10 Minutes To Better Pen Making - YouTube Videos

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

mg_dreyer

I have had the great pleasure of demoing for the AAW, Midwest Penturners Gathering, Turn-On Chicago!, and numerous local clubs. Most pen turning demos we focus on the glue up, turning, and general casting due to the fact we have to get it done in 60 to 90 minutes. I have started a series of videos with the initial focus on some of the unsung processes - like drilling, sanding, acrylic blank prep. Each video is about 10 minutes long (funny how the series is named that way).

Here are the videos:

Sanding Prep:

Drilling:

Acrylic Blank Prep:

I also have a full 100 minute video on the whole process:

So why am I posting here? I am looking for ideas on topics I can cover. I plan to ask friends to help me and even considering doing a guest video. Some of the videos I am considering:
  • Kits - Getting Started
  • Getting Started In Pen Making
  • Mandrels - Traditional to TBC
  • Blank Making
  • Assembly Tips
  • Top 10 Myths And Important Lessons Learned
Please let me know if there are other things you might like to see or if there is one listed above that I should move up. I thank Ed Brown for putting these videos in his email. I have gotten some great feed back from people.

Thanks in advance,
Mark

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

henry1164

As a new (less than a year) pen turner I'm always taking in information that will help be be better at this craft. I watched the first one on sanding and, from my point of view, it was very informative to the point that it confirmed that I am doing many things correctly but also gave me a couple of tips that will improve my skills. I will be watching the series. Thank you for taking the time to make these (and other) videos. Harry

leehljp

Member Liaison
I am not good at the video part but one thing I read often is the simplicity of some steps that are hard to grasp.

I like this idea of 10 minute videos.

What amazed me in the first attempt with TBC was - it was much simpler to set up and also quicker to check sizing than could be put in words. Bear in mind, only two people on this forum knew "about" TBC when I started and there were no instructions. I'm glad you are doing this along beside mandrels.

Checking measurements is something newbies often miss and shoot straight for getting to bushing size. I spent more time trying to get to bushing size while simultaneously trying not to touch the bushings than focusing on actual measurements. Calipers improved my finish 10 fold.

10 minutes - my kind of videos. THANKS!

monophoto

Mark

Let me suggest a standalone video on fountain pens. There are some unique considerations with FPs that deserve treatment - things like snap caps versus screw caps, cartridges and converters, and exactly what is a nibmeister and when is one needed.

I suggest not attempting to cover nib tuning in a 10 minute video, but there are some very good videos on that subject out that that you could reference (eg, Brian Goulet or Steven Brown).

wood128

Have you made any videos on segmented blank turning / construction ? I would be willing to help provide some construction info , pictures / description , etc. I like your approach to making the 10 minute video . However , I would agree that making a 10 minute video about segmented blank construction would be a challenge !! Maybe a three part video of 10 minutes each . Willing to help . Take care.
Joe

gimpy

Hey Mark, this is great, not only for the new comers, but for the novice as well
Following

mg_dreyer

Mark

Let me suggest a standalone video on fountain pens. There are some unique considerations with FPs that deserve treatment - things like snap caps versus screw caps, cartridges and converters, and exactly what is a nibmeister and when is one needed.

I suggest not attempting to cover nib tuning in a 10 minute video, but there are some very good videos on that subject out that that you could reference (eg, Brian Goulet or Steven Brown).

I like the idea of a fountain pen video. I can also include a minute or two of general refills. The fountain pen might be a couple parts. Thanks.

mg_dreyer

Have you made any videos on segmented blank turning / construction ? I would be willing to help provide some construction info , pictures / description , etc. I like your approach to making the 10 minute video . However , I would agree that making a 10 minute video about segmented blank construction would be a challenge !! Maybe a three part video of 10 minutes each . Willing to help . Take care.
Joe

I also like the idea of segmented blanks. I am no expert in that one - let's see what we can do about that together.

leehljp

Member Liaison
SEGMENTS Requests: Please remember that "segments" are not a 1, 2, 3, version option when requesting. This could get into overload REAL quick.

In addition, I doubt seriously that any of those below the first 2 or 3 could be done well in a 10 minute video. The problem is one of individual understanding of the concepts. Some people can look at a complex design and jump from A to Z without having a diagram. Yet others may need a detailed walk through and would get lost jumping from A to C. Take the Celtic know for example. It is not about the segment pieces per se, but the jigs needed to get the pieces - and the setting up of the TS or BS.

• Simple segments with two or three pieces glued together and turned (Cut a blank too short and added a contrasting piece.)

• Simple segments with two or three pieces separated with card stock or brass or aluminum.

• Segments length wise with aluminum or brass or other between.

• Segments with longitudinal stripes

• Giesi segments.

• Scalloped.

• Herringbone.

• Brick like.

• Celtic knot

• Multiple other forms.

Top Bottom