Zen: "weak" magnet--- how to fix

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

redfishsc

I made a Zen this afternoon and was a bit disappointed to find that the magnetic cap did not seem to have the testosterone of the other Zen's I've made.

After fiddling with it for a moment, I suspected that the problem was the white insert that's on the inside of the cap that apparently centers the point as the cap closes. On a whim I used a Bic ballpoint pen to poke the white insert just a touch further in a few times until the cap closed with the expected "force".

Done and happy:D.
black_maroon_magtop.JPG

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

PenWorks

I have seen this on some of mine. When I just assembled a new pen, some seem weak, but after a day in the case, it gets really strong.
I do not think it is a problem. I have used mine daily as a kick around and have had no cap problems. I did manage to break (shater) the magnet inside while beating on the cap trying to take it apart. Broke into about 7 pieces. [:0]

redfishsc

Anthony, my wife is majoring in Biblical Counseling here at the Seminary, if you have some anger issues you are trying to work through, she might be able to help you before you destroy any more perfectly nice pens;).

I had to read you're post twice to get what you were talking about-- I had forgotten that you had disassembled a cap to make it longer for fountain nib. How many have you done like that?

randyrls

Originally posted by PenWorks

I have seen this on some of mine. When I just assembled a new pen, some seem weak, but after a day in the case, it gets really strong.
I do not think it is a problem. I have used mine daily as a kick around and have had no cap problems. I did manage to break (shater) the magnet inside while beating on the cap trying to take it apart. Broke into about 7 pieces. [:0]

Yep; These rare earth magnets are made of pressed (sintered) powders and are not strong mechanically. I epoxy these to the shaft end of chuck keys and stick the key to the tool. I have broken one by dropping it on a concrete floor.

redfishsc

Originally posted by PenWorks

Anthony, have you used any of the Chrome zens? I'm using two right now, a chrome and a black ti. The plating is not wearing off on either of them, but the chrome one has an insane amount of scratches on it compared to the black ti. It doesn't look "bad" per se, but it does show how much more durable the black ti is than the chrome. I do use them both pretty thoroughly, so the scratches are to be expected.

I have to admit, this is one of my favorite pens, scratches or not.

PenWorks

I have not used chrome personally. Mine is black Ti and looks good, some surface scratches if you look closely.
But again, I do not take very good care of this pen, It is an abused test pen, that takes a licking and keeps on ticking.

Thank for the offer on biblical counseling, but my angermagment is best left to the shooting range. :)

Jarheaded

"On a whim I used a Bic ballpoint pen to poke the white insert just a touch further "

Just goes to show, a bic is good for something after all. I'm still not going to let them into my house though.[}:)]:D

redfishsc

Originally posted by Jarheaded

"On a whim I used a Bic ballpoint pen to poke the white insert just a touch further "

Just goes to show, a bic is good for something after all. I'm still not going to let them into my house though.[}:)]:D

Jarhead, they are like friggin' ants-- they show up in numbers, unexpectedly, from places you know not where, at times you know not when. I gave up on exterminating them and started using them for various things, like mixing epoxy (when I don't have any shoddy Hauser rollerball cartridges laying around to mix epoxy with).

Top Bottom