WOW!

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Reece

I've been asked to make a pen that has me stumped.

Picture the centreband from the venus rollerball. Now remove all those little glass crystals and replace them with diamonds.

How would one go about creating this? I'm thinking that I'll just visit some jewellery stores and see if they can modify it for me, but does anyone have a better idea?

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

mredburn

IAP Activities Manager
Staff member
The problem is that the crystals are probably glued in. Gluing in diamonds is a bad idea. YOu might have to replace the center band completely with one made to have stones set in it instead of glued in. There are a couple of ways that the diamonds can be set without prongs but depending on the base metal the original centerband is made of it may not be possible without replacing the centerband.

tjseagrove

Discuss a replacement band with jeweler and cost. Add margin and include in your quote. Could even give a few different styles for them to choose from.

In the Barry Gross video on acrylics he mentions a pen and said a jeweler set the stone for him.

Tom

Reece

Make sure you have a "down-payment" and the customer is aware of the potential cost.

Down payment will be very close to 100% of final cost before I start this one, that'll hopefully cover the second point. Today is my fact finding mission to see what that final cost will be.

It's thrilling to have someone ask for a pen like this, I'll be getting some professional photo's taken if it does go ahead. I might even share them :tongue:

ed4copies

Local Chapter Manager
One other "base" I would cover---make certain you get certification from the jeweler that these are diamonds and the grade-weight.

I know I wouldn't be able to tell the diff between diamonds and cubic zirconia---but you want to make sure the customer knows you protected his interests.

Reece

One other "base" I would cover---make certain you get certification from the jeweler that these are diamonds and the grade-weight.

I know I wouldn't be able to tell the diff between diamonds and cubic zirconia---but you want to make sure the customer knows you protected his interests.

Good point, I didn't think of that one. I wouldn't be able to tell the difference either. Thanks Ed.

Reece

Well I spoke with my jeweller, and will soon be delivering a quote for.......

... a pen with a white gold centreband, encrusted with twenty two 3 and 1/2 point diamonds.

Anyone care to take a guess what the price might be?

Rmartin

Higher? Just for the center band? You gotta be kidding me!

Sheeesh, and here I was all happy because I sold a 250 dollar pen today.

I, um, we need to see pics!

Reece

Not quite 5000, but that would be incredible...

$3000 is the price I'll be quoting. If it all goes ahead, there will be photo's shared, but don't expect it to look much different to the Venus kit.

Anyone know what Montblanc charge for the Meisterstuck Diamond pen?

Akula

I would get a second jeweler to consider, a one carat diamond is 100 points, 50 points a half carat and so on...you might be paying a premium to the jeweler. Not all diamonds are equal and your talking small slivers. Just seems high.

Congrats if the sale goes through.

ed4copies

Local Chapter Manager
I would EXPECT the customer to take it to a jeweler, after he purchases, for an appraisal. At least for the purposes of insurance. So, yes, I would also check with more than one jeweler, just to be sure it will "appraise out".

ldb2000

What are you planning to do about the nib/nosecone , clip and finial ? White gold is a different color then any silver colored metal or plating . Chances are that your centerband won't match the rest of the hardware and that could be a problem .

Reece

What are you planning to do about the nib/nosecone , clip and finial ? White gold is a different color then any silver colored metal or plating . Chances are that your centerband won't match the rest of the hardware and that could be a problem .

White gold is rhodium plated, as are the existing components. I'm relying on this meaning they'll match.

Reece

2nd of 3 quotes now off to the customer.

This quote will see the centreband made from palladium rather than white gold, and smaller diamonds. Completed pen - $1500

Top Bottom