Work in progress

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from Janster

Janster

Trying something different for me. Working in pretty shallow depths trying to keep it all together. I drilled two holes at 45° top to bottom ( four all together ). I then turned super small White Inlace to fill the 7mm tubes. Then the difficult task of cleaning out the 27/64th tube for hardware fixment. Long slow proccess but I "think" it's going to work. Just a learning thing and it'll be easier IF there is a next time. We'll see how well I can remove all the protusions, if I can without "blowing " up the blank of Spalted Sycamore! C~N~C welcomed. I'll post the results on Monday or Tuesday. Sorry for the point~n~shoot pics but thats what it is for now! Be well......Jan
WIP3_zpsb75de1e2.jpg

WIP2_zps51b7032e.jpg

WIP1_zps806b6b8a.jpg

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

PenMan1

Just thinking out loud here...... WHAT IF.... You filled and glued the diagonal holes with the AA, and squared off the excess material with a belt sander BEFORE putting in the tube?

I DON'T know if it would work for your application or not, but when I do stuff like this, I drill the "main hole" last and then insert the pen tube. Cleaning out the entire length of a pen tube is a P.I.T.A.

PenMan1

Or just saw off the protrusions with the band saw (or even a coping saw or a mini hacksaw)...but still drilling the "tube hole" last? Just seems easier that way to me.... Again, just thinking out loud...

Last edited:

Janster

Just thinking out loud here...... WHAT IF.... You filled and glued the diagonal holes with the AA, and squared off the excess material with a belt sander BEFORE putting in the tube?

I DON'T know if it would work for your application or not, but when I do stuff like this, I drill the "main hole" last and then insert the pen tube. Cleaning out the entire length of a pen tube is a P.I.T.A.
Good idea. This IS why we post here, at least for me, it is a learning proccess and I appreciate your input! Thanks...........Jan

PenMan1

I look forward to seeing your results. By us "thinking out loud" on processes, we both benefit because you may very well find a way that works better than mine, or make improvements to the processes we discuss.... We all benefit when that happens. We all keep our propriety processes, but still advance the art.

Interesting idea Jan. I think I would have glued in the angle parts before I drilled and put in the tube or other material. Should give you some interesting results I cannot wait to see the end result.

Last edited:

Dale Allen

Now that I see the goal was to use the brass tubes on an angle, I'm not sure drilling after would have worked very well.
I've tried something similar and the bit does not like it when it hits the brass at an angle.

Top Bottom