Years ago

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

jttheclockman

Whenever I log onto this site I get here via the Home Page. This way I get to see the hot current topics real quick and also check the New Posts. But one thing I always do is check out the Random Photos at the left of the screen. Sometimes i get to see a pen that brought back memoreies from when it was shown and maybe even the artist. I have mentioned this in the past that some of the finest pens get lost and not seen again here. Well this was the case of this pen. I had not seen this pen in years but it was in the back of my feeble mind somewhere and when I saw it it brought back memories. I think more people should check out some of the past pen photos. There are various ways of doing this but checking out the Random Photos on the front page is a good start. Some really talented artists passed through these pages over the years.

The pen took on a discussion because it was unique and the technique was not seen here before. Roy Quast made the pen and made a couple versions of it and each one is unique. He went on to write a tutorial on how he did it but from what I know he posted on another forum and that forum disbanded. I have not been able to find that tutorial. If someone has it or can lead me to it i would be grateful.

The reason is there are some pens that show up here that amaze me in the makings of them and I want to try to duplicate them to a point to pay thanks to those artists and to see if I can get close to what they have shown. I usually save the pen somewhere on the net but this one I did not. To this day it still amazes me.

Here is the pen I am talking about and here is the second one that came from the first. Each a work of art and a show of patience. Job well done.

http://www.penturners.org/forum/f13/brass-ebony-54029/

http://www.penturners.org/photos/index.php?n=12575

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

KenV

Neat pens - Thanks for the memory John.

Have you contacted the folks at William Woodright to see if they still have that file??

dbledsoe

I downloaded that tutorial and I am sure (almost) that I still have it - somewhere. I have looked on my office computer (don't tell the boss) and I don't have it here. I will look at home tonight and see if I put it on that computer. I may have it copied and in my "someday" file in the shop. It was a very complicated setup that I would never have time or patience to do before I retire. That time is coming soon, so maybe I will get to try it after all.

jttheclockman

I downloaded that tutorial and I am sure (almost) that I still have it - somewhere. I have looked on my office computer (don't tell the boss) and I don't have it here. I will look at home tonight and see if I put it on that computer. I may have it copied and in my "someday" file in the shop. It was a very complicated setup that I would never have time or patience to do before I retire. That time is coming soon, so maybe I will get to try it after all.

Dave that would be cool. I too remember it being somewhat involved but everyone said it could not be done but he proved it could be done and more than once. He also made some cool effect knots with brass inlays. Check out his album.

I know there are many members here that were also members there so I was hoping someone may have saved it. Maybe nice to post it in the library here if anyone feels ambitious to try. It is on my to do list. Pens such as this that use everyday tools and o not require lasers or cnc machines is what I like seeing.

dbledsoe

Well, as much as it hurts me to say it, I was wrong. Okay, I got that over with.
I found the printed copy I had saved and it came from Penturner's Paradise, which is no longer in business. I guess I went tripping through there once upon a time, but I promise I am faithful to IAP - now.
I now have it in a pdf file. I don't know if I can upload that but I will try. If it does not work, maybe someone can tell me how to do it. I don't want to be the only protector of this information.
Hmmmm....the max file size for pdf is 4mb and this thing is 26mb. I can email it to anyone who know how to upload it.

dbledsoe

Warren got it down to 4.1 mb, but it still will not upload. I will keep trying, but anyone who wants it can send me an email address and I will send it to you.

jttheclockman

Maybe you could contact our librarian and he would be able to help and also be able to get it in the library. In the thread that Roy posted he mentioned that is OK to post in the library and for anyone to use it. He was all about sharing. I am in no way able to give computer info. I am lucky I know how to turn it on. :biggrin:

That was the site that I had seen it. But that was some time ago. This could be a stepping stone for others to try or enhance to a method that may produce other effects. This is how we grow. This is the core of this site. Thanks for trying to get this done.

Top Bottom