You guys missed out!

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
Status
Not open for further replies.

dubdrvrkev

I spent the weekend at the Desert Woodturning Roundup and it was great. At $125 it was a bargain. Here are a few highlights, sorry about the pics.

This is a Dale Nish box, I sat in on his class on how to do the inlaid lids.
20062201510_Dale%20Nish%20box.jpg

Mike Mahoney and Stuart Batty doing the dueling lathes.
20062201612_dueling%20lathes.jpg

This is during Mike's Heirloom kitchenware class. (PS. If you have Mike over for dinner, you better serve him on wooden plates.)
2006220173_Mike_bowl.jpg

This was Stuarts thin stem goblet, yes its very thin.
20062201851_stuart-goblet.jpg

This one is for Mike (Vick), a new type of chess set for you to make.
200622011134_chess-set.jpg

In all I sat in on 6 classes (7 if you include the dueling lathes), had 2 gourmet meals (included in the price), met some very nice folks, and the vendors didn't get me for too much $$. It was great!
I was the camera operator for Mike Mahoney in his burial urn class. I had the best seat in the house.
Mike and Stuart are very entertaining in their classes, and even more in the dueling lathes, where mike turned a bowl that you could see light through.
I also got to meet our very own Bill B. from AS, he was fairly busy so I didn't get to talk much though, nice guy none-the-less.
Start planning now for next year, you won't be sorry. I hear that David Ellsworth and Trent Bosch have already committed for it.

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

vick

Sorry I missed it I got to spend the day at the zoo with a 10 months old, two 3 year olds and a nine year old.
Drop off the chess set when ever you get a chance[:D]

Johnathan

That chess set is amazing!

Vick, I bet the whole time you were looking at all the exotic animals, you were thinking about exotic woods!

Does sounds like a fun weekend. [^]

wayneis

I saw Stuart and his Father doing the dueling lathe bit and it was great fun. I wish that I could get to more classes, I was at the Utah Woodturners group and had a blast.

Wayne

Dario

Sure! Rub it in!!! [:D][}:)] Some guys have all the luck. [;)]

That goblet is amazing!...not that I like the shape but the technical aspect of making it that thin and long!

dubdrvrkev

I tell you guys, if you have the chance, go to a symposium. I saw some amazing work, and some so far out there I can't imagine getting to it. I went to a class on segmenting and it was cool but a lot of work. There was no way to see all you wanted to.
I'm a little biased to this one since it is my first and in (near) my town, but the cost was pretty minimal compared to other symposiums and the meals that were include would have cost most of the admition price in a resturant. We had tri tip steaks for lunch one day and cornish game hens for dinner that night. The next day was sandwiches for lunch but good ones none-the-less. I talked to so many people that made it a week vacation with their family to escape the cold. A lot of us locals were wearing jackets while the other people were in t-shirts.
I will be going next with out a doubt.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom