Status
Not open for further replies.

maxwell_smart007

Lead Moderator
Staff member
middle of nowhere in the great, white North
Sent an email to find out rough shipping costs; this is what they sent me:

Dear Andrew,

The freight by express is US$21 for first 0.5kgs,and US$6.7 for following each 0.5kgs.If 40sets slimline pen kits,the gross weight of the kits including the packing is about 1kgs.The freight will be US$27.7.The more goods,the average freight will be cheaper.

Best regards,

Dorothy

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
Originally posted by CrazyBear
<br />Checked My Emails Charles, Cant find anything from you.

Unless I am having a doh!!! moment I cant find my Spam filter in hotmail

Your spam filter is under the options menu if I remember correctly. I recent the message re the price list. Hope it makes it this time.

windspinshop

As a future pen kit supplier, I have researched and am currently in negotiations with manufacturers in China and Taiwan. Alparent is correct. XIAMEN RI-ZHENG is a supplier to PennState, CSUSA, and others. Berea is supplied by a company in Taiwan. Berea has a few distributors like Arizona, and I heard they also supply Rockler and Woodcraft. If you look at the original Rcokler scan label, you will see "Made in Taiwan. If one had the resources they could send one of the most popular kits to Taiwan or China, alter it a little and put their brand on it. The worst that can happen is that the big distributors will lower their prices to compete with mine. That will be a better good for all. I think marking up a $.64 slimline basic to $3.99 is a bit much.

Rudy Vey

I just saw this post. My belief is that everyone who is using the very low end (price)slimline or cigar kits is using their stuff - no matter who is selling them. Not so sure if the low priced Berea kits are from them - I think Berea makes their own kits in Taiwan.

bitshird

I just turned an acrylic blank of Ri-zheng acrylic that I got from woodnwhimsies and I thought it would be a bit harder more like the acrylic I get occasionally at work, turned a beautiful pen
I’ve been using their kits since I started turning pens about 3 or 4 months ago, so far I have only had one problem with any of their kits, and it was with the first pen I turned, but it wasn’t mechanical nor plating related, every thing has always fit well but MY pen the refill went dry after about 3 months use and living in the middle of WBFE no place to buy a refill, The god of super merchandizing WAL-MART doesn’t carry cross refills, when woodnwhimsies gets back open I’m ordering a bunch.
The pricing going direct sounds good but since the money is going to china any way if I can shed a little bit here I’d rather, I just had a package get Misplaced by the Post Office, from woodnwhimsies.
They mailed it on the 8th before they shut down for the move, I just got it last Thursday it looked like it had been dragged BEHIND THE TRUCK FROM Jacksonville to my house, and they took time to help me get the package in the middle of their move
Since I usually only order a hundred or so bucks at a time I’ll stick with woodnwhimsies they package their shipments like they know what the post office can screw up..
Ken ferrell

Stacker

Originally posted by Rudy Vey
<br />I just saw this post. My belief is that everyone who is using the very low end (price)slimline or cigar kits is using their stuff - no matter who is selling them. Not so sure if the low priced Berea kits are from them - I think Berea makes their own kits in Taiwan.
It's the other way around,Taiwan makes them exclusively for Berea.

CrazyBear

Well I have registered as they already have my details from earlier contact

I have a previous price list from earlier this month so I will be able to tell you if there are any changes.

from earlier enquiries I felt that their shipping was expensive.

DCBluesman

Passed Away Mar 3, 2016
In Memoriam
I occasionally make purchases from China and find that in 10 kg lots the shipping runs about $15 US per kg (For us Yanks, that means if I buy 22 pounds of stuff it costs me about $7 a pound or less than 50 cents an ounce). For some products, that's expensive, for other products it's cheap. It's all in what you are importing.

GaryMGg

This response is not directed to any single individual. This topic comes up a lot for this vendor. I'm merely a satisfied customer -- no other relationship. I have lots of past experience as a shipper and some as an importer.

The shipping costs are what they are AND are actually less per weight from Rizheng using their negotiated discounts than what most folks will obtain trying to arrange shipping themselves.
Everything is a trade-off; you have to buy enough kits to bump the freight per kit down enough to make it worthwhile OR you're better off buying local.
Compare it to buying retail vs. mail-order: If you go to Woodcraft, you can buy a Cigar for $6.99 plus tax. IF your Woodcraft is local, would you mail-order a single kit from any of our regular vendors and pay the freight to save a $1 on the same kit? Do the math. That's all it is.
The local vendors who carry and resell these kits -- and ther are plenty -- make up for the freight by buying in larger volumes to distribute over a good number of kits and marking up their landed cost.
Having said that, my order was roughly $425. including freight and IF you only look at the freight it was crazy. However, the exact same product ordered locally at the best prices I could find would've cost me over $600.
The freight is only high if you won't or can't buy a large enough volume of products.
Cheers.

Rudy Vey

Originally posted by Stacker
<br />
Originally posted by Rudy Vey
<br />I just saw this post. My belief is that everyone who is using the very low end (price)slimline or cigar kits is using their stuff - no matter who is selling them. Not so sure if the low priced Berea kits are from them - I think Berea makes their own kits in Taiwan.
It's the other way around,Taiwan makes them exclusively for Berea.

Berea has or had their own production in Taiwan (so I was told many years back by the owner). On old pen kit instruction they even had the address listed.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom