You know what I would like to see in this forum?

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

okiebugg

Opinions, tutorials, how to do something. We all do this, throwing opinions out and respondents asking for more information or how do you do this part?

I don't know how it would be handled, maybe another sticky or complete thread about how someone who used a technique seen on here and commenting on how well it worked for him/her in a positive way? Also, did they modify the info read in the opinion to suit their needs? I am not a real liker or user of the "Thanks" button. This could be an opportunity for meeting new turners, or having private conversations perhaps over the phone to compare the opinion and what the second party did or did not do to make it work.

This way, we could all get feedback on opinions good/bad IN A CHEERFUL UPBEAT KIND OF WAY.

Discuss

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Texatdurango

Jim, I for one am all about sharing ideas, getting opinions and offering advice when asked but am not sure I understand the jest of your post.

I've done a few tutorials and usually will start them out as a post with all the text and photos and ask for discussion, suggestions or ideas. After a few days, if no one has any ideas or additional thoughts I contact the librarian to convert the post into a .PDF file and put in the library.

To be honest though, after doing this several times, rarely does anyone chime in wanting to add anything and seldom do they want to discuss alternatives. Perhaps they might feel like they are knocking the tutorial if they mention alternatives and I think that may be what you are seeing as missing. Am I close?

skiprat

Passed Away Mar 22, 2022
In Memoriam
Jim, I for one am all about sharing ideas, getting opinions and offering advice when asked but am not sure I understand the jest of your post.

I've done a few tutorials and usually will start them out as a post with all the text and photos and ask for discussion, suggestions or ideas. After a few days, if no one has any ideas or additional thoughts I contact the librarian to convert the post into a .PDF file and put in the library.

To be honest though, after doing this several times, rarely does anyone chime in wanting to add anything and seldom do they want to discuss alternatives. Perhaps they might feel like they are knocking the tutorial if they mention alternatives and I think that may be what you are seeing as missing. Am I close?

George, I'm not sure if you are close or not either. I'm afraid I couldn't understand the OP either. But I completely agree with your sentiment re tutorials.

Mark

I use the Library a lot.

I'm not necessarily stealing someone's hard earned idea, but the tutorials in there, get me thinking that there is more than one way to skin a cat. Kudos, to all those that have contributed to the library. Great info stored there... Thank you!

Texatdurango

I use the Library a lot.

I'm not necessarily stealing someone's hard earned idea, but the tutorials in there, get me thinking that there is more than one way to skin a cat. Kudos, to all those that have contributed to the library. Great info stored there... Thank you!

The way I see it, if someone does a tutorial and you copy the idea or process you are not stealing anything, that's what the tutorial is all about.

Personally I try to invoke a little thinking from the reader rather than give very specific step by step detailed instructions. It's more fun that way!

okiebugg

sharing opinions

The gist of what I'm asking is this: If I use a tutorial or an opinion that you posted, I'd like to be able to share with you how I used it and how good it turned out for me. Perhaps you would have other pearls to add about refining just how you use this or that. I by no means want to talk in this forum about how I stole someones idea and used it for myself after perhaps modifying what I gleaned from your post.

The reason for this forum is to share ideas and further the art of woodturning thus adding to our ranks in many instances. When I was a pup learning, we had no internet and the only way I did something was to experiment. Experimentation is a way that all of us 'create' new ways of doing things. I by no means mean to cut out figgering how to do stuff. I tried for instance melting Plexiglas to do plexifinish. It worked well for me and still does for certain things. I simply would have liked to thank the man/woman for allowing me to use their expertise and do they have any other tips. Alternatives would be from the man/woman who suggested doing this or that----not for the person who used the idea. Keeping everything friendly and complimenting and thanking the person for allowing me to share. Jim

navycop

I am a fairly new turner and I have never written a tutorial. I get what he is sayings. Sometimes people write on here and think we are all rocket scientist. They use words or discriptions that I don't understand. Pictures would be nice. Not really a play-by-play, but just maybe some to clarify. I could PM every person that mentioned a technique, jig, project, etc on here but they would get tried of me clogging up thier inbox.
(I wrote this the same time okiebugg was posting his).

Last edited:

Woodlvr

I do not understand why you area attacking something as silly as the "Thanks" button? If you do not like something just ignore it. I see some posts and feel that they are a positive input for the subject being discussed and I say "Thank You" for their input. What is wrong with that? Am I missing your point, which would be easy for me to do? I personally have layed way back and stayed away because of all the bickering at times, I feel that there are too many people trying to be chiefs and not enough indians.

Last edited:

sbell111

I do not understand why you area attacking something as silly as the "Thanks" button? If you do not like something just ignore it. I see some posts and feel that they are a positive input for the subject being discussed and I say "Thank You" for their input. What is wrong with that? Am I missing your point, which would be easy for me to do? I personally have layed way back and stayed away because of all the bickering at times, I feel that there are too many people trying to be chiefs and not enough indians.

Is that what this thread is about? If so, then I completely agree with you. I don't see any reason to get upset by the inclusion of the 'thanks' button. If anything, it will make threads easier to read and respond to because '+1' and 'I agree' posts will no longer be necessary. This will leave more meat on those posts that are actually wanting to discuss the issue, rather than simply agreeing with what has already been stated.

okiebugg

I'm impressed

What a really good bunch of nice people. Do any of you go back and read what you type?? Those of you who responded negatively to an idea from someone other than your thinking should be ashamed of yourselves with the exception of one.

okiebugg

Navy Cop

I am a fairly new turner and I have never written a tutorial. I get what he is sayings. Sometimes people write on here and think we are all rocket scientist. They use words or discriptions that I don't understand. Pictures would be nice. Not really a play-by-play, but just maybe some to clarify. I could PM every person that mentioned a technique, jig, project, etc on here but they would get tried of me clogging up thier inbox.
(I wrote this the same time okiebugg was posting his).

By Navy Cop, do you mean shore patrol? I in my 35 year career as a Marine, I've whipped a few SP's. I was of course always inebriated and didn't ever consider that where there was one, there were many. What ever fight I won, I also lost.

I have been turning for close to 50 years. I even had a lathe with me in a combat zone and used it frequently. (I'm hijacking my own thread)

As a newish turner, I would be more that glad to ask any questions that you have. I don't know everything, but I've been there and done that. call me (404 227 5059) PM me, or Email

okiebugg200@cox.net

I offer this because you're Military and a distant cousin having taxied me arouns so I could fight.

sbell111

What a really good bunch of nice people. Do any of you go back and read what you type?? Those of you who responded negatively to an idea from someone other than your thinking should be ashamed of yourselves with the exception of one.
I bet that no one believes that he isn't "the one". :)

Top Bottom