Wow! First penturning experience

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
Status
Not open for further replies.

rick_lindsey

Hi guys! I've always been drawn towards wood-turning, and really enjoyed it when I was taking woodshop in middle/high school. It's been over 15 years since I touched a lathe, but I've mentioned to my wife several times in the past that woodturning is something I'd like to do.

She surprised me for fathers day and enrolled me in the local WoodCraft's pen-turning class, and wow, what a blast! We started with a block of maple to practice making it round, and then coves and beads, finally turning it into a cute little honey dipper. We then went on to make a honduran rosewood European style pen. Way cool! I gave the pen to my Dad for his birthday (which was on the same day as the class -- we met him for dinner after I got out of the class) and he really liked it. I was really surprised at how well my first attempt turned out, but unfortunately I didn't get any pictures of it.

I've looked into getting a lathe in the past, but didn't have the cash at the time, and my interest moved on to other more readily available activities, but now that I've actually gotten to spend a few hours making shavings, I'm hooked! As I told my wife, "This needs to be my Zen Activity!" :).

When researching in the past, I was thinking I wanted a slightly larger lathe, but having worked on a Jet Mini at the class, I'm convinced that it would be plenty to get me going, and keep me going for quite awhile.

I need to work on a "christmas list" -- other than the lathe itself (though I'd welcome suggestions on that front, I'm leaning towards either a new Jet Mini, or whatever I can find used in craigslist at the moment) what other tools am I going to need? What other tools am I going to want in short order? What's the cheapest way to get setup with reasonable quality tools that I won't be swearing at, but that won't break the bank either?

thanks,
Rick

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

cdcarter

Rick,

I'm fairly new to this as well (a few months). I started with a Craftsman I had bought at a garage sale, but I was going broke replacing parts, so I went to a Rikon 12 x 26, which Wood Craft had on sale for $199.

I looked at the Jet Mini, but it was $100 more and only had a 10" swing. Felt I got more lathe with the Rikon. Big difference is that it isn't variable speed, but moving the belt takes me about 30 seconds or less. I've been extremely happy with it. I'd buy it even at the normal price of $250.

Carl

eskimo

I also got the Rikon from Woodcraft & have not had any problems. Changing the belts is fairly easy, particularly since they can be accessed from the front. I believe that Woodcraft is having a significant sale later on in July (Maybe around the 28th?), so maybe you can lobby for an early Christmas.

JimGo

Rick,
If you have the money, the VS Jet Mini will be a great addition to your shop. However, if money is a little tight, you might also consider the VS Turn Crafter Pro from Penn State Industries (but get it through Pens of Color, Woodturningz, or one of the other "alternative" suppliers - you'll save money). I used to own a non-VS TC Pro, and it was a great machine. I only got rid of it because Amazon had the VS on sale for an incredible price, and I was getting ready to do a very large order and wanted an excuse for a VS.

cdcarter

They do have a big one-day sale the 28th (+/-), but at my local store, most power tools are 10% off throughout July.

Originally posted by eskimo
<br />I also got the Rikon from Woodcraft & have not had any problems. Changing the belts is fairly easy, particularly since they can be accessed from the front. I believe that Woodcraft is having a significant sale later on in July (Maybe around the 28th?), so maybe you can lobby for an early Christmas.

dbriski

I have the Rikon (for little over a year) I have turned many pens and small items, also an ~11" platter and a 11"diamiter x ~12" tall Cookie Jar on that guy and I can't see myself turning many things bigger than that, maybe a longer spindle with the bed extention. The Rikon did bog down and stall out a bit with that big Cookie jar but I was pretty much maxing out the lathe with that guy.

gerryr

A good lathe is a good lathe, dime a dozen. I don't have a VS and don't really feel like I need one. My Jet mini is running fine and I can't think of a good enough excuse to buy anything fancier. Whatever lathe you get make sure it has a #2 morse taper on the headstock and tailstock.

