Zen with a bite! Thank you Seamus!!!

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from Brooks803

Brooks803

First of all I need to throw another HUGE thank you to Seamus for saving my butt! Colors I can do, snakeskins....not so much, YET! I had an order for a rattlesnake zen and tried more times than I'd like to share without making a usable blank. Time was running short on delivery so I threw a hail mary to Seamus for help and man did he deliver! Cast over the weekend, mailed on Monday, here today and now on a pen for delivery this weekend. I used a Black Ti kit since it went well with the colors of the skin. Finished to 12000 MM and polished with PlastX. Thanks for looking and for any comments made. Thanks again Seamus!

100_2894576x700.jpg
100_2899621x700.jpg
100_2906670x700.jpg

Gotta show the closeup:

100_2908700x688.jpg

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

EarlD

Beautiful pen, Jonathan. Fit and finish look great, as usual. Your photography is really good. I'm not there yet with mine.
Earl

Bobalu

Another winner on both of your parts. I bet you were a little apprehensive as you neared finished diameter. Not a lot of extra meat on the Zen.

Drstrangefart

Excellent! This just gave my brain an idea-baby! Any thoughts on printing up snakeskin decals to cast with made to look like a white snakeskin, and cast over it with translucent? Seems like it could work out, and I imagine it would be awesome.

BRobbins629

Passed Away Dec 28, 2021
In Memoriam

Drstrangefart

Excellent! This just gave my brain an idea-baby! Any thoughts on printing up snakeskin decals to cast with made to look like a white snakeskin, and cast over it with translucent? Seems like it could work out, and I imagine it would be awesome.
About 4 years ago...
http://www.penturners.org/forum/showthread.php?t=26623&highlight=Fake+snake

Yup. That's the core of the idea. I was thinking (And as I'm not casting yet it's just that) of white with green translucent cast over it. Or you could do larger print, red translucent and call it a dragon.

Great looking pen Jonathan! If I may ask what were the troubles you were having trying to cast one? I have yet to try and cast anything let alone snakeskin, but I have a kit waiting for me to start. Just wondering what I should avoid when trying.

Thanks,

Brooks803

Great looking pen Jonathan! If I may ask what were the troubles you were having trying to cast one? I have yet to try and cast anything let alone snakeskin, but I have a kit waiting for me to start. Just wondering what I should avoid when trying.

Thanks,

Each time I tried I made a different mistake, mainly because I got too focused on not repeating the previous one. One time I forgot to paint my tube prior to gluing the skin to the tube. Another time I didn't get a good glue seal and had air trappen between the tube and skin. Another I did everything right but had a couple bubbles in bad spots. The last time I had most of it right but made it all too thick and ended up turning into the skin and it was beyond a CA finish fix. I'm sure I'll find more ways to mess up, but for now I have a good backup system...named Seamus!

Thanks everyone for the kind words!

Top Bottom