Yellow cedar burl

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from bossef

bossef

Hi, here my submission to the Intermediate Beautiful Pen Contest that didn't make it to the final... :crying: It my first participation to a contest. I was surprise to see that no strait wood pen maid it to the final... Lesson lean for next year I guest! :smile-big:

Its a Helix pen kit dressed with some Yellow cedar burl. CA finish: 6 thin 12 medium. Wet sand with micro mesh and buff with car polish and a dremel.

Thanks for looking!

pen1.jpg

pen2.jpg

pen3.jpg

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
I think your pen does belong with the others, I loved it and was wondering what wood it was, I MUST HAVE SOME!!. and yes your photography skills are awesome.

reiddog1

Nice piece of timber and you did it justice my friend. Where does someone get the Helix pen kit? Thanks in advance.

Dave

plantman

This is realy a beautiful pen, and great photos. Looking at it closely, however, if I were a judge or voteing on it in the finals, I would be concerned about the fit. The wood does not meet the center band, and the ends are a little proud on fit. Allthough the judging was done by photos, it can be clearly seen. If it were a hands on judgeing, the first thing they would do is run their fingers down the pen to feel if there was any unevenness in the joints. This is the first thing my wife does when I show her a new pen I have made. If it doesn't feel right, she lets me know. As you may notice a lot of the comments people will get is about fit and finish. I think that this may have been the drawback on your entry. Something to work on next time. I am just trying to make you aware of what people look, or feel, for in a pen. It must feel smooth to the hand. Keep up the great work. A lot of people are kind and don't want to offend by pointing out something that may need a little tweeking. When this happens you can't move forward and improve your craft. So take any C&C as a help and not a hinderance. I love the grains and finished looks of the pen. Jim S

bossef

@SerenityWoodWorks: Its not easy to get this wood... PM me if you want some and I will ask me contact if he allow me to give his reference...

@reiddog1: I get this kit from: William Wood-Write Ltd.

@plantman: Thanks for your comments its really appreciated! Just to clarify, I was not saying that I deserve to be in the final. :) I'm new to pen turning and I'm still learning about what is trendy, the community and all!

Regards

Last edited:

lorbay

Nice job on the burl. I have about 40 lbs of this coming up for sale in the near future. Just havent had time to cut it up.

Lin.

Jjartwood

It is very frustrating that more people don't have an appreciation for nice wood.
I find at the shows that "true pen people" like wood everyone else wants plastic,
I've had one of the promoters that I work with go as far as to say "make more green pens because that's the color this year" What??
In the non-penmaking world your pen is beautiful,in the penmaking world your pen is beautiful but... either way your pen is beautiful nice job.
Mark

plantman

@SerenityWoodWorks: Its not easy to get this wood... PM me if you want some and I will ask me contact if he allow me to give his reference...

@reiddog1: I get this kit from: William Wood-Write Ltd.

@plantman: Thanks for your comments its really appreciated! Just to clarify, I was not saying that I deserve to be in the final. :) I'm new to pen turning and I'm still learning about what is trendy, the community and all!

Regards

:rolleyes::rolleyes: I think everyone who enters these contests believes their pen should be in the finals, or they would not have entered it to begin with. If you don't make the finals, then you must look at those that did, and see what they have done to get there. Don't just rush through the photos, bring each one up on the screen, inlarge it as much as you can, and study it from one end to the other. Go on to the next one. After you go through all of them, start over. You will be surprized what you will pick up after the second or third time studying the photos. There will be things there that you never noticed the first couple of times. Keep a notebook near by and write down what you see different an what you like or dislike. You can always go back and bring up the photos at a later date when you are making next years entry. On a little different slant, you may have a different group of judges next year, or the trend may go back to natural materials for pen making. I agree with the people commenting on your pen. It is beautiful to look at. You have mastered one of the most difficult parts of pen making, taking photos that compliment your pen and show it off in all of it's glory !!! Jim S

Last edited:

Russknan

Despite the impossibly long odds of my ever becoming a judge - next year or after - perhaps I should study construction like that. Feel free to send it to me . . . for the common good, of course! Russ

Top Bottom