16 Pen Display case

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
Status
Not open for further replies.

William Young

I just finished making this display case complete with a clear plexiglass lid. I am surprised I was able to get the light just right without getting a glare from the shiny lid showing in the picture. I actually took that one indoors with a flash.
I will put this case full of pens at one of my display locations where I have all my scrollsaw clocks and numerous other items with a little notice explaining about hand crafted writing instruments and see what happens.
W.Y.

64322612.jpg

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

tipusnr

Well done. Could you possibly put up the dimensions you used so I can copy it? Don't have a display area for it yet but it's better than most of the commercial designs.

M

Mudder

Originally posted by tipusnr
<br />Well done. Could you possibly put up the dimensions you used so I can copy it? Don't have a display area for it yet but it's better than most of the commercial designs.

I second that. I would like to "borrow" your design. Perhaps you can write up a tutorial?

William Young

OK Guys guys ,.. I'm not much good at making up tutorials but here's some info that may be of some help. It is actually just basic carpentry and I used cheap rough sawn aspen for the main box and planed it down to 3/4" and stained it.
The box is 16" wide, 10" deep, 1 3/8" high at the front and 5.5" high at the back. The sloping shelf inside is inset 1" from the top all around . The shelf is 1/4" wood with 1/4" x 3/8" wood strips glued on at equal distance from each other and spaced just a little wider apart than the fattest pen (cigar pen) . The picture doesn't show it very well but there is also a vertical strip in the centre of the backer board and the left and right horizontal strips but up against it. Then I applied green flocking to the interior and fastened the clear 1/8" plexiglass lid on with three small brass hinges and drilled a hole in the bottom centre of the plexiglass to attach a small wood ball screwed on from the underside for a handle to lift the lid.
I used my jointer to make the rabbet for the plexiglass lid to sit level with the top edge of the box but a router would work easily as well for that.

Oh Yes,.. I have the pattern copywrited and I have 69 patents on the design but as long as we dont tell anyone about that, go ahead,.. make it identical or similar and I'll never tell. . . [:)][:D][:eek:)]
W.Y.

melogic

William,
I really like this display case. I think the green really makes your pens stand out. I think I'm going to try something like this from your dimensions also. Again, nice job.

knottyharry

Very nice Bill,
That is a nice looking display case.
I think the green looks good. Makes the pens stand out better.
One of these days maybe I'll be there with the rest of you.
Weather permitting maybe I'll get my lathe tomorrow.
Then the questions begin....
Harry

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom