Yard sales on FB

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

edicehouse

If you are on FB you probably see the yard sale groups. Once and a while I will see where someone gives something away for pick up, then they get mad because the person they gave it to is selling it.

Honestly selling an old stroller for $10 on facebook is a hassle. So IMO if someone takes the time and deals with the messages/messages/no shows, they earned it. As long as what they are doing is not under false pretense. My cat died so I need another TV or something like that.

What we do is not far from that. Think about it, we are driving down the road and see someone with some stumps out front they are getting rid of, we will stop and get them.

What is your opinion?

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

JimB

If someone is giving something away then the person who received it can do whatever they want with it. If the person receiving it misrepresented what they were going to do with it or why they needed it that is different. For example, if I said a non-profit I volunteer at really could use that _________ (fill in the blank) and then I turn around and sell it for my personal profit, that would be wrong.

oldtoolsniper

If I understand you correctly, you are saying; you are willing to find stumps, mill them into pen blanks and give them away for free.

I bet you will have no shortage of people willing to help you not store them at your place.

You paying the shipping too?

Most people want whatever it is hauled away. They don't want to pay the landfill to take it. In essence you are saving them from hauling it and from paying for disposing of it. Here in Iowa the landfill charges you to dispose of things.

You are really paying for it.

Sent from my iPad using Penturners.org mobile app

jttheclockman

I do not see the comparison at all. A stump will go to the landfill. You are helping the environment by taking and repurposing it. If you you give something away for free to a charity and then see the person selling it is down right disgusting but they will have to deal with their maker at a later date. It is out of your hands because you gave it away. How many times do you buy something at a yard sale and then turn it around and sell it on your own for more money. I know people who make a good living at doing this. Nothing wrong with it at all.

As far as your stumps go I hope you make pens out of them instead of firewood but who cares.

leehljp

Member Liaison
In helping my daughter in Missouri cut down a dying tree and then finding out how much the city wanted to come and pick it up, I cut it into 18 inch long sections with the chain saw and set it on the edge of the road. I added a sign: Free firewood. It was gone in 30 minutes.

Sure beats paying the city or county for picking it up. In my hometown the city will pick up for free. If someone decides to pick it up and sell it, that is their prerogative. This situation is on going in my small town. When we place our garbage out, there are two fellows in pickups that drive around at night and early in the morning looking for who ever put out any scrap metal of any kind, - pots pans, AC parts, old mowers, wiring, small appliances. The city will pick them up. But the two fellows in the pickup look for the metal and eventually make money off of it. The city doesn't mind and are happy that they don't have to dispose of it. This is the same basic situation as what you are writing. I have no problem with that.

But to me, if it is free, it is free for you to do with as you want. IF there are no verbal or written stipulations, you can do with as you want and not feel guilty.

Last edited:

eranox

If I don't want to go through the hassle to sell something, I have no problem if the person that receives it sells it. As you said, if it is done under false pretenses (a person claiming they need an item, and then selling it), then that is obviously despicable.

TonyL

Funny timing..I just removed myself from several of those FB groups. I am not comfortable with strangers coming to my house and I don't want to go to theirs (not meeting them in parking lot either). However, I know folks that pick-up some great bargains and never had a problem. As far as someone selling something that I gave them for free, I wouldn't be excited about it, but I wouldn't give it too much thought. I don't know if my response answered your question.

Much peace,

Tony

CREID

Funny timing..I just removed myself from several of those FB groups. I am not comfortable with strangers coming to my house and I don't want to go to theirs (not meeting them in parking lot either). However, I know folks that pick-up some great bargains and never had a problem. As far as someone selling something that I gave them for free, I wouldn't be excited about it, but I wouldn't give it too much thought. I don't know if my response answered your question.

Much peace,

Tony

You might not want to see this Tony.:eek:
Police: Woman says she wants to become serial killer, eat victim

leehljp

Member Liaison
When I was in Japan, I know many foreigners who would go "gomi" hunting. Gomi=Garbage. Up until the mid '90s there were all kinds of good things thrown/set out for gomi. New ski's, glass cased Japanese dolls, nice furniture, two year old working TVs, antique nori (seaweed) glass containers, Tea boxes (large ones etc. Old antique sewing machines, etc.

Guess you can tell I picked up some!

Smitty37

Passed Away Mar 29, 2018
In Memoriam
Well, offer to give something free here and see how many responses you get.....And how long it lasts before it is claimed.....If you have never done that I can assure you it will probably be gone almost before you finish typing. I have many times given away a part that someone needed to finish a pen and so have a lot of other folks here. I don't think I ever asked if the party needing the part was going to sell the pen they wanted it for and I doubt most others do either. Folks like free stuff.

We also often put items out with the trash and leave them on the ground or top of the trash can, some work, some don't but they nearly always disappear before the trash is picked up.

If I don't want it and give it away, I could care less what whoever takes it does with it. But - I do not offer to give away anything where I would have strangers coming to my house to look at it --- too many other things to "look" at that they might think they like better than I do and come back to "appropriate" for themselves.

Top Bottom