Now, about everything else. You will need some lathe tools. I don't happen to think the sets for penturners are wort much. Buy full size tools. You could get by with just 2 tools, a parting tool being one and the other either a skew or a spindle gouge depending on which one you are comfortable using. You don't really need more than that to start. Here's a list of fairly vital tools not in any particular order. You will note that it's not a short list.

#2MT jacobs chuck for drilling on the lathe - if you have a drill press you don't need this

If you are going to drill on the lathe, then you also need a chuck to hold the wood. The PSI Barracuda is probably about as good a deal as you can find.

#2MT 60 degree live center, check out the Little Machine Shop

drill bits - buy the big set at Harbor Freight and you'll pretty much be set for life

4" or 6" calipers, I have a dial caliper, others prefer digital

Some way to cut accurately cut blanks to length for the tubes. I use a Ryobi 9" tabletop bandsaw, but when I started I did the cutting with a miter box and handsaw.

Pen mill, PSI makes a decent set. The PSI set has a 5/8" head which is more useful than the 1/2" heads that some others sell. You can also get a 3/4" head for it.

Some means to sharpen your tools. If you use a spindle gouge then I think you really need a grinder. If you use a skew, you only really need a diamond stone.

A mandrel, Woodcraft sells a fairly cheap and reliable mandrel. I recommend buying two. I have six and sometimes that isn't enough.

Sandpaper, Norton 3X in 180-400 grits. Yes there is a difference in sandpaper. 3M sandpaper is garbage compared to Norton 3X. Klingspor also makes excellent sandpaper

Micro-mesh abrasive pads

Some kind of finish. Check the finishing forum and you'll get lots of information on what to avoid.

Some means of pressing the pen parts together. There are lots of alternatives, just don't waste your money on one of those pen presses that lots of companies sell.

Eventually your drill bits will get dull, so you need some means of sharpening them. Lots of us here use a Drill Doctor. Amazon sometimes has them on sale at very good prices.

Lastly and most importantly, you need something to keep the wood dust from turning and sanding out of your lungs. A decent dust mask is better than nothing. I use a Triton Powered Respirator and I love it. Even better is a true dust collection system, but that will cost more than the lathe. If you're turning plastic, you must have a face mask, because if you have a catch while turning plastic it can shatter and sharp fragments flying at your face at high speed isn't fun.

Others can add to this if I left anything out and I probably did.

Your wife may soon rue the day she signed you up for that class.[:D]

Rmartin

It can get expensive to do penturning, but buying stuff is part of the fun.

I have a Jet mini and love it. Mine has a belt which needs to be adjusted to change speeds, only takes a few seconds, but I leave it on the highest speed.

You'll need quality turning tools. Some people use one tool for most turning, but I like using a variety.

I think a drill press and a quality centering vise is essential.

For creating special turning blanks, you will need either a miter saw with radial arm, band saw, or table saw.

Then there is always the "extras" which need to be purchased for various kits.

With prudent shopping, a nicely equipped shop can be had for less than a thousand dollars, which may sound like a lot for a hobby, but it's still cheaper than a Bass fishing boat.[:D]

dalemcginnis

Local Chapter Leader
You might want to check out the PSI website. They have some beginning pen turner packages that include a lathe.
http://www.pennstateind.com/Merchant2/merchant.mvc?Screen=GETTING-STARTED&Store_Code=PSI

BernieW

I have the Rikon also. I have had it for a while and run it hard. Haven't had a bit of trouble with it and it has done everything I have asked of it. I have made pens, boxes, mini birdhouses, christmas ornaments, bowls and several Hollow Forms with 2 being 10" by 14". You get that big just take light cuts and take your time. You have gotten some good advice.

JWS Penworks

I have the Delta Mini which can be had new at Amazon.com for $155.00 It get's a bad rap because it is not VS (however, belt change is super easy) and because in the past the lock down levers were plastic and they would break. They have corrected that problem and it is now a very capable lathe for the price.

John

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom