Zen pen question

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Rmartin

I read a few good reviews from turners here at the IAP that I respect, so I bought some kits. I've made three so far. I reallly like the look, but I'm not so sure about the magnet. Maybe I got some weak magnets, I don't know. Has anyone had problems or complaints with the cap popping off too easily?

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

toddlajoie

I only have 2 complaints about the Zen.

The first is the usual "Gold Plating sucks". I bought several gold ones, and the one I carried around for a few weeks wore off in parts quickly, but I think most of us know this is not a Zen problem. The only Zen issue is no Gold Ti option. Black Ti is better, and Chrome looks better, but I have not purchased that one yet...

The magnets all seemed to hold just fine for me, but I was not thrilled with the way it tended to "grab" the tip of the pen when capping, due to the magnet being in a ring near the opening of the cap. I would LOVE it if they would put the magnet in the body, near where the cap comes to a close, but this would require 2 magnets, one for capping and one for posting, which would probably mean a price increase.

Lenny

I would think, just by the nature of how the magnetic cap works, this would be a real test for the Gold plated version. I have only done the Black Titanium version and I had a great time playing with the cap ..... right up until it sold. I thought the strength of the magnet on mine was just about right.

Jim Smith

LIke others, I've only made the black titanium plated kits, but I really like them. The magnets have been plenty strong and in fact, I suspect it may have messed up a memory stick when I accidently placed the pen right next to it on my desk. The magnet grabbed the metal clip on the memory stick and I started have some file retreival problems after that:rolleyes: Overall, a very nice kit that sells fairly well and write very nicely.

Jim Smith

el_d

I Have had a problem with the magnets being too high up in the cap. I just pulled it down some.
Are all the magnets in the caps the same place on the kits you bought?

Rmartin

I Have had a problem with the magnets being too high up in the cap. I just pulled it down some.

That's a good question. I didn't know they could be moved about. I will take a closer look tomorrow, thanks.

aggromere

there is a kit that is just like the zen called the grand torino. It doesn't use magnets instead it is a screw on cap.

Mark

Inspect the cap a bit closer. The Gold one I tore apart (to see how it all fit and worked) has a white plastic sleeve which keeps the magnet from moving away from the rim of the cap. The magnet is the first thing you should encounter when capping or posting.

I had the cap come off once. I use a Zen as my daily driver. I suppose I've learned to handle it a little differently, that any other pen. I've not had it come loose at all since that first day I carried it. Going on 6 months now and the Gold is holding up fine to daily use. I have a Chrome and a Black TN, but they are (dress) pens. I only abuse the Gold one. :biggrin:

Parson

The stretch is also not magnetic but screw top... but +1 on buying them. Not cheap, but certainly worth the investment.

Don't forget that Zen pens use really strong "earth" magnets (what makes them so freakin' rare is beyond me when you can get as many as you like!) and leaving one on top of a smartphone or laptop for a long period of time can erase data.

My beef with the Zen kits from CSUSA (as of late) is that all the magnet rings in the caps come out and do not remain glued in place. I guess they got a bad batch from China. I have to glue them back in and let them dry for a long time before I can use them.

Mark

My beef with the Zen kits from CSUSA (as of late) is that all the magnet rings in the caps come out and do not remain glued in place. I guess they got a bad batch from China. I have to glue them back in and let them dry for a long time before I can use them.

Good to know. I ordered another 50. Hopefully not part of the (bad) batch.

They should be here in a week or so...:frown:

moke

I have been buying the Gran Torino version of the Zen from AS. It is a more but seems to really be a quality kit. It only comes in chrome though....which I am good with.
Mike

ldb2000

I have been buying the Gran Torino version of the Zen from AS. It is a more but seems to really be a quality kit. It only comes in chrome though....which I am good with.
Mike

Again if you want the better platings , instead of the Gran Torino get the Stretch from Aaron Lau at the web site I gave above .

Top Bottom