plant article is a stub. Please help Wikipedia grow by expanding it

?????

fiferb

OK, I've taken a beating over this so let me clarify some things. First, the list of common names I posted as the answer is what I initially found from what I thought was a reliable source. My intent was to have you answer with one name so that I could verify it against my list with what I was hoping would be a simple process. I also did not post all of the potential common names, I thought the references were sufficient.

I asked for your reference for two reasons. I know there are a multiple names for the same wood so at least I would have the opportunity to see it in writing somewhere versus something pulled out of the air. Second, I thought it would be nice to put together a list of references that people could go to if they needed to research woods.

Now, as far as counting answers correct or incorrect. I do not prescreen. What I do is take a complete list of answers, right or wrong, and use the random number generator that Randy provided. I take the first number it gives me, find the matching individual, then I check their answer. If it is correct, they are a winner. If incorrect, I go to the next number. In this case today, I only needed to go to the first two numbers to get the two winners. It just happens that they only provided one answer instead of a list. No one was disqualified based on providing a list. No one was disqualified for not giving a reference.

I'm trying to make this as fair as possible to everyone. Thanks for your understanding.

airrat

Makes little more sense now Bruce, I thank you for responding and hope you did not take it personal. Like I said I was confused and just want to make sure I do understand.

great12b4ever

Sorry, but I still don't understand the method. In the January 1st trivia, Randy posted this:
All correct answers "postmarked" before noon will be placed in a hat and one winner selected every day. (actually, I'm going to use an electronic random number generator to select the winner.) The winner will be announced about
8 P.M. EST. on the day the question closes and the decision of the TRIVIA MASTER is final. There will be a nice gift presented to each winner.

On this particular trivia, it was posted like this:
All correct answers "postmarked" before noon will be placed in a hat and one winner selected every day. The winner will be announced about
8 P.M. EST. on the day the question closes and the decision of the TRIVIA MASTER is final. There will be a nice gift presented to each winner.

This seems to say that all corect answers are screened from the incorrect answers first, and, since a hat is not used, then the random number generator is used, "BASED ON THE NUMBER OF CORRECT ANSWERS" to generate the winners.

If the random generator number is used WITH ALL ENTRIES, RIGHT OR WRONG, then the odds of being a winner is not based on correct answers, but on number of total answers given, thereby diminishing the odds.

Congrats to the winners.

IPD_Mrs

Originally posted by great12b4ever

Sorry, but I still don't understand the method. In the January 1st trivia, Randy posted this:
All correct answers "postmarked" before noon will be placed in a hat and one winner selected every day. (actually, I'm going to use an electronic random number generator to select the winner.) The winner will be announced about

On this particular trivia, it was posted like this:
All correct answers "postmarked" before noon will be placed in a hat and one winner selected every day. The winner will be announced about

This seems to say that all corect answers are screened from the incorrect answers first, and, since a hat is not used, then the random number generator is used, "BASED ON THE NUMBER OF CORRECT ANSWERS" to generate the winners.

If the random generator number is used WITH ALL ENTRIES, RIGHT OR WRONG, then the odds of being a winner is not based on correct answers, but on number of total answers given, thereby diminishing the odds.

Congrats to the winners.

I don't think it diminishes the odds if there are a large number of incorrect answers - it simply means that the staff end up looking through a bunch more email before the get to a winner. If you have 50 submissions and the number generator spits out number 49 and that is the only incorrect answer it would have been tossed out either way, before or during thus making your odds 1 in 49 correct responses regardless of which point in the "game" it is removed. Is this a simplistic view or am I really missing something here?
**sorry for any grammatical or spelling errors it is AGAIN after 1am in the Kennedy Household!**

[:X] Mrs.

pssherman

Originally posted by MLKWoodWorking
I don't think it diminishes the odds if there are a large number of incorrect answers - it simply means that the staff end up looking through a bunch more email before the get to a winner. If you have 50 submissions and the number generator spits out number 49 and that is the only incorrect answer it would have been tossed out either way, before or during thus making your odds 1 in 49 correct responses regardless of which point in the "game" it is removed. Is this a simplistic view or am I really missing something here?
**sorry for any grammatical or spelling errors it is AGAIN after 1am in the Kennedy Household!**

[:X] Mrs.

It is simplistic, but it is also correct. The odds of being a winner is determined by the number of correct entries. It is true that the odds of being the first name drawn is lower, but there is also the possiblity of 3 or more names being selected before the winners are determined. So, the odds are the same either way. The way the triviameisters are doing it requires a lot less work since they only have to verify the selected names.

Paul in AR

Randy_

For once MRS got it right. [}:)]

Your odds of winning are "NOT" determined by the total number of entries; but rather by the total number of "CORRECT" entries. All incorrect entries are discarded and it really doesn't matter whether they are discarded as a group before the selection process starts or one at a time during the selection process. As I think Bruce mentioned earlier, using the RNG, saves a bunch of time for the TriviaMeister; because he doesn't have to read each and every entry, only the ones selected by the RNG.

In using the "hat" analogy, your answer has a smaller chance of being selected if all of the entries are in the hat; but it has a much larger chance of winning since wrong answers are discarded.

If anyone still has any reservations about the process, you can contact me privately and I will try to provide a more complete explanation. I don't mean to steal Bruce's thunder here; but since the selection process was of my choosing, I feel an obligation to be sure everyone understands it!!:D

Top Bottom