Yesterday's Find

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Loucurr

look what I found at the flea market yesterday!!!
Only $1 :cool:

Now...any suggestions or information on how to cut this up into blanks?

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    145.4 KB · Views: 194
Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

randyrls

I have made the tips into a cartridge pen with the tip of the antler being the top of the pen.

Try to get some of the surface (bark) included so it shows up on the outside of the pen.

MTViper

I heard you can cut it in lengths and soak it in boiling water and straighten it out. Once the pieces dry straight, you can cut and drill them easier. I've used a bandsaw to cut them. Definitely use a respirator, nasty things in the dust.

jttheclockman

Just an extra note of safety which I do not see given very often. people remind us to use a respirator which is a great thing and highly recommended. Now if you are using a throw away nuisance dust mask, make sure you throw it away after cutting and working with it. Not only this material but any other material that can be toxic. Also clean the work area of the dust preferably using a hepa filter or a dust collector that catches fine particles. Also do not wash your clothes together with other laundry. Do not carry the dust from shop to other parts of the house. Just because you used a dust mask and kept from breathing the dust in directly it is the residual dust that can be just as harmful so precautions need to be taken. just a friendly reminder. Be safe and work happy.:)

TimS124

I cut antler either at my bandsaw (with dust collection running) or with a hand saw (cheap modern dozuki usually).

I lay the pen tubes against the antler section(s) I think I want to use to see if the antler is straight enough and wide enough for each tube.

Every tube is held in at least two positions...the second position is 90 degrees from the first one (rotate the antler 90 degrees). Antler curves and flows in multiple axes so it's important to check that your tube fits from multiple directions.

I love the tips for letter openers, bottle openers, iPad styluses, etc.

Dust collection is critical (as others have mentioned).

stuckinohio

Cutting is easy. Drilling is the tricky part. I drill between centers on the lathe, with the drill chuck/bit on drive side and live center on the tail stock. That way you can see exactly where you're drilling through the antler.

Go slow at slow speed and hold with pliers.

Top Bottom