You will fall off your chair, I promise.

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from CharlesH

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Spats139

Just to add to what others have already said... awsome! I don't think anyone else on this site posts pen photos where the finishes consistently show as much depth and brilliance as yours. Always a pleasure to view.

kinggabby

Glad I was strapped in bed or I might have fallen to the floor . Really nice wood and nice kit to pair up with it. it is truly awescome. Thank you for sharing. Mommy is lucky.

MartinPens

I have a serious case of wood envy.

It really makes the pen pop when you mask the photo and make everything else blury and grey - are you using photoshop? Very interesting.
I looked through the thread - I didn't see any story about how you came about this wood. Did I miss it or are you just holding out. If I missed it I'm going to feel like an idiot.
Thanks for the pics.
Martin

wizard

It would be an understatement to say that is a gorgeous piece of wood. Truly out of this world! And you made a stunning pen from it with a finish and photos to match. Thanks for showing! Regards, Doc

RHossack

Outstanding!

I've never turned that type of wood nor have I ever seen any ... BUT I've been using google for a while trying to locate some that looks half as good as that.

CharlesH

Hey Martin,

I use Photoshop, basically I select the pen, refine the edge, do a inverse selection and remove the saturation of the background then I go with a gaussian blur, best way to make a nice photo when you have a 200$ bucks camera without a tripod. :p

Regarding the afzelia burl... not many blanks have the awesome coloring, the black and yellow coloring occurs on the edge of the burl. I also believe it is related with mineral staining but don't quote me on this.

Afzelia is by far my favorite wood and during my short wood working experience I seen a few passing by. Lately I have been lucky and I bought some afzelia from this guy on eBay: http://myworld.ebay.com/exotic-wood-n-burls. He has some nice afzelia.

The secret in finding awesome wood pieces is to ask, ask sellers. Many have awesome stock they don't list but if you ask and you share the passion regarding woodworking they will most likely pull out the private stash pieces. :):):)

I currently have one slab which I am not cutting for any mean, look if you dare:

And I do have another one coming which I won't state where it's from!!! :)

Hope that helps and if I have some blanks I will surely contact you,

Charles

I have a serious case of wood envy.

It really makes the pen pop when you mask the photo and make everything else blury and grey - are you using photoshop? Very interesting.
I looked through the thread - I didn't see any story about how you came about this wood. Did I miss it or are you just holding out. If I missed it I'm going to feel like an idiot.
Thanks for the pics.
Martin

MartinPens

CharlesH said:
Hey Martin,

I use Photoshop, basically I select the pen, refine the edge, do a inverse selection and remove the saturation of the background then I go with a gaussian blur, best way to make a nice photo when you have a 200$ bucks camera without a tripod. :p

I have two degrees which currently do not earn me any money - music & graphic design technology. They both cost a lot of money, but they definitely enrich my life. I've also worked as a photographer. So I enjoyed your photo technique and was pretty on the dot in thinking how you went about it. I came in second place in the 7th Anniversary logo runoff. It was almost my design plastered on the mugs! But I sure do love the mugs and the design that won. Anyhow, enough of my narcissistic babbling. I'll be keeping my eye out for some of that Afzelia.

Martin

Sent from my iPad using Forum Runner

CharlesH

Creativity solves problems and create value.

From a business point of view I cannot find anything more important! So that money was well invested my friend. :)

From your trained eye, you probably saw I just make simple photography and my perspective is to concentrate on what is important, the beauty of the wood.

This is why I usually concentrate on single tube pens. Going simple but doing it well. It is really easy to make a beautiful pen when you have such rare wood.

On the other end if you take a more common wood and your able to make it look like an expansive cigar by using clever modification and showing your work with nice photography, this has more value to me! ;)

Good luck with the afzelia hunting and if I see some I'll PM you. ;)

Charles

MartinPens said:
I have two degrees which currently do not earn me any money - music & graphic design technology. They both cost a lot of money, but they definitely enrich my life. I've also worked as a photographer. So I enjoyed your photo technique and was pretty on the dot in thinking how you went about it. I came in second place in the 7th Anniversary logo runoff. It was almost my design plastered on the mugs! But I sure do love the mugs and the design that won. Anyhow, enough of my narcissistic babbling. I'll be keeping my eye out for some of that Afzelia.

Martin

Sent from my iPad using Forum Runner

Sent from my iTouch.

Kaspar

That is an amazing piece of wood. At first, I thought it must be dyed. Just incredible. Afzelia is a favorite of mine too.

Stunning job on finish, and the choice of kit makes it complete. When nothing else will do, the Statesman Jr. will never let you down.

Top Bottom