Would You Put CA On Casein?

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

EricJS

I know Casein will take a good polish, but I've heard it will stain/discolor in time.

Does anyone recommend applying a CA finish to Casein or Alt. Casein? I'm certain that this make a substantial improvement in the look. What are your opinions & experiences?

Thank you.

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

PenMan1

In a word. NO!

Real casein is a natural product. It needs a little bit of expansion and contraction room.

IMHO, putting CA over casein would drastically INCREASE the risk of cracking or chipping.

PenMan1

Also, fwiw, I and several others here have conducted staining and durability tests. We considered the staining myth "busted".

One member left a stick of casein in a bowl of water for over a week with no adverse effects.

One piece of advice, don't use a pen mill to square barrels. Sand them square. One chip from the pen mill could cause a crack years later.

OKLAHOMAN

Guess what...............I totally agree, no finish needed not only for the reason Andy gave but it shines...shines...shines
In a word. NO!

Real casein is a natural product. It needs a little bit of expansion and contraction room.

IMHO, putting CA over casein would drastically INCREASE the risk of cracking or chipping.

Top Bottom