Workshop/Sketch Pencil Disassembly

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
Soak it in acetone to dissolve the CA Glue. Depending on the blank and what kind of finish is on it, you will probably ruin the finish on the blank. But this should loosen the connector between the two halves. Then use the transfer punches to tap out the top thread connector. The nib connector should just unthread from the tube.

KenV

Dale --

CA tends to be brittle and weak in shear -- Good thing or bad thing depending on the occasion -

As often than not, if the CA was lightly used -- a couple of sharp raps on a transfer punch will pop it free. (sharp raps are not whaling on it like a blacksmith forming steel)

If not -- the CA soak process and time will soften the CA - and then the sharp rap will pop it free. (if you CA the tubes in place, the soak may result in more pieces than hoped for.)

Last edited:

Mack C.

Passed Away Sep 29, 2018
In Memoriam
I need to disassemble my workshop pencil and was hoping to do so without damaging it. I've taken Slims apart before but this pencil has a coupler that is glued in with CA.
Any suggestions from those more experienced would be greatly appreciated.

I do have the punch set from HF if that will help.

http://www.pennstateind.com/library/PKSPCL_ins.pdf

Thanks
Dale
I would attempt to take it apart using a collet chuck. Tape the end of the pencil away from the nib, and insert it into a collet of the appropriate diameter.

Place the collet on the lathe with the pencil inserted, and attempt to wiggle the nib end. It will eventually come apart.

Then you can use your transfer punch set as needed.

A lesson to be learned here is never never use CA to join couplers!:biggrin:

Here's hoping you have a collet chuck and the appropriate collet!

Last edited:

79spitfire

I've built some of these, how would you get the pressed on collet that holds the lead apart?

KenV

Dale -- memory kicked in --

CA glue gets quite soft at about 150 degrees F -- heating the coupling with direct contact like a soldering iron can softens the CA -- it cools fast so you have to be quick and may have to iterate and reheat as the glue cools quickly.

Have done the heat with slim lines but not the shop pencil.

Dale Parrott

Thank you Gentlemen for all your suggestions. I was able to get it apart. I didn't glue the coupler that holds the 2 tubes together but the one about an inch down the top tube that attaches the cap to the lead holder.. It has to be glued , no other way. I think it would be better if it was built with a single tube, maybe next time if I remember.:redface:

Top Bottom