Zebrawood bias cut

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

larryc

I've got a slab of zebrawood left over from a flatboard project and want to make some bias cut pen blanks from it.
I don't have enough to do a lot of experimenting so I'm asking those who have experience in bias cutting what angle provides the most interesting results?

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

its_virgil

Here are 3 pens made from straight cut, 45 x-cut and 90 x-cut. Maybe this will help you decide.
Do a good turn daily!
Don
I've got a slab of zebrawood left over from a flatboard project and want to make some bias cut pen blanks from it.
I don't have enough to do a lot of experimenting so I'm asking those who have experience in bias cutting what angle provides the most interesting results?

Attachments

• zebra 024.CRW.jpg
    zebra 024.CRW.jpg
    86.2 KB · Views: 140

jaywood1207

I think a lot depends how close together the stripes are. I have a piece I've been workng on and cutting blanks off that the stripes are really tight and I cut it at 45 degrees. If you had wide stripes and cut 45 degrees you don't get as much visual impact in my opinion.

its_virgil

The three pens in my post were actually cut from the same board....from the same 12" piece of that board. The tightness of the dark stripes will have an effect on the final appearance of the blanks. The dark stripes in the board I used for the three pens were about 1" or more apart.
Do a good turn daily!
Don

Top Bottom