Yea I know, there are a thousand answers

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Mike Powell

Im looking for a new lathe. I would like something a little bigger and well the HF lathe I bought is about wore out. I would like to keep it under 1500.00. What I am looking at is

Nova 1624-44
http://www.amazon.com/NOVA-24146-1624-44-16-Inch-24-Inch/dp/B0064JIVYS

and the

Jet 1440 VS
https://www.southern-tool.com/store/jet-jwl-1440vs.php

I have been looking at Jet for a while, I really like their product, but now that I have increased my money a little, there are new options.

The main question I have about the nova is how do you change speeds. the HF lathe I have is VS and I really like that option. I don't want to have to change belt positioning every time I want to slow something down and then speed it up. But I also like the extra size that nova gives gives for less money. Please give me your opinions of these two lathes or something similarly priced so I can check them out also.

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Charlie_W

Can't speak for the Jet, but I just saw this Nova with 500.00 off....1,000.00!

This one is a belt changer. Looks like you just pull the lever to loosen and tighten. I have an older Nova 16/26. Wonderful lathe! Mine has an 8 step pulley plus a speed control box which allows 0 - max speed in each range, reverse and a brake feature.
Several of my fellow turners have the Nova DVR lathes. They are sweet! If you can muster the $, go for it. They have the 16 and 20" models.
If you get the swing away extension, that is handy to park the tool rest out of the way.
Even though this lathe is not as heavy, if you weight it, it will help lots if you are turning out of balance items. The smaller footprint is a plus on the Nova too.

Also, right now, Grizzley has a pre order deal on a 20" lathe with 2.5 hp I believe. It has a Reeves drive but seems to be a solid basic lathe.

Good luck!

Ed McDonnell

I would strongly advise against the Jet 1440vs.

It has a reeves drive system. Woodturners fall into one of three camps regarding reeves drives.

Camp 1: Turners who have never owned a lathe with a reeves drive and who might buy one because they don't know any better.

Camp 2: Turners who bought a lathe with a reeves drive because they didn't know any better and who have quickly come to really regret that decision.

Camp 3: Turners who were smart enough to ask before buying and who did not buy a lathe with a reeves drive.

Make sure you end up in camp 3.

Forgetting about the inevitable reliability / maintenance / performance issues associated with a reeves drive, notice that the low end speed is 400 rpm. It's designed for turning relatively small diameter spindles starting with well balanced stock. Put an out of balance blank on that thing and be prepared for lots of excitement and the occasional disaster.

Ed

JimB

I would strongly advise against the Jet 1440vs.

It has a reeves drive system. Woodturners fall into one of three camps regarding reeves drives.

Camp 1: Turners who have never owned a lathe with a reeves drive and who might buy one because they don't know any better.

Camp 2: Turners who bought a lathe with a reeves drive because they didn't know any better and who have quickly come to really regret that decision.

Camp 3: Turners who were smart enough to ask before buying and who did not buy a lathe with a reeves drive.

Make sure you end up in camp

Forgetting about the inevitable reliability / maintenance / performance issues associated with a reeves drive, notice that the low end speed is 400 rpm. It's designed for turning relatively small diameter spindles starting with well balanced stock. Put an out of balance blank on that thing and be prepared for lots of excitement and the occasional disaster.

Ed

Are you sure that is a reeves drive? I watched a video of it and they turned a knob to change speeds, not a lever like a reeves drive usually has. It didn't seem to lock into specific speeds like a reeves drive does. It seemed to be full VS but not EVS.

The Penguin

Yep - on Page 6 it says "Reeves drive"

but this looks to be a bit different. Older Reeves systems had a lever with 5 (or so) fixed locking positions for speed.

this one has a handle that you turn to adjust the speed and an RPM indicator - so it would appear to be much more adjustable speed.

BUT - the slowest speed is still only 400 RPM, which can be way too fast to start many larger turnings.

ToddM

I have a Nova 1624-44 and I love it! once you get used to it you can change the speed pretty quick. Woodcraft has it on sale right now for $999.99

BSea

Also, right now, Grizzley has a pre order deal on a 20" lathe with 2.5 hp I believe. It has a Reeves drive but seems to be a solid basic lathe.

Good luck!
The new lathe from Grizzley is at an introductory price. It's 22" by 42". The drive system is not a reeves drive it's made from the same people that make the Powermatic, and the Jet 16-42. It may not have the same exact specs, but that's what's being said over at Saw Mill Creek. It does require 220 service, and it's advertised as a 3hp motor.
Here's the link: New model- G0766 [Upgrade possible!]

I agree with Penguin on the Jet 1442. 400 is too fast for larger work when it's still rough.

TonyL

I own one and love it - but it ain't perfect. I wouldn't get one without electronic variable speed and without reverse. I use both features all of the time, but there are much better turners than I that do just fine without that functionality. If you patience holds out, I have see them on sale for 15 to 20% off. Sometimes a local family-owned store tries to compete with a chain and offers a additional 5 percentage points over the competition.

Charlie_W

Good luck!
The new lathe from Grizzley is at an introductory price. It's 22" by 42". The drive system is not a reeves drive it's made from the same people that make the Powermatic, and the Jet 16-42. It may not have the same exact specs, but that's what's being said over at Saw Mill Creek. It does require 220 service, and it's advertised as a 3hp motor.
Here's the link: New model- G0766 [Upgrade possible!]

I agree with Penguin on the Jet 1442. 400 is too fast for larger work when it's still rough.

Hey Bob, thanks for clarifying the details on the Griz.

Top Bottom