You liked the last one, so here is another

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from sbanen

sbanen

This is a cool desk that I built in 1991 and then again for a few more customers in 2003 and 2004. The top has a tourtise shell pattern carved in it, then it was gold leafed, antiqued, sprayed with candy apple red lacquer and poured with epoxy. Modesty panel is 1/4" aluminum and is the structural element that keeps the top from sagging. I used an angle grinder to carve a beautiful "hammered" finish in it.The overall length of the desk is 9' and the large end is 48" in diameter. The drawer cabinet is all bent, laminated 1/8" plywood with rosewood veneer.

Attachments

• GM015-Web.jpg
    GM015-Web.jpg
    182.9 KB · Views: 326
  • GM007-Web.jpg
    GM007-Web.jpg
    139.6 KB · Views: 313
Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

sbanen

Well I don't have a closeup photo to post, but in short, by holding the grinder at an angle, you can quickly grind small dimples into the surface. With practice you can get them uniform in shape and size and make a controled pattern. I have already told you guys 98% more than i would have revealed about the process 20 years ago. Back then, if told you this much, I would have had to shoot you.

76winger

That's just unbelievably awesome. I love the blend of textures and colors. Definitely something to build a whole room around rather than the other way around.

sbanen

Actually, an entire retail jewelry store was built around one of them and I designed and built all that as well.

Attachments

• 107_0705.JPG
    107_0705.JPG
    91.1 KB · Views: 171
  • 107_0704.JPG
    107_0704.JPG
    81.5 KB · Views: 223

robutacion

This is a cool desk that I built in 1991 and then again for a few more customers in 2003 and 2004. The top has a tourtise shell pattern carved in it, then it was gold leafed, antiqued, sprayed with candy apple red lacquer and poured with epoxy. Modesty panel is 1/4" aluminum and is the structural element that keeps the top from sagging. I used an angle grinder to carve a beautiful "hammered" finish in it.The overall length of the desk is 9' and the large end is 48" in diameter. The drawer cabinet is all bent, laminated 1/8" plywood with rosewood veneer.

As an ex-cabinet maker, I know what is involved with such a piece and with all due respect to everyone, the hands that produced just a magnificent and modern piece, will be able to make the most difficult pen there is but, and I'm sorry folks, there are not many great pen makers that have the capability to produce such a piece, there is the best craftsmanship, creativity and attention to detail, one can achieve...!

Well done mate...!
For a piece made 20 years ago, that was a type of sophistication that was well within a hight society elite...!

PS: I just remembered that, I should have pics of a simple (too look at) but unusual desk that I create using common materials, when I was in the NT in 1994. This thing had articulated tops that would swing out creating more/less working area and desk appearance. I haven't seen these photos (old paper type) for about 15 years, I hope that I can find them and show what this desk looked like...!

Cheers
George

robutacion

I found them...!:wink:

The old pics are starting to get all yellow(ish) so I may have to scan them into the computer, as I already done with hundreds of other old pics...!:frown:

I didn't know that the desk was part of a shop fit-up but, seeing the other pics you just posted, it all makes sense and certainly, within the high society level of things as these shops normally are...!

My pics are not here to compare anything nor to take credits from anyone, the desk from the OP, was what brought this old shot fit-up I done many years ago, nothing more...!

Materials and colours where a shop owner specification, execution and fitting was mine...!

Attachments

• 002.jpg
    002.jpg
    35 KB · Views: 97
  • 003.jpg
    003.jpg
    42.2 KB · Views: 79
  • 004.jpg
    004.jpg
    47.1 KB · Views: 84
  • 005.jpg
    005.jpg
    51.6 KB · Views: 103
  • 006.jpg
    006.jpg
    43.2 KB · Views: 88
  • 007.jpg
    007.jpg
    51.4 KB · Views: 84

sbanen

Very cool, George. I can see there was a lot of detail in that job.

Back in the late 80's when I first started building one-of-a-kind contemporary furniture, I found an Australian design magazine and discovered that Architecture was very forward thinking in your part of the world, much to my surprise. Since that time, I frequently look to Australia to see the fresh designs.

Top Bottom