Yet another simple design

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from Brooks803

Brooks803

Love making these! I think they look so much better than the stock centerband. The blank is of my own creation. Finish is MM to 12000 and plastX polish. Thanks for looking!

Attachments

• 100_0119.jpg
    100_0119.jpg
    22.2 KB · Views: 382
  • 100_0121.jpg
    100_0121.jpg
    22 KB · Views: 245
Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

OOPS

Wow! That is really impressive. I like the color of the blank, and you are right-- the center band is outstanding and much better than stock. I am still trying to figure out how you got that tiny blue accent line through the middle of the center band. Thanks for posting this photo.

LeeR

I assume that is not a centerband, rather, the upper blank is longer, and segmented, right? If not, it certainly fits well.

Would be interested to know more about the material used.

Nice color, and style.

Last edited:

atsowers

Very nice pen! Your choice of centerband materials/design really makes this one stand out from the crowd...

--Andy

aggromere

That is a very beautiful pen. I prefer simple well proportioned lines and I love the blank. Good job.

PaulDoug

That is an exceptional pen in all respects in my opinion. Just plain pretty. Nice work. Now that you have the band perfected, have you tried turning the nib and finial yet? That is fun also.

Brooks803

Wow! That is really impressive. I like the color of the blank, and you are right-- the center band is outstanding and much better than stock. I am still trying to figure out how you got that tiny blue accent line through the middle of the center band. Thanks for posting this photo.

I assume that is not a centerband, rather, the upper blank is longer, and segmented, right? If not, it certainly fits well.

Would be interested to know more about the material used.

Nice color, and style.

The centerband is segmented on there prior to turning. Lee, the material is one of my home made PR castings. The thin blue piece is the same as the rest of the pen. I used some leftover pearl white PR from another pen to make the rest of the centerband.

Nice detail work on the cb replacement. I am still trying to figure out a good method to cut very narrow pieces and keep them square.

Thanks John, my method is pretty straightforward. Since I'm now using cast round stock everything is already the same diameter so I use my 1/8" parting tool to cut off each thin segment, but I don't completely cut it off with it. Instead I use one of those hobby pull saws you get with those small mitre boxes to part it all the way off since it'll fit in very small spaces. Then I lay a sheet of 120grit sandpaper on a flat surface and sand each side of PR by hand to get them flush. Be sure to do this with EVERY piece of the upper barrel not just the centerband pieces. That way when you go to clamp everything together after using thick CA it will stay flush and not want to wander off while you tighten the clamp. Hope that helps some!

Also, Thank You to everyone for the kind words! I'm very pleased with this one myself.

Brooks803

That is an exceptional pen in all respects in my opinion. Just plain pretty. Nice work. Now that you have the band perfected, have you tried turning the nib and finial yet? That is fun also.

Funny you mentioned that. It's actually my project for today. Although I'm thinking closed end/hidden clip instead of turning the finial. Might have to give the nib a try while I'm at it!

Brooks803

Beautiful pen,very simple, yet classy and distinctive
How do you manage to get the centreband to overlap?

Thanks Martin! The overlap is actually an optical illusion. After I turned the upper barrel I hand sanded the end of the centerband to a nice shine and I think thats what makes it look like there's an overlap. I have cut in a recess to make an actual overlap, but this way I don't worry about the ends being too weak and could chip. Here's one I did where I cut a recess:
http://www.penturners.org/photos/index.php?n=16295

Attachments

• 102_9963.jpg
    102_9963.jpg
    21.4 KB · Views: 92
Top Bottom