14 - 16 Youth Pen Making Extravaganza Rules

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

mbroberg

IAP Activities Manager, Emeritus
Welcome to Summer Extravaganza, Youth Pen Contest for young turners 14 – 16 years old.

This contest is to let our young members and turners compete in a pen making competition within their own age group. This contest is for Ages 14 to 16.

Your age group is determined by your age on the start of the Summer Extravaganza, August 1, 2014.

Pens constructed from any commercially available* component set are allowed.
No laser work or cnc produced pens or parts are allowed.
Center bands and/or finials may be modified or eliminated. No other modifications to the commercial component set are allowed.

The entrants of this contest must be registered members of the IAP (membership is open to individuals 13 years old and over). The entrants to this contest may enlist the help of a parent or mentor to explain techniques and processes when necessary. Any demonstrations of techniques or procedures by the parent or mentor are to be performed on a separate blank. ALL WORK ON THE PEN TO BE ENTERED IS TO BE DONE BY THE ENTRANT. None of the work on the actual pen to be entered is to be performed by anyone other than the entrant.

Entries will be emailed to the contest chair at Mike@OhioPenworks.com and will include the following:
Complete name and mailing address of the youth entering the contest.

A paragraph or two describing the material used to create the pen, the turning experience of the youth, any problems encountered during the creation of the pen and the solutions that overcame them.

Up to three photos of the pen. If any photos of the entered pen are found to have been posted anywhere prior to August 1, 2014 the entry will be disqualified.

All pictures will be posted at the same time to have equal time in the spot light.

The contest will start on August 1, 2014 and entries will be due no later than August 18, 2014 at 11:59pm EST. Pictures will be posted and there will be two polls to determine 1st place. The first poll will determine the finalists by vote of the membership. Members will be asked to vote for up to, but for no more than, three entries. The 2nd poll will contain the photos of the five pens receiving the most voted in the first poll. In the event of a tie for 1st thru 5th place, that result in more than five photos receiving the five highest total number of votes, all photos within that group will be posted in the 2nd poll. Members will vote for one pen in the second poll.

Rules are subject to change for clarification or safety. In the event of a dispute over the rules the Contest Chair, the Activities Manager or Administrator will make the final determination as to the intent of the rule.

*"Commercially available" is defined as available for purchase by the general public prior to August 1, 2014.

Prizes

First Place - Snake skin blanks from Don Ward and $30 Gift certificate from Robutacion
Second Place - Snake skin blanks from Don Ward and leather cases and kits from Oldman5050
Third place -LIberty pen kit and Marla feather blank from Southern Clay

Last edited by a moderator:
Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

mbroberg

Just so everyone knows, I'll be traveling between the 31st and the 4th. I'll still log on to check up on things but may not be on as often as normal. That shouldn't effect the beginning of this contest. I am looking forward to what our young turners create!

mbroberg

As of now I have received NO entries in the 14 - 16 Youth Contest. Odds of winning are really good!

PointBlank

Better get started! Looking forward to entering my first contest, any prizes or just recognition?:)

mbroberg

Hey Gang, there will be some prizes for the winners of this contest!

Prizes

First Place - Snake skin blanks from Don Ward and $30 Gift certificate from Robutacion
Second Place - Snake skin blanks from Don Ward and leather cases and kits from Oldman5050
Third place -LIberty pen kit and Marla feather blank from Southern Clay

There are 2 short days left to get your entry in..........So far I have NONE! I know that we have some talented 14-16 year old members, I've seen their work. So carve out a couple of hours in the shop this weekend and make some fantastic pens!:biggrin::biggrin:

mbroberg

Today is the last day! Right now any one who enters has an excellent chance of winning because the turnout has been much less than we had hoped for. I hope my inbox fills up with entries today.

allisnut

Did this one close last night, or is it still open? My kids aren't old enough, but I tutored a friends son a few weeks ago.

allisnut

If there were less than three entries, the prizes could be used to recognize more winners in the under 14 contest. just a thought.

Top Bottom