• Snakewood

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Other - Please Reply

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

opfoto

I have limited experience with a few of the mentioned woods as far as turning goes but, I like alot of the BOW pens that have been shown here recently.

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

mapletree

Was interesting to read about the pen made out of treated lumber. Have made some like that and people have a hard time believing what it is. My favorite is spalded maple that I gather while cutting firewood. Dry it in a microwave. Always makes for an iteresting story that it was salvaged out of the cookstove wood pile. Of course I spend to much time inspecting wood when I should be cutting. People wonder why it takes me so long to get a load of wood.

J. Fred Muggs

I was just counting up the other day, and as best I can recollect, I've turned about 125 different woods to date. The only one I don't like is wenge. I love olivewood, pink ivory, ebony, almost all the burls, afzelia, koa, blackwood, holly, tambootie, and on and on. But, if I have to pick one, Snakewood wins hands down.

mik

The Orchard, Milton Lane, Wookey Hole, Somerset, U
I just love wood! But having moved to Greece and a particular area - the Pelopennese, perhaps I need to justify it![:D]

On my travels around the globe, of course looking for the "holy grail" in olive wood I decided wild Greek was unbeaten. The trees here average 600yrs old and go on till well into they are over 1,000yrs old!
In Greece for a start the olive from Crete is too well farmed and old stocks have dwindled, result the wood has less figuring and tends to be very dark, in Corfu the weather and soil plays it part and the wood is more blond, just move a little East and Albanian olive is positively pale with a lot of pink!
Italian olive well they put it in pizza ovens! [}:)]
Israel olive is very good but not wild enough for me!
Spanish olive well over cultivated and perhaps has lost it's soul. [xx(]
French is good but they buy wild Greek olive off me! [8D]
Australian well quite frankly just a baby in diapers but has great potential! [8D]
American, young but has some style as already mentined above. [:p]
By the way China is trying to mass produce it!?[:(]

There is more but I fear I may bore you[:)]

Tom McMillan

Hey---Just ask Lou, Mike---You cannot bore me with anything about "OLIVEWOOD"---Great to know there's more than one of us Olivewood connoisseurs around. Wish I had the opportunity to see all the ones you've had the opportunity to see---gotta love it!!!!!

Rifleman1776

Anything with figure and free. Actually, it is usually the last kind I turned. Last week it was cocobolo, then sugar berry, then my most recent pen was afzelia burl. Of course olive is always right up there. Decisions, decisions.... That's an 'other' vote.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom