woodworking technique help needed

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from Rmartin

Rmartin

I've received a commision to make a reproduction of an 100 year old hall tree bench. It has lots of custom work. I'm going to purchase some onlays for the piece, but I'm not sure how to go about making this detail in the picture below. Any suggestions?

Attachments

• halltree.jpg
    halltree.jpg
    77.9 KB · Views: 168
  • detail.jpg
    detail.jpg
    71.4 KB · Views: 160
Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

JohnU

I would contact one of the guys with a beal wizard (not sure if spelling is correct). Cut out complete circle, turn on lathe, then have wizard put the notches, or use a dremel if you have a steady hand, then cut inner hole with scrollsaw, since its only half, and sand to fit. Then fill any voids along the inner joint of the hole and dowel with stainable putty or sawdust and glue before staining. Just what I would do, not sure if its what you should do. good luck!

KenV

Best guess is that those are glued on carvings -- and they can be found from the catalogs like Van Dyke Restorers or similar. Bead carving can be done separtly and place on with some hide glue. That is a lot easier to learn on than carving in place.

Mahogany??

reddwil

Richard, I had to make a very similar peice a while back. I used oak because of the strength. I drilled a hole in square stock, cut out the circle on the band saw and spent a few hours with a dremel and sand paper. Not real hard, just a little time.

Rmartin

Thanks for the advice guys!

Looks like I've got a bit of hand and chisel work ahead.

The piece is being made out of red oak.

I borrowed a dremel tool a few years ago, not really sure what I used it for, but I remember I went through a bunch of attachments in a matter of minutes. The tool seemed cheap and not heavy duty enough for me so I never used one again. I may have to look into this tool again.

fernhills

I would glue two pieces together using br. paper bag in the glue joint. Turn it on the lathe. break them apart and then steam bend it to fit around. Kerf the back if you have to.

alphageek

Former Moderator
My 2cents... If you are thinking about a dremel, look into the stylus. Got to HD or somewhere and hold it in your hand. It looks a little strange but is MUCH easier to control than the classic shaped ones.

KenV

White Oak will look good, but will be a challenge for carving the details. Red Oak would not carve those well at all!!. Hard to tell from the graining but the original looked to be mahogany or a plain wood stained to look mahogany.

If you are going to reproduce those carvings around the mirror - look to a Foredom or similar flex shaft tool to help provide durability in the tool. They have carving attachments that will cut the wood well.

Top Bottom