10 Minutes To Better Pen Making - Foolproof Wood Pens With Carbide Tools

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

mg_dreyer

Just another video I did. My technique for turning a wooden pen starting with a square carbide tool and then going into the round tool. Turn a perfect pen in a few minutes.

Click Here - YouTube Video

Thumbnail - 10 Minutes - Wood Pens.jpg

henry1164

Excellent presentation of this technique. I know it works as i somehow fell into doing a plunge cut with square carbide tool on my own a few months ago. As I watched Mark's presentation I thought I watching myself. It was a game changer for me on my wood pens. Mark hit two important points - sharp cutter and at the highest speed than can be obtained. As an amendment to Mark's process prior to sanding, I make a pass or two with a wide skew (as sharp as I can get it). These VERY LIGHT cuts produce only dust as a result of each pass. Using a wider/flat tool is a personal preference that gives me the ability to control the shape/line better than I can with the narrow width of the carbide cutter. At that point the blank is very smooth. I can then slow my lathe speed and start sanding (600 grit paper through about 1000 grit) and then CA/polish finish. Mark - this technique will make a lot of turners very happy with their ability to control pen shaping as well as how quickly one can get to the all important finishing steps!!!

mg_dreyer

Excellent presentation of this technique. I know it works as i somehow fell into doing a plunge cut with square carbide tool on my own a few months ago. As I watched Mark's presentation I thought I watching myself. It was a game changer for me on my wood pens. Mark hit two important points - sharp cutter and at the highest speed than can be obtained. As an amendment to Mark's process prior to sanding, I make a pass or two with a wide skew (as sharp as I can get it). These VERY LIGHT cuts produce only dust as a result of each pass. Using a wider/flat tool is a personal preference that gives me the ability to control the shape/line better than I can with the narrow width of the carbide cutter. At that point the blank is very smooth. I can then slow my lathe speed and start sanding (600 grit paper through about 1000 grit) and then CA/polish finish. Mark - this technique will make a lot of turners very happy with their ability to control pen shaping as well as how quickly one can get to the all important finishing steps!!!

Thanks for comments on the skew. Always look for people to help each other out. And thanks for watching.

Top Bottom