Would it be possible to...

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

jmiket91

I'm going to make pens for my roommate and suitemates at the end of the school year as 'thank God this year of college is finally done' gifts. My roommate earned the nickname Cabbage at the beginning of the year (don't ask...). Would it be possible to create a shredded cabbage blank, much like the shredded money or chili pepper blank, for me to turn his pen out of?

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

mredburn

IAP Activities Manager
Staff member
My first concern would be that the cabbage leaves would have to be totally covered in resin. Otherwise decay would set in and that might make a mess of an otherwise great gift.

bobskio2003

I highly doubt it since Cabbage is mostly water. Maybe if you dehydrate it? You might want to consider turning a pen out of Cabbage bark. Its a tree with dark wood and you would be turning wood and not bark. Just a thought, Bob I.

jmiket91

My first concern would be that the cabbage leaves would have to be totally covered in resin. Otherwise decay would set in and that might make a mess of an otherwise great gift.
Yeah, that was my only concern. I just don't know a good way to actually stop the leaves from decaying.

akbar24601

How about instead of shredding the cabbage, wrap the tube with the cabbage leaf and then pour. Similar to the snake skin blanks.

jmiket91

How about instead of shredding the cabbage, wrap the tube with the cabbage leaf and then pour. Similar to the snake skin blanks.

I think that makes the most sense, but I'm still not too sure if that would allow the cabbage to decay. I guess I'm just going to have to try something and hope it works.

mrcook4570

You could use a photograph of cabbage wrapped around a tube and cast in resin. Or just engrave the name 'Cabbage' into the pen.

SonOfMartin

Do a Google Search on Preserve Fall Leaves. You'll find lots of information on how crafty folks preserve the colors on fall leaves so they can use them in their crafts for the rest of the year. I don't see why you couldn't do the same to a cabbage ....

jmiket91

I found some really good methods of preservation with a google search. I even found a method of preservation that keeps the leaves flexible, so I could even wrap them around the tubes and then cast them.

leehljp

Member Liaison
What you are wanting to do is doable. I have a food dryer (for fruits and vegetables) and I am sure it would dry cabbage into a hard crumbly state if needed. Shred the cabbage, dry it, put it in a mold, and cast.

Cabbage can be dried to the same amount as coffee beans, peas and peppers, flowers etc. Just guessing, I would dry at least a quart full, which will probably dry to 1/5th of the original amount.

jmiket91

What you are wanting to do is doable. I have a food dryer (for fruits and vegetables) and I am sure it would dry cabbage into a hard crumbly state if needed. Shred the cabbage, dry it, put it in a mold, and cast.

Cabbage can be dried to the same amount as coffee beans, peas and peppers, flowers etc. Just guessing, I would dry at least a quart full, which will probably dry to 1/5th of the original amount.

This is probably the route I'm going to go. Thanks so much. Pics will be posted in May when I get it done.

CHEF

You can bye dehydrated cabbage from deli shops we used it all the time when I was a Chef in the Navy (hard as rock )
------------------------------Brian-----------------------

PenMan1

Use the cabbage "stalk"

You should be able to dehydrate (use a jerky maker, etc) the cabbage stalk, then cast it in polyester resin. I have done that with pineapple and it works fine.

Some of the coolest things that I have done came about by breaking all the rules.

Top Bottom