World's Biggest Pen???

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from cjaussiepens

Status
Not open for further replies.

cjaussiepens

This is a working (ie.writing ) model that is made of Australian Red Cedar, hollowed out to a wall thickness of 30 mm and assembled onto the metal pieces which were also turned from castings. It was made as a showpiece for the 2005 Proserpine Turnout which ran in early November. It created quite some interest and will reside beside the 8ft.6in. bowl in the local museum. Oh, its 12ft. 8ins. tall.

200511288410_Pen%20and%20CJ.jpg

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Darley

Cj that is really good miss this wood turner week end show, was invited but duty of call got priority, do you think they will put on they web front page the how to do this pen like for the giand bowl? I heard as well that they try to put it on the world Ginness book it's right? would be nice to know how they did the clip, CB, and Nib, what do they use for the ink cartridge ? with one litre of ink you write several pages [:D], more infos on this pen would be welcome, thanks

cjaussiepens

To answer the more serious questions,it is fitted with a roller point, the type used to mark timber and steel. Behind the nib there is a cavity that holds the ink (paint)Serge, it will go into the World book of Records, I think someone has a piece of poly pipe dressed up as a pen in there at the moment at about 6ft.6in. the clip is just stock alum with a Cedar overlay.Jim we built a 15ft. lathe out of salvaged parts powered by a 10 hp petrol engine.
The pen weighs 120 kgs. You could make about 5000 standard pens from the wood in this one. It provided a lot of challenges as everything was done in house. ...Cj ...........

Dario

Cool pen! WOW!!!

Looks like solid wood...I want to see the drill bit he used on that one [;)]. Is the wood by itself or is it reinforced with a pipe inside?

Darley

Originally posted by Dario
<br />Cool pen! WOW!!!

Looks like solid wood...I want to see the drill bit he used on that one [;)]. Is the wood by itself or is it reinforced with a pipe inside?

Dario I think Cj put some witjuti grubs in the wood to do the drilling [:D] just kidding[:p]

if you don't know anytings about the witjuti grub look at this.

http://tinyurl.com/3tvf8

Cj hope the pen goes into the Guinness record book, any chance of some photos of the lathe or are you going to do this on the Home page of the Prosperpine wood turner web site? thanks for sharring

ctEaglesc

Passed Away Jul 4, 2008
In Memoriam
Big deal bushing to bushing.
Not much imagination or creativity/
Certainly not new or innovative.probably a sure thing for the PMG
[:D]

Darley

Originally posted by cteaglesc
<br />Big deal bushing to bushing.
Not much imagination or creativity/
Certainly not new or innovative.probably a sure thing for the PMG
[:D]

This is true Eagle, you right but tell me why not to send them 1 of your beautifull laminated home made pen blank to turn a pen this size , I 'm prety sure they will add your name on the Guinness world record book, Imaginantion or creativity ? well could you point me a suplier for this type of lathe ??

cjaussiepens

Serge,thanks for the comments to poor old Eagle's post, you certainly don't have to have an imagination to get a picture from his postings. Its not everyone's cup of tea but that's what so good about these forums, everyone gets to see all sorts of pens as well as the character of its members. Catch you later....Cj ........

Gary Max

If that makes the record books it will not be there for long.Heck if I remove my tail stock there would be no limit to how long of a pen I coud make. All I need to do is add carriers
To support the lenght. We got trees in the back yard that would go 80 foot easy and are only a couple of inchs round, So I guess I am missing How that is a big pen.

Dario

Easiest I can think of to beat this is use bamboo (for natural body material). It won't be proportional but you can easily get the longest pen title [:D].

I know I've played with bamboos around 50 feet long (maybe more)! Put 2 together and you have a 100 footer pen LOL. No need to drill too!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